• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb 'City II' vs. Edward Green 'Chelsea'

Knowledge is King

Reaction score

Do any of you find the swan's neck stitching on the upper part of the Chelsea to be a little too stylistic?

You're over thinking this man. These are two of the most classic shoes you could possibly buy -- classic english design by the best english rtw producers. neither posess details that are too stylistic.

Sonny58

Reaction score
This is StyleForum for goodness sake. Isn't that what we do here?

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My vote is for the EG but that is just because I find them comfortable and the 888 fit my foot perfectly.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both are beautiful, but I like prefer the Lobb (in the pictures, I don't own either).

dng992

Reaction score
I like EG 202 or G&G GG06 better. I have JL City 2 and they are fairly pointy, more so than EG 82. Size 10 USD btw.
sorry to revive this post from 4/5 years ago! Im considering the EG 202 as I currently own C&Js hallam and dislike the pointedness. Alternatives to EG202 or ?

Denar78

Reaction score
I’m not a big fan of 202, way too round and gives the shoes an overly casual feel. I have the Chelsea in 82 (black and brown) and the City II (in black and brown suede).
Speaking black oxfords, I’d go for the Chelsea any day, they look and feel more luxurious, more satisfying overall. The City II is of course a great shoe, but it feels rather banal and doesn’t procure any particular excitement to wear. They do the job, basta. At this price point, EG Chelsea is better by a mile.
In brown suede, the City II are a totally different shoe. They have this luxurious look and feel which bring them
closer to EG Chelsea. I’d still go with EG

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not a big fan of 202, way too round and gives the shoes an overly casual feel.

I would agree about this, I have the Southwold on the 202 last and it's pretty wide and not so elegant. The 7000 last by Lobb is sleek and balanced. Another last I'm a fan of is the GG06 by Gaziano & Girling, sleek but with a lovely round toe.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I would agree about this, I have the Southwold on the 202 last and it's pretty wide and not so elegant. The 7000 last by Lobb is sleek and balanced. Another last I'm a fan of is the GG06 by Gaziano & Girling, sleek but with a lovely round toe.

The way to solve that is to buy the Chelsea on the 915 last which is more sleek. But that said I am am fan of the 202 last. I think it looks classic.

Denar78

Reaction score
The way to solve that is to buy the Chelsea on the 915 last which is more sleek. But that said I am am fan of the 202 last. I think it looks classic.
I have never had the chance to try the 915 last and I must say that I’m quite curious about it. They don’t seem to offer it any more on the RTW Chelsea’s and when I last visited the store in Paris they didn’t have it and proposed me an MTO (at the same list price).

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Oxford by Gaziano & Girling on the GG06 last.

Gaziano-_-Girling-Black-Captoe-Oxford-Black-Calf-GG06-IMG_20210210_104414_447-scaled.jpg

mandrbeck

Reaction score
For me it’s EG, and it’s not close. IMO the Chelsea is the perfect oxford. I recently purchased one from Gentlemens Footwear online, and I highly recommend them. The owner personally responds to text. Extremely kind and prompt replies. Great service.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EG 202 is the quintessential English oxford last. The Chelsea in 202 with formal suiting can do no wrong. Nevertheless, it all comes down to your taste.
I have the shoes (Hallam, Chelsea, City II) noted in the posts and I have to say, my personal preference is Chelsea, City II, Hallam. The Hallam was a spur of the moment purchase from an online retailer clearing out its C&J inventory. Thus, I wasn't as salty after the fact... needless to say I rarely reach for the Hallams, especially in this post-COVID era we currently live in.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Masoodadnan.com