• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's getting harder for me to have sympathy for cab companies, they've had years to adapt to the market.

What adaptations did you want? Lower prices? They drive cabs around the city and IME do a pretty good job.

The main thing Uber does is give you lower prices, which they're able to do because they squeeze the driver and avoid paying for licenses. That lack of license also puts the driver at greater liability (and gives you less safety).

There are apps now for reg cabs. The main downside is that you have to pay a higher price.

Last edited:

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
http://harpers.org/archive/2014/08/the-end-of-retirement/

Worth reading the whole article to hear a bit about that seniors that pick your Amazon orders this time of year, among other things

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: ...

Meanwhile, the winter didn’t let go so easily. There were mandatory fifty-hour overtime weeks.

Last edited:

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What adaptations did you want? Lower prices? They drive cabs around the city and IME do a pretty good job.

The main thing Uber does is give you lower prices, which they're able to do because they can squeeze the driver and avoid paying for licenses. That lack of license also puts the driver at greater liability (and gives you less safety).

There are apps now for reg cabs. The main downside is that you have to pay a higher price.

Cost has almost nothing to do with it for me. It's about convenience and UX. Uber and Lyft both have apps that make the entire process quick, simple and efficient, and with a streamlined payment system to boot. And I can use them in just about any decently-sized city.

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cost has almost nothing to do with it for me. It's about convenience and UX. Uber and Lyft both have apps that make the entire process quick, simple and efficient, and with a streamlined payment system to boot. And I can use them in just about any decently-sized city.

Don't you have any issues with them adopting dark patterns in the UX of their latest apps?

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah you're gonna have to be more specific vis-à-vis Uber/Lyft because I have no idea what you're talking about.

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recent example from NY trip. No indicator in the app how much surge you're being charged or what the standard rate is.

Really, really bad for tourists.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Recent example from NY trip. No indicator in the app how much surge you're being charged or what the standard rate is.

yea they are notorious for that ****

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

http://harpers.org/archive/2014/08/the-end-of-retirement/

Worth reading the whole article to hear a bit about that seniors that pick your Amazon orders this time of year, among other things

This is the sort of stuff I was talking about. I know some will discount it based on the site alone, but Gawker (RIP) was running an on-going series featuring accounts of people who worked at Amazon in various positions (mostly fulfillment center level jobs). The environment goes well beyond the usual complaints that come with your standard retail or service industry job. The quotas and iron-fisted time management on the employees makes the warehouse sound like a scene out of Metropolis.

I mean, I get it, it's a low-level job. It's their fault for not being investment bankers or engineers, but Amazon still needs these modern-day underground workers to keep the machine running. It's just a shame the machine now needs to chew up and spit out hundreds of plebs to keep it moving smoothly.

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, well, I dunno. Never seen anything like that. But it's also been quite a while since I've used either service. Last time I used Lyft on a surge pricing night it said right in the app what the multiplier was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads