• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a list of US stockists? I'd rather not deal with a potential overseas return. Was looking at Sky Valet but I see you can only return for store credit

Style989

Reaction score
I mean consider the height of the shaft especially for keeping out debris and what not? I love a good chukka style boot but with the wider and lower ankle openings I am constantly getting stuff in my shoes and that is a bit annoying mostly.
thanks that's a good point. I guess it's down to either the Coniston or the grizedale. Grizedale has the commando style vibram sole. https://www.crockettandjones.com/co...products/grizedale-dark-brown-rough-out-suede

does that mean it's not good year welted ?

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks that's a good point. I guess it's down to either the Coniston or the grizedale. Grizedale has the commando style vibram sole. https://www.crockettandjones.com/co...products/grizedale-dark-brown-rough-out-suede

does that mean it's not good year welted ?
It is I believe, but the Vibram sole portion is glued onto the welted but. Forgive me if my description is technically inaccurate. The way I understand it is that they use adhesive to attach this type of Vibram sole after the rest of the shoe is built the usual way. I have a pair of Chelsea XI with the same construction and that thing is a tank so I guess you could expect the same here.
The Coniston is stitched all the way through obviously.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given the questions re: Goodyear Welting that are popping up here, here is the message I received from C&J on this very question re: vibram soled models:

This is the e-mail:

Dear James,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding our Aldershot boot. I can assure you that all our shoes and boots made 100% in our Northampton factory are Goodyear Welted. The Vibram Cleated sole is a rubber unit, therefore it is attached using an extremely strong and hardwearing adhesive, which is maybe where the confusion has arisen and why you cannot see the stitching as per our classic leather sole.

Aldershot is in fact even more hardwearing and durable for the winter months due to the storm welt for added waterproof protection.

Many thanks,
Antonia

---

In the words, besides their driving mocs and slippers, everything else is GYW.

Style989

Reaction score
It is I believe, but the Vibram sole portion is glued onto the welted but. Forgive me if my description is technically inaccurate. The way I understand it is that they use adhesive to attach this type of Vibram sole after the rest of the shoe is built the usual way. I have a pair of Chelsea XI with the same construction and that thing is a tank so I guess you could expect the same here.
The Coniston is stitched all the way through obviously.
Thank you for the explanation. As long as they can be refurbished and resoled I'm happy. I don't want to spend so much on a boot and then have to throw it away once the soles wear out.
C&J's website mentioned a storm welt for the Coniston but not the Grizedale which had me confused

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation. As long as they can be refurbished and resoled I'm happy. I don't want to spend so much on a boot and then have to throw it away once the soles wear out.
C&J's website mentioned a storm welt for the Coniston but not the Grizedale which had me confused
They can definitely be repaired. As for the storm welt / non storm welt bit I am not the person to ask, unfortunately. My personal experience is that in both types of the footwear I have my feet have been pretty dry so it really depends on how heavy your outdoor use is going to be.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aside from the visble storm welt pictured, the Grizedale is built essentially like the Islay. Feels heavy and built for lousy weather and hard usage. I believe CJ, on their site, mentions the storm welt on the Islay. So if the Islay has it, the Grizedale has the storm welt.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Easy way to know if it has a storm welt: does it have the strip of leather running along the edge above the welt? If so: storm welt. If not, regular welt. EZ PZ.

Hurlazza4

Reaction score
The Grizedale has a stormwelt

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the most versatile boots ever.
E57378F1-9145-4543-AFC1-D6F6744D9056.jpeg
34E936CF-508F-41FC-8E16-8FBC2EF3F847.jpeg

Style989

Reaction score
Gents, thanks for the all advice and info. I decided to go with the Grizedale. I might get the Molton as well but don't know if I'd use them enough to justify a second pair of boots.
In terms of sizing haven't had a chance to try them on. I'm a UK8 in the Oxfords (last 348). I did try Molton and needed to go down half a size for a good fit. Should get UK8 for Grizedale ?

Style989

Reaction score

Menninki

Reaction score
One of the most versatile boots ever.
Agreed. Took me a while to buy it because I was not a fan of the last shape at first glance, but now… the love is total.

I just bought a pair as well, but I have not had a chance to use them yet, which really bugs me. I was considering, and still do occasionally, the Islay as well, but I settled for this, because I just got a really good deal. However, I would be very keen on hearing your opinions which you would consider more versatile the Islay or Coniston?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albinealey