• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1989thenumber

Reaction score

Well I mean you could afford an excellent tailor, the very best, the coat costs $5000.

Maybe its hard to appreciate the intricacies of the pattern from the photo but it looks like a shapeless sack
I understand that that is the appeal, I just think it might be fairly easy to reproduce provided you can get a similar fabric

I mean its trying to look like peasantwear, so the construction is probably sturdy but not complex

Of course I have never inspected a Harnden coat closely

Haha, I didn't realise it was a $5k coat. You could probably get an Indian tailor to move into your house for a year for $5k.

Joking apart, you're right, it would be the intricacies that would be difficult to replicate.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The coat was definitely not even half of $5000 new and I was lucky to pick it up brand new on the secondhand market. But yeah, it looks like a sack, although I wouldn't call it a shapeless sack - it's quite fantastic construction where in places the lining is larger than the outer material, giving it a wonderful volume that I just haven't seen recreated outside of Paul Harnden. It's not for everyone, but for me it's just the perfect combination of casual silhouette with excellent materials and construction. I don't think I'll be buying anymore PH, though, the rising prices and hype are not appealing to me.

For everyone that actually wants to nice coats for their money that don't look like a mid-19th century potato sack, the new Abasi + Rosborough collection is beyond amazing: http://abasirosborough.com/ascent/. I strugged sooo much with buying this stupid PH piece when I could have an had an Arc coat from A+B haha

Last edited:

1989thenumber

Reaction score
The coat was definitely not even half of $5000 new and I was lucky to pick it up brand new on the secondhand market. But yeah, it looks like a sack, although I wouldn't call it a shapeless sack - it's quite fantastic construction where in places the lining is larger than the outer material, giving it a wonderful volume that I just haven't seen recreated outside of Paul Harnden. It's not for everyone, but for me it's just the perfect combination of casual silhouette with excellent materials and construction. I don't think I'll be buying anymore PH, though, the rising prices and hype are not appealing to me.

For everyone that actually wants to nice coats for their money that don't look like a mid-19th century potato sack, the new Abasi + Rosborough collection is beyond amazing: http://abasirosborough.com/ascent/. I strugged sooo much with buying this stupid PH piece when I could have an had an Arc coat from A+B haha

Even if it was $5k, it's your money, dude. If it hits all the spots for you, then it's $5k well spent.

I was more questioning the idea that you could *easily* find the fabric and have it remade in India. **** that. Nothing's easy in India. :)

Is that you actually wearing it in the photos? If so, it looks good, man. Nice purchase.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cuffing the sleeves like that makes the coat look ill-fitting. If you let them hang long, it would just look like you don't give a ****. Cuffing them shows you do give a **** but can't get it to work, because they're still too long. I'm not sure what the answer is (probably some sort of tailoring) but if you cuff them you have to at least get it up past the thumb intersection point. Obviously if you had gone to an Indian tailor you wouldn't have to worry about it.

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Im not saying its not worth it

Im just wondering if you could easily make copies (to sell for a profit, or keep as spares whatever)

It doesnt seem to be like CCP where the construction is really laborious and technically difficult, but i dunno

Last edited:

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can anyone recommend a good indian tailor? i'll be in delhi/goa later this year and have a vintage camel hair coat i'd love to get copied

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not feeling AR. Looks overly stylized. I feel like pwu does the futuristic look better.

This looks too cartoonish for my boring blood

1989thenumber

Reaction score

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not feeling AR. Looks overly stylized. I feel like pwu does the futuristic look better.

This looks too cartoonish for my boring blood

AR quality is just beyond belief. The tailoring is beyond compare on the SW&D side of things. It's ridiculous they don't have a US stockist because the stuff really needs to be seen in person and tried on to appreciate it. But yeah, there's some details on the pieces (fabric panels, etc.) that occasionally look a bit much.

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AR quality is just beyond belief. The tailoring is beyond compare on the SW&D side of things. It's ridiculous they don't have a US stockist because the stuff really needs to be seen in person and tried on to appreciate it. But yeah, there's some details on the pieces (fabric panels, etc.) that occasionally look a bit much.

It would be cool to see. Liked the spring collection a bit more

Last edited:

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

new phone

I'm thinking of getting one too

Have been a pretty devoted apple user for years but the prices for outright purchase are pretty cray on new iPhones compared to where android is at now

Same as all computer hardware in general really, build quality of non apple laptops is way better then I remember

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked A+R their first season when they had solid color blazers etc. Now the panelling and color blocks is a bit much for me

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
Doesn't AR style most of their lookbooks with the jackets inside out to show all the stretch panelling and ergonomic seaming more clearly? I assume most of the actual outsides of the jackets are solid colored. Am I dumb?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics