• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Thin White Duke
Was fortunate enough to catch The Jam in Pasadena, Ca when I was in high school. I was one of a few passionate Mods down here in San Diego, courtesy of a Brit soccer exchange student who forever changed my musical tastes back in ‘80. Have seen Weller many times here and up in LA. Skipped the last couple, as he’d just become too damn sappy for me. Excited to be going up to Anaheim to catch him this time (tho he’s playing nearby, my old Mod mate had tickets for Anaheim), and glad to hear he’s dipping back into the catalogue at least a bit. Thanks for the read…

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
@Thin White Duke
Was fortunate enough to catch The Jam in Pasadena, Ca when I was in high school. I was one of a few passionate Mods down here in San Diego, courtesy of a Brit soccer exchange student who forever changed my musical tastes back in ‘80. Have seen Weller many times here and up in LA. Skipped the last couple, as he’d just become too damn sappy for me. Excited to be going up to Anaheim to catch him this time (tho he’s playing nearby, my old Mod mate had tickets for Anaheim), and glad to hear he’s dipping back into the catalogue at least a bit. Thanks for the read…
Did you play here last week?

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Belly Up Tavern last Saturday.
IMG_7066.jpeg

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was fun. Maybe there’ll be another time. I never say never, but am good for now… Not exactly “Mod to Suedehead” material, but I did at least wear red socks with black Weejuns, black stovepipe trousers and a black Lacoste Polo 😉.

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
I was there a week earlier for Arron Frazer. Had on Ben Sherman and Levis Sta Prest with black smooth leather shoes. Coincidentally I started with a scratchy throat that night.

Guaperet

Reaction score
Hi, i want ask a question , was Grenfell brand in 60's Mod Subculture,? if is yes, in particular Golfer Jacket? or not, Grenfell brand never was in Mod Subculture?, thanks

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, i want ask a question , was Grenfell brand in 60's Mod Subculture,? if is yes, in particular Golfer Jacket? or not, Grenfell brand never was in Mod Subculture?, thanks
I never saw it, although that's no real indication.

I have one of their Harringtons - paid through the nose for it and I never wear it because the collar doesn't pop up. :(

Guaperet

Reaction score
Thanks Sir,
i ask why for me is more elegant a Golfer Jacket by Grenfell that classic Harrington , and think about the possibility that this jacket was in modernist 60's scene.

regards

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sir,
i ask why for me is more elegant a Golfer Jacket by Grenfell that classic Harrington , and think about the possibility that this jacket was in modernist 60's scene.

regards
Well, the Grenfell company was formed in the 1920s, but I don't know when they produced their golf jacket. Barracuta was formed in 1912 (I think) introduced the G9 in 1937. Whether Grenfell's jacket copied Barracuta or Barracuta's copied Grenfell I can't say. It was the G9 that appeared in the window of John Simon in London, where it was first labelled as "The Rodney Harrington jacket," and it was at John Simon where discerning London mods - and, later, discerning London skinheads - shopped for their clothes. As I said, I can't say whether mods ever wore a Grenfell golf jacket, but given that they were always a pricey item, and that by the time skinheads adopted them there were thousands of cheap knock-offs that started to become available, my doubts about Grenfells having been a mod item are increasing. Anyone know different?

By the way, the cloth of my Grenfell is superb, notwithstanding my dislike of the collar.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, the cloth of my Grenfell is superb, notwithstanding my dislike of the collar.

Absolutely agree. I have a Grenfell mac(made with that particular cloth as well). The cloth both looks beautiful and does what it’s supposed to. It has a certain irridescent, almost tonik, effect. Very nice cloth, and their items are made to last. Very expensive, but worth it.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I never saw it, although that's no real indication.

I have one of their Harringtons - paid through the nose for it and I never wear it because the collar doesn't pop up. :(
Speaking of "Harringtons" I have two MiE Baracutas (pre and post Lavori), the collars pop up nicely. I also prefer the collar popped up when there is tartan on the lapels, I don’t like too much showing (personal preference). I also have an Aquascutum and a (surprisingly good) Uniqlo U, I wear those with the collar flat as there isn’t tartan on the lapels. Next one will be a MiE Fred Perry.

On another topic the Challenge will run until September 30th. Where are your Bennies, Jaytex, Brutus, Mikkel Rude ? 😉

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sir,

regards
My understanding is that Barracuta may claim to ‘inventing’ the Harrington jacket and that it was their version that was worn by Elvis, Sinatra and Ryan O’Neal himself as Rodney Harrington n ‘Peyton Place’ that was picked up and marketed as a ‘Harrington jacket’ by the shop in London I th
Well, the Grenfell company was formed in the 1920s, but I don't know when they produced their golf jacket. Barracuta was formed in 1912 (I think) introduced the G9 in 1937. Whether Grenfell's jacket copied Barracuta or Barracuta's copied Grenfell I can't say. It was the G9 that appeared in the window of John Simon in London, where it was first labelled as "The Rodney Harrington jacket," and it was at John Simon where discerning London mods - and, later, discerning London skinheads - shopped for their clothes. As I said, I can't say whether mods ever wore a Grenfell golf jacket, but given that they were always a pricey item, and that by the time skinheads adopted them there were thousands of cheap knock-offs that started to become available, my doubts about Grenfells having been a mod item are increasing. Anyone know different?

i composed a reply very much along these lines but due to the **** way this board operates of late it crashed and I couldn’t be arsed to repeat it all so thanks for saying what I was trying to say MoM - with some added detail!

Just out of interest I’ll add that I only ever heard of the John Simons / Squire shops in recent years on boards like this one. Even though as a far northerner my knowledge of London is / was obviously limited, not only did I never hear of it during visits to The Smoke over the years since 1980 (spent several months there in summer 1987) I never even heard mention of it in various books (Richard Barnes, Smiler, Terry Rawlings et al). I used to love to visit Kensington Market, Flip, Camden on a Sunday etc looking for bargains, vintage and exclusive stuff you never saw oop north, but in all those visits I never heard of the place. Hope to get there one day, along with Stuart’s of London which appears to be a similar niche.

Guaperet

Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen, now it is clear, if in those times, Baracuta was "on fire" (TV series, sell in John Simons...) is rare that the Golfer was in the modernist scene, I understand that in the years of revival it was the same? Baracuta, Ben Sherman, Merc... not Grenfell.

regards

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Swoop5