• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

aquatherm

Reaction score
I love the new Cardigan 5 in walnut hatch grain with the Ridgeway Rubber Sole - I've not seen this sole from them before. I have 4 pairs of Pembroke's - all have the Vibram cleated sole.

I'm a HUGE fan of suede, I live in an area that does not rain, weather is very mild, so suede is very easy to take care of. I just ordered a MTO pair of Boston, with city sole, in tobacco suede...

The Kelso in brown suede is "the bomb.com" to quote my daughter. I have a pair of JM Weston in that color suede, I just love them, it's my favorite shade of suede.
4 pairs of the same shoes! Just had a look and there's 9 different versions of this model. Must be their best seller.

I love suede too, I have 7 pairs of boots and 1 pair of trainers. My only calf shoes a pair of black Oxfords

bemk

Reaction score
Pembroke:

240923_0057_Crockett-Jones-Pembroke_Tan-Scotch-Grain.jpg

240923_0052_Crockett-Jones-Pembroke_Tan-Scotch-Grain.jpg
240923_0046_Crockett-Jones-Pembroke_Tan-Scotch-Grain.jpg
240923_0059_Crockett-Jones-Pembroke_Tan-Scotch-Grain.jpg
240923_0072_Crockett-Jones-Pembroke_Tan-Scotch-Grain.jpg

- Crockett & Jones Pembroke, Tan Scotch Grain -

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Last edited:

bemk

Reaction score
Dividends of applying only neutral polish - overtime it has built up a patina and is giving off faded tints. Had you applied tan polish over time, it would not be giving the same colour tones and vibes. I am speculating here ofcourse that you apply only neutral creme/polish to these.

I got them in July last year and wore them last and this summer. I love them so much, that I even got a second Tan Pembroke shortly afterwards and I wear these 4 to 5 days a week.

Yeah, mate, you're right! I didn't apply any care other than occasionally a damp cloth or using a dry brush for dust and dirt, that's all. The 'natural', original Tan is so gorgeous and I will use neutral - of course neutral - polish these days for the first time, now that summer ends. 🍻

As I have a second one, I will probably use one of the brown coloured polishes on that copy, but I am as hesitant as I am curious.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
I got them in July last year and wore them last and this summer. I love them so much, that I even got a second Tan Pembroke shortly afterwards and I wear these 4 to 5 days a week.

Yeah, mate, you're right! I didn't apply any care other than occasionally a damp cloth or using a dry brush for dust and dirt, that's all. The 'natural', original Tan is so gorgeous and I will use neutral - of course neutral - polish these days for the first time, now that summer ends. 🍻

As I have a second one, I will probably use one of the brown coloured polishes on that copy, but I am as hesitant as I am curious.
They look nice mate.

So you have 2 of the same as in both are tan scotch grain ?

Crockett and Jones own recommendation for the Pembroke in Tan Scotch Grain to me was Saphir Pommadier Shoe Cream in Tan (03) and Pâte De Luxe Shoe Polish in Cognac (10)

bemk

Reaction score
They look nice mate.

Yeah! 🍻🌞

So you have 2 of the same as in both are tan scotch grain ?

I love mid- and light brown leathers ... my Acorn and Marron Stow, Marron Burford and Acorn Bourton and the Whisky Lindrick and Chestnut Skye and Chestnut Pembroke.
And to me the Tan Scotch Grain is to die for. So, yep, it is 2 pairs of the Tan Pembroke and - pssst! - 2 pairs of Tan Coniston. 😂

Crockett and Jones own recommendation for the Pembroke in Tan Scotch Grain to me was Saphir Pommadier Shoe Cream in Tan (03) and Pâte De Luxe Shoe Polish in Cognac (10)

The Cognac is too reddish for me and doesn't meet, what I like about the Tan Scotch Grain so much.
For the TanSG I bought Saphir Crème in Light Brown, but I think it is too bright and then I got Saphir 917 'Light Hazelnut', which is the closest match I could find. If I try a coloured polish it will be this one.

Menninki

Reaction score
As much as I love my islays, the speed hooks frustrate me. Firstly, I think 5 is too many but my main issue is that my laces pop out of the top ones. I tie them tight and double knot but it still happens. Any tips?
You could try going twice around a speed hook. So when you are crossing the laces and going for the next speed hook upwards go downwards instead and around the same speed hook. Then cross and go up again. If you do this on the last hook the knot will be slightly lower.

Not sure if this helps, but maybe give it a try.

I have also an issue with the Islay that I have now used the first day. It is really high and I noticed that I had difficulty walking down the stairs. They felt really stiff. Will this get better as the boots break in or am I tying it too tight?

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Yeah! 🍻🌞

I love mid- and light brown leathers ... my Acorn and Marron Stow, Marron Burford and Acorn Bourton and the Whisky Lindrick and Chestnut Skye and Chestnut Pembroke.
And to me the Tan Scotch Grain is to die for. So, yep, it is 2 pairs of the Tan Pembroke and - pssst! - 2 pairs of Tan Coniston. 😂

The Cognac is too reddish for me and doesn't meet, what I like about the Tan Scotch Grain so much.
For the TanSG I bought Saphir Crème in Light Brown, but I think it is too bright and then I got Saphir 917 'Light Hazelnut', which is the closest match I could find. If I try a coloured polish it will be this one.

Yea, ive been hesitant myself to apply the recommended light brown to my pembrokes. so far ive not applied any colour. Looking at pictures of the light hazelnut colour i too thought its a safe choice. For sure its a tone lighter than the tan scotch grain

bemk

Reaction score
Looking at pictures of the light hazelnut colour i too thought its a safe choice. For sure its a tone lighter than the tan scotch grain

From what I see from the open tin the 917 is rather slightly darker than lighter in comparison to my faded Pembroke.
Should I use that crème on one of my Tans, I will show a comparison to the one treated with neutral polish.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
From what I see from the open tin the 917 is rather slightly darker than lighter in comparison to my faded Pembroke.
Should I use that crème on one of my Tans, I will show a comparison to the one treated with neutral polish.
Definitely, please do, to give us an idea. Cheers

Marmite89

Reaction score
You could try going twice around a speed hook. So when you are crossing the laces and going for the next speed hook upwards go downwards instead and around the same speed hook. Then cross and go up again. If you do this on the last hook the knot will be slightly lower.

Not sure if this helps, but maybe give it a try.

I have also an issue with the Islay that I have now used the first day. It is really high and I noticed that I had difficulty walking down the stairs. They felt really stiff. Will this get better as the boots break in or am I tying it too tight?
They will break in nicely. My original pair of Scotch Grain are now like slippers. But I know what you mean with the initial stiffness… I’m breaking in the Russian Grain which are dead stiff, but only worn them 3 times.

Marmite89

Reaction score

I’ve got a pair of Tan SG Pembroke’s, sometimes I’ll use the Saphir 03 Light Brown and other times I’ll go darker and use the 05 Dark Brown. Don’t be too afraid to experiment.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
They will break in nicely. My original pair of Scotch Grain are now like slippers. But I know what you mean with the initial stiffness… I’m breaking in the Russian Grain which are dead stiff, but only worn them 3 times.
Ive not worn my last GMTO yet. Thinking to put them in a transparent crystal box and place them in my hallway display cabinet💎

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sfowl