• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have current Egoiste, and like it a lot in the winter - too sweet for my taste in hot weather. Haven't tried any of the vintage Chanels actually, will have to get around to it sometime.

YSL Parfums Corp. era Kouros today, from a 1988 bottle (it actually has the original "Paris" labeling from the Charles of the Ritz era but the batch code says 88, so I think just leftover packaging). I have a bottle from the very end of the "metal shoulders" packaging - so 2010-11 range - that I quite liked, but after comparing I think this is one where the vintage hype is justified. The point of Kouros is the dirty/clean contrast - hence the 'bathroom puck' associations people have, though it's always been more 'upscale gym locker room' for me - and the old stuff with a heavier dose of civet really slams that home.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, Egoiste is definitely not an everyday scent, even in fall and winter. That honor goes to the ubiquitous Bleu de Chanel, also created by Polge, which he describes as masculine and the "opposite" of Egoiste. Egoiste is one of the most romantic mens fragrances ever and best reserved for a special occasion.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’ve been wearing Antaeus a lot which was not a love at first but it really has grown on me. I always liked the first few hours, now I could live in it. Contrastingly I’ve been wearing Do Son EDP a bunch too.

has anyone sampled/own anything from Les Bains Guerbois? They caught my eye on the Premiere Avenue site. They use some master perfumers. Dominique Ropion, Fanny Bal, Duchaufour, Michel Almairac.The perfumes go through the historic years of the now hotel. It was a nightclub and a “spa” before that. Joy Division recorded that famous set there and they have classy bottles but will the scents be any good?
I'm highly intrigued by this Les Bains Guerbois.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have current Egoiste, and like it a lot in the winter - too sweet for my taste in hot weather. Haven't tried any of the vintage Chanels actually, will have to get around to it sometime.

YSL Parfums Corp. era Kouros today, from a 1988 bottle (it actually has the original "Paris" labeling from the Charles of the Ritz era but the batch code says 88, so I think just leftover packaging). I have a bottle from the very end of the "metal shoulders" packaging - so 2010-11 range - that I quite liked, but after comparing I think this is one where the vintage hype is justified. The point of Kouros is the dirty/clean contrast - hence the 'bathroom puck' associations people have, though it's always been more 'upscale gym locker room' for me - and the old stuff with a heavier dose of civet really slams that home.
I really got to get my hands on Kouros.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really got to get my hands on Kouros.

It's a contender for my #1 all-time favorite. For me it is a year-rounder, but I love it most in the summer.

Vintage is on the pricier side but it isn't unicorn territory -- circa $120/50ml, not at all cheap but in line with modern niche.

The below is a pretty comprehensive guide for vintage-shopping if you're interested...

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, check out this lady's stash she is selling from Hawaii. It's a ******* museum of good stuff, holy hell!

Wow, that's an insane library is right! Thinking of picking up some decants of legendary reference frags.

Wore vintage Le 3eme Homme today. Wow, only had a small sample vial of modern version and picked up a beautiful vintage new bottle in the older Art Deco design. Stunning. The vintage strikes me as deeper in profile, more three-dimensional somehow in the depth of the floral heart, and warm vanillic tonka in the musky, woody and incredibly smooth dry down.

On a vintage tear recently with bottles of Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Eau Sauvage Parfum, and the Caron this past week. And bottles of vintage Dior Eau Sauvage Extreme and Guerlain Derby on the way.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's an insane library is right! Thinking of picking up some decants of legendary reference frags.

Wore vintage Le 3eme Homme today. Wow, only had a small sample vial of modern version and picked up a beautiful vintage new bottle in the older Art Deco design. Stunning. The vintage strikes me as deeper in profile, more three-dimensional somehow in the depth of the floral heart, and warm vanillic tonka in the musky, woody and incredibly smooth dry down.

On a vintage tear recently with bottles of Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Eau Sauvage Parfum, and the Caron this past week. And bottles of vintage Dior Eau Sauvage Extreme and Guerlain Derby on the way.

Oooo, vintage Derby... now THAT's a unicorn!

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Playing copycat with Rive Gauche Pour Homme today. I get the point that it's not especially unique, but it smells great and has solid performance. More angular and cold than Azzaro, which makes it feel more formal to my mind. Great suit and tie frag (not that that’s relevant these days).

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sampled a current Creed GIT. Wow, major meh. Smells super generic and synthetic.

Maybe it wasn't this way in previous versions. Glad I only put a couple dabs on my wrist as I sense in larger quantities this would give me a solid headache the way Aventus does.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So my girlfriend has a bottle of L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzing!, which is absolutely great. She gave me her sample after she bought it. Recently she discovered there was chatter about the post Shiseido purchase of L'Artisan brand reformulating Dzing and the older clear bottles being the prior formulation. Naturally we got our hands on a sample of the old and it is slightly different. I bought her old bottle and she got her hands on the old. We are both happy, but yeah they are different. This stinks (pun intended)!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads