• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA: The Tannery (UK) is having a 20% off C&J sale, but only IN STORE. Too bad, I was thinking of picking up the tan Grasmere on sale.
What size are you looking for? You can grab them HERE for £340. However, they ship to the UK only. I doubt you would be able to have VAT removed, but I’m not sure on that point.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4410D328-CD0A-4A1E-8809-F1CA590A8360.jpeg

conceptII

Reaction score
I just bought my first pair of C&Js (Coniston in dark pebble grain). After having them for about a week (worn say three days) I just noticed that the heel is coming slightly off the rest of the shoe. It's enough that I can slip a piece of paper in there. On the picture you can see it as this lighter line running between the shoe and the wooden part of the heel.
Has anyone had a similar experience, is it something I should worry about?

IMG_20181227_163738.jpg

Nat Jag

Reaction score
I just bought my first pair of C&Js (Coniston in dark pebble grain). After having them for about a week (worn say three days) I just noticed that the heel is coming slightly off the rest of the shoe. It's enough that I can slip a piece of paper in there. On the picture you can see it as this lighter line running between the shoe and the wooden part of the heel.

View attachment 1096479
It's not something I would worry about. I've got similar on GYW shoes and boots.

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score

View attachment 1096479
Hi Concept,

Congrats on the new boots!

I have had 2 C&J boots (Galway 2 and Harlech). I love them both.

To some degree I have had similar experiences with the sole and heels, not because the shoes are bad quality. On the contrary, the shoes were perfect when I received them. I believe that during the first few wears the shoes undergo quite a lot of stress i.e. - called the break-in period. Consequently, different parts of the shoes flex and become 'not perfect' to start to fit your feet and the way you walk. If the heel continues to separate then I would start worrying.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This seems to be the common issue with Dainite soles. I got this with my pair of Church's Ryder. Though, such split hair crack line manifested only after the 2 years of heavy wear.

I do have another question for you gents regarding the Dainite rubber soles. Does your dark brown lines (like seen in the @conceptII photo above are showing discoloration?) Mine went from dark brown (like in that photo) to completely dry gray looking ..

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1096479

My Trickers Bourton shoes do this but it’s between two layers of the heel stack rather than where the heel stack meets the rubber outsole.

It’s been this way for about a year, hasn’t got worse and doesn’t seem to have caused any problems. I did intend on asking a good local cobbler about it but have never got round to it.

I’m sure Crockett & Jones will help/sort it if it bothers you but I also don’t think it’s anything to worry about.

I don’t think my Coniston’s do this but will be checking now.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This seems to be the common issue with Dainite soles. I got this with my pair of Church's Ryder. Though, such split hair crack line manifested only after the 2 years of heavy wear.

I do have another question for you gents regarding the Dainite rubber soles. Does your dark brown lines (like seen in the @conceptII photo above are showing discoloration?) Mine went from dark brown (like in that photo) to completely dry gray looking ..

Do you mean the heel stack? Or the brown storm welt? If so I apply a bit of brown polish to the storm welt to blend out lighter marks which occur fairly frequently. There may be a better solution though

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess those are called the heel stacks - the brown decorative parts .. Have a look at the photo ..

Mine suede chukas are now 4 years old, with about 2 harshly worn years (by years I mean on late Autumn/Winter season). The discoloration (along with some sort of dryness) happened this year during the Summer hibernation in the shoe bags.

heel.jpg

heels.jpg

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess those are called the heel stacks - the brown decorative parts .. Have a look at the photo ..

Mine suede chukas are now 4 years old, with about 2 harshly worn years (by years I mean on late Autumn/Winter season). The discoloration (along with some sort of dryness) happened this year during the Summer hibernation in the shoe bags.

View attachment 1096624

View attachment 1096625

Yes, that’s the heel stack I believe.

I would imagine a few coats of brown polish should help. Edge dressing stain might work too, I have never used it yet.

Other members may know better.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The brown polish did cross my mind, however, I wasn't so sure about applying it, since this is a 100% rubber sole. I always thought the brown polish would work only on leather soles ..

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The brown polish did cross my mind, however, I wasn't so sure about applying it, since this is a 100% rubber sole. I always thought the brown polish would work only on leather soles ..

The ‘heel stack’ part that has discoloured is actually made up of layers of leather so polish will be fine. The heel below is rubber and the outsole part above the heel stack is also rubber.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads