• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sam Hober v Carlo Franco

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own ties from both SH and CF. They are very different and each is excellent. The CF ties are very hefty,use luxurious silk, and tie a large knot. The texture is wonderful. The SH tie I own (as well as the several pocket squares) all use wonderful Thai silks unique to SH, AFAIK. My tie is made of green/navy Saiphone silk with very narrow, irregular lavender stripes (I can't currently access the website to provide a link). It changes ground colors from green to navy the way a Charvet changes. Others more knowledgeable than I can comment more directly on construction quality.

With CF, you choose a tie; with SH you choose the silk and specify the construction of the tie you want. I have never had a customer service problem with CF (including an order earlier this year _immediately_ after they announced their latest sale in an attempt to clear inventory). Out of respect for CF, as well as for the many posters here who have experienced customer service problems, I will comment no further. I will also note that David Hober's customer service is excellent. I was a tie newbie when I ordered and specified a standard length and asked for it to knot like a Charvet. David nailed my preferred knot exactly, communicated well, and delivered the tie well within the timeline he promised. He packaged it well and also included a silk bag.

AFAIK, the only paisley silks on the SH site are Irish poplins, however I expect David will see this thread and correct me if I'm mistaken.

Edit: IIRC, all my CF ties and my SH tie are self-tipped (an option with SH), saddle-stitched, include aself-keeper, and my CF ties are 7-fold, whereas the SH tie is lined to achieve the "Charvet" feel.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Looks like David will be adding some English woven paisley-s to the collection some time this month.

Good info. I sure they will be nice but I always find myself in the grenadine section on his site. I do not think his 6 fold grenadines can be beat.

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Far better? I don't have any Hobers but I do have one CF. It's an extremely well made tie. I'm not sure it's possible to do much better in terms of make.

I'll stand by my statement - when you factor in the point that the Hober's are bespoke ties in which you can specify lenght, width, lining etc. it results in a meaningfully superior product to Carlo Franco.

Its the same reason why my bespoke Raphael suit is a far better product for my needs than a RTW Brioni, Kiton, Oxxford etc. even though the make itself may not be dramatically better (ignoring the whole handmade vs. machine-made points which I find somewhat irrelevant).

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
If you want a thick seven fold, take a look at a Rober Talbott . I love S Hober ties, but RT 7 folds are my favs. Here is an example of a paisley I used in the pattern comp. You only want a paisley? This is a four in hand knot.

waywt011-2.jpg

I love your pocketsquare and tie. Where is the square from?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
I'll stand by my statement - when you factor in the point that the Hober's are bespoke ties in which you can specify lenght, width, lining etc. it results in a meaningfully superior product to Carlo Franco.

Its the same reason why my bespoke Raphael suit is a far better product for my needs than a RTW Brioni, Kiton, Oxxford etc. even though the make itself may not be dramatically better (ignoring the whole handmade vs. machine-made points which I find somewhat irrelevant).

Well, I think a Raphael is dramatically better made than Brioni or Kiton (maybe not Oxxford). But I wonder if a Hober is dramatically better made than a CF. My one CF tie is, construction-wise, the equal of anything else I have.

I certainly agree that all those bespoke options are nice (though RTW ties suit me fine) but they don't effect the make.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus
I love your pocketsquare and tie. Where is the square from?

Ty. The square is Talbott as well, you can get them with lime green skulls and border on dark navy background as well.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I'll simply note that in attempting to dress to impress for a very important meeting today, I went with a Sam Hober (striped, not paisley). Personally, I think I looked great -- a fact confirmed by my wife and daughter.
Thanks, David.
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
I bought half a dozen Carlo Franco ties while they were in business. I've since weeded every one of them.

I've commissioned dozens of bespoke Hobers and I wear them all.

Do you think they are made better? Either way, what's the difference between the two?

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Do you think they are made better? Either way, what's the difference between the two?

CF's make, like the ties, was flashier. The CF's had that bright red tensioning thread, which the Hober's don't.

For me, the difference is that Hober's length is what I need and he's worked with me so that a four in hand knot is sized to my liking for cutaway collar shirts as well as tab collar shirts. We also arrived at a construction that drapes the way I like it.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say that, ignoring the CF delivery, etc., problems documented fully on this forum (since they have nothing to do with the quality of the actual ties), I've not seen a better tie than my CFs vis-a-vis quality of silk, design, and construction. My Sam Hober tie is the equal, however, and is certainly a striking color and pattern. I have three CFs now, and wish I could buy a bunch more. I'm happy that the SH ties will be readily available and plan to buy more. With respect to quality of the actual ties, I'd rate them about equal. For me, these days, it's coming down to finding patterns that get me excited. I must say that the striking paisley that Diorshoe displayed in Post #19 is one I'd buy in a nanosecond were it still available. My fervent hope is that David's July paisleys will be equally infatuating. Let's all hope for a return of Chuck and CF ties--on a firm, reliable business footing. As has been mentioned before, Chuck has contributed much to this forum and Ask Andy, and I wish him well in whatever he does.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Disregarding quality issues and delivery times, CF's ties were frankly, rather tacky. Their thick, shiny silk and overly decorative patterns just added to the lack of appeal, at least for me.

bslo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Disregarding quality issues and delivery times, CF's ties were frankly, rather tacky. Their thick, shiny silk and overly decorative patterns just added to the lack of appeal, at least for me.

Well, I don't think they were all tacky. However, I really wanted to buy a tie but could never find one that I liked. I'm sure the construction was very good, but the designs in my opinion were nothing special.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads