• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a pair as well, but I have not had a chance to use them yet, which really bugs me. I was considering, and still do occasionally, the Islay as well, but I settled for this, because I just got a really good deal. However, I would be very keen on hearing your opinions which you would consider more versatile the Islay or Coniston?
He he I think the Islay will certainly attract more attention because of the pattern and was actually admiring it lately and wondering whether to pick that up as well.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a pair as well, but I have not had a chance to use them yet, which really bugs me. I was considering, and still do occasionally, the Islay as well, but I settled for this, because I just got a really good deal. However, I would be very keen on hearing your opinions which you would consider more versatile the Islay or Coniston?
I think the Coniston is more versatile as you can dress it up more than the Islay, but the difference isn’t much. I have both and wear them in similar settings. The Islay is a little more rugged making it less dressy, imo.

shoefan57

Reaction score
I think the Coniston is more versatile as you can dress it up more than the Islay, but the difference isn’t much. I have both and wear them in similar settings. The Islay is a little more rugged making it less dressy, imo.
I agree with this comment. My nearest equivalent of the Coniston are my Edward Green Galway on the 202 last. I have the Islay and do think it is a wonderful rugged looking boot.

Style989

Reaction score
Does anyone know what happened to the 358 last? Did they discontinue it or did it evolve into something else? I tried it on and I've never had a shoe fit me that well. It was like it was made for me.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Whiskey Harvard..
14BE56E3-B7E0-4476-9D8E-801A699B70F5.jpeg

shoefan57

Reaction score
Does anyone know what happened to the 358 last? Did they discontinue it or did it evolve into something else? I tried it on and I've never had a shoe fit me that well. It was like it was made for me.
It would be best to ask C&J whether an existing last is an evolution of the 358 last. However it is no longer offered as an RTW last but you could always order shoes MTO on the 358 last.

Style989

Reaction score
It would be best to ask C&J whether an existing last is an evolution of the 358 last. However it is no longer offered as an RTW last but you could always order shoes MTO on the 358 last.
thank you I've asked Crockett &Jones. If it didn't evolve into anything else maybe MTO is the way to go. Cheaper than bespoke and the fit was so good it would be difficult to improve on it. The model I tried was quite nice, the Rosemoor. I loved the swan neck but wasn't so keen on the medallions on heel and toe

Style989

Reaction score
Should I get the regular shoe trees or the premium ones for last 360? And for coffee burnished calf which Saphir d'or colour goes best?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope! Woodlore is straight up. "Made in America" right on the front. Made of Americam grown cedar too.

None of this "Handcrafted in" bullshit.

If only the parent company had such scruples.

It is true. I don't like the jesuitical phrasing of ae.

Style989

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up guys. Any similar companies to wood lore in the UK? With customs and important taxes they'd probably end up costing more than C&J trees

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads