• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorio vs Stile Latino

dovsr18

Reaction score
I've seen threads discussing each of these but no direct comparison. Both are "downscale" lines of uber-expensive makers (Attolini in the case of SL, Kiton in the case of Sartorio). Both appear to be aimed at younger consumers, featuring "modern"cuts, high armholes, short rises, etc. Sartorio has some distinctive "casual" looking suits, with washed fabrics, and seems intent on screaming "handwork!" With exaggerated pick stitching, fabric folding around the collar, etc. Both are available at similar prices on Ebay from good sellers, though Sartorio is usually somewhat higher.

Had anyone had an opportunity to try and compare the two? I'm looking for a RTW suit with freedom of movement of the arms, natural shoulders, etc. These two seem the closest to what I want but I have no basis for comparison.

Thanks!

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The particular SL i have has shorter-than-traditional rise on the trousers, but jacket is proper traditional coat length. Pick stitching is not exaggerated (or atleast its obscured by the cloth). Not sure what you mean by "fabric folding". Doesnt appear that fashion forward. Very comfortable to wear. No comments on Sartorio.

dovsr18

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Would you say SL is about right for the features I'm after (natural shoulders, higher armholes?

Wicky

Reaction score
SL's cut is quite similar to Attolini yet, in my view, just a little shorter jackets and lower rise of pants. Fabric is "less conservative", although I have some non conservative fabric Cesare Attolini suits too. SL definately has natural shoulders (no padding) and high armholes and a nice waist supression.

dovsr18

Reaction score
Thanks. Wicky. I've never had the pleasure of trying on an Attolini but I think I understand what their silhouette is like in general.

Any Sartorio owners want to chime in? Anyone who's tried both?

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My only experience with Sartorio is a pale blue linen SC I own. I love the fabric and construction-wise it's great too. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the extremely (unnaturally) high buttoning point. No experience with Stile Latino.

MDeKelver

Reaction score
Just to keep this discussion going,

Anyone have experience shopping SL suits via Sartoriale.com? Is there value in a $800 suit? They certainly look modern, and the Neopolitan shoulder is very nice.

Mattia

Reaction score
I own several Sartorio suits and one SL suit. The SL suit is from the company's "Vintage" line. The rise on the SL suit is quite short and the pants are substantially slimmer than the Sartorio suits. Both have excellent fabric and cuts. Pick stitching in the SL seems more pronounced than in the Sartorio suits. Also to note, the SL suit I own is half canvases, whereas the Sartorio are fully canvased. FWIW, my favorite suit is a Sartorio. Can't go wrong with them IMO.

dovsr18

Reaction score
+1 on Sartorio. I recently bought one from Sartoriale and love it. My only mistake was accidentally getting one with pleats (ugh) but I had my tailor take them out. Thle shoulders are excellent if you like really natural, as are the sleeveheads. Bear in mind it's a high button stance - but not as high as many. The canvassing is very light and most of the suits are unlined. Great for summer.

My only beef is that some of the sewing, while done by hand, is somewhat soppy and almost coming apart in places. May need upkeep by a competent tailor.

I'd never pay anything like retail for one, but 700-750 is ok. However, there are better deals - I've bought 2 Sartoria Castangia suits for under 600 each recently. And you can get a Partenopea suit for 700-750 too.

dovsr18

Reaction score
Update: since my last post, my Sartorio is literally falling apart; there are loose threads and poor stitching everywhere and a string got caught on the pants pocket button and pulled, warping the back vent. It can be fixed easily enough but I'm very disappointed in the quality of an expensive suit like this. I still like aspects of the suit as noted above, but if the construction is crap none of that is worth much to me. I recommend not to buy, unless you want to have your tailor try to finish the whole suit properly. Overall one of the biggest purchase mistakes I've made in a while.

Last edited:

Mattia

Reaction score
I am sorry to hear that this has been your experience. Perhaps the seller can make some complaint on your behalf? All of the Sartorio suits I own have been able to withstand my use. Not that I am beating them up per say, but I do wear them for work and social occassions without a thought about them holding up. Maybe you got a "lemon"?

MDeKelver

Reaction score
I received a Stile Latino yesterday. Very nice suit on cut and features: 3 roll 2, canvassed (partially probably), very very scant shoulder padding (it might be only the canvas) and a beautiful Neopolitan shoulder. Even the trousers have a button front (no zipper). There is some pick stitching. Not top line on the finishing and handwork (hanging threads, etc.). I'll see what my tailor says when he gets into it.

I wonder if some of these lines are factory seconds, where lining and finishing is down-market where there are slight flaws (an Attolini second?) because there are a few pulled yarns on the sleeve cuff, and a slight discolouration on the back of the shoulder. Not water or sunlight damage, but just a bit of a wave which I noticed...nobody else will. But hey, it is a $700 internet suit NWT so I got what I expected. Plus with that style, nobody around me can get anything like this (Canada).

dovsr18

Reaction score
I would consider Sartorio again (obviously making sure there's a strong return policy), but not for more than 500. Above that, there are just too many better options.

Did I get a "lemon"? Maybe. But the stitching looks sloppy in pictures of other Sartorio suits I've seen, too, now that I'm looking for it. Yet, if you have found your suit to be durable, mine may indeed be the exception.

But the bottom line for me is there's no reason to take a chance on Sartorio again because at 700-800, the options are abundant.

I mentioned I've found Sartoria Castangia suits BELOW that range fairly regularly (500-600), and it's a vastly superior suit to anything by Sartorio (and a perennial top-tier with Kiton et al. in the "RTW suit hierarchy thread"). I guess Castangia suffers from not being in a hotspot (Sardinia doesn't exactly have that Neopolitan cachet). And of course they don't have Kiton's attitude that pricing stuff higher only makes it more exclusive and thus more attractive to the target audience.

Incidentally, Castangia suits have a great silhouette and the most natural shoulders of any suit I own.

Certain brands just don't come down on price on the secondary market as much as others. Isaia, for example: there's no reason Isaia should consistently cost more than Sartoria Partenopea on the secondary market. The quality of SP is as good or better. Yet SP suits can be had for 700-800, and Isaia virtually never goes below 1000 (other than an EBay seller who sells very old and boxy lines). Is it the name?

In any event, Sartorio appears overpriced to me - especially if we are to believe the high-$5000's MSRP that Sartoriale bandies about (which I don't).

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would consider Sartorio again (obviously making sure there's a strong return policy), but not for more than 500.  Above that, there are just too many better options.

Did I get a "lemon"?  Maybe.  But the stitching looks sloppy in pictures of other Sartorio suits I've seen, too, now that I'm looking for it. Yet, if you have found your suit to be durable, mine may indeed be the exception.

But the bottom line for me is there's no reason to take a chance on Sartorio again because at 700-800, the options are abundant.

I mentioned I've found Sartoria Castangia suits BELOW that range fairly regularly (500-600), and it's a vastly superior suit to anything by Sartorio (and a perennial top-tier with Kiton et al. in the "RTW suit hierarchy thread").  I guess Castangia suffers from not being in a hotspot (Sardinia doesn't exactly have that Neopolitan cachet).  And of course they don't have Kiton's attitude that pricing stuff higher only makes it more exclusive and thus more attractive to the target audience.

Incidentally, Castangia suits have a great silhouette and the most natural shoulders of any suit I own.

Certain brands just don't come down on price on the secondary market as much as others.  Isaia, for example: there's no reason Isaia should consistently cost more than Sartoria Partenopea on the secondary market.  The quality of SP is as good or better.  Yet SP suits can be had for 700-800, and Isaia virtually never goes below 1000 (other than an EBay seller who sells very old and boxy lines).  Is it the name?

In any event, Sartorio appears overpriced to me - especially if we are to believe the high-$5000's MSRP that Sartoriale bandies about (which I don't).

So... where does one buy Castagnia suits? I only rarely see them on the Web and have never seen one in a store ( in the SanFrancisco Area) For years I've heard that they have an excellent reputation.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads