• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, am I shaming my camera and lens? I haven't developed a technically proficient enough eye to tell if I am at least making full use of my equipment.

Last edited:

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How's this?
2012_0830_1_13.jpg

I think I'd like this shot more if she were looking straight ahead. Right now, I'm thinking less about her and more about whatever's she's looking at. Unless, of course, that was your intent.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I'd like this shot more if she were looking straight ahead. Right now, I'm thinking less about her and more about whatever's she's looking at. Unless, of course, that was your intent.

I don't agree here. I like the face in profile and it probably looks better anyway in this dark setting. If the shadows in her neck would have been on her lower face this pic wouldn't work. Again, I like the colours, monochrome as they are. My more personal point of criticism here is that both pictures look rather posed. I enjoy spontaneous people shots best. Of course this among other reasons makes for a very high fail/succeed ratio in my photos.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys, the critiques are very helpful. I hate when background objects sprout out of people like that--I wrongly assumed the shallow depth of field would take of the vase. Yes, there was very little light.

Well, I don't think it's that bad. The shallow depth helps diminish the negative effect.

How's this?
2012_0830_1_13.jpg

A bit busy, I think. You don't crop your pics, do you?

Here's what I may have done. I cropped some of the right side of the pic, to get rid of the leaves and the spire next to the lamp post, a bit on the left, to get rid of the spot on the street that sits against the frame of the pic, and a bit from the top: I don't mind the top of the tower isn't visible, but it seems to be just not visible, so I chopped it a bit more radical.

N2f6s.jpg

I don't know whether it's an improvement, but I think the picture would have been better with fewer elements in it, if you know what I mean. That's what I tried to show.

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I refuse to "white box" product when I can do stuff like this instead.

Last edited:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's white boxing a product? That label is spectacularly ugly; hope the wine is fine.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree, just wish the person on the right wasn't there or either more there.

I have those shots as well. The pics will be used for a variety of things including ecom and print ads. What really matters is the client is happy with how I presented the product.

What's white boxing a product? That label is spectacularly ugly; hope the wine is fine.

White boxing or using a light tent ,is how you get those clean sterile white or black background product shots you see a lot of. Useful for some things but boring as hell IMO.

The wine is good. More importantly is the fact that this is a commercial shoot and my only concern is presenting the product in a way that makes the product look good and conveys the conceptuals laid out by the client. Personal likes and dislikes need to be left in the car in order to do a good job. With that said I do agree with you that the label is basically atrocious. We've talked about this and some of the labels will be redesigned. It's not an easy thing to do because the labels on alcohol go through an arduous PITA approval process that takes forever thanks to the ATF.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

White boxing or using a light tent ,is how you get those clean sterile white or black background product shots you see a lot of. Useful for some things but boring as hell IMO.

I know what you mean; I didn't know the verb/expression.

The wine is good. More importantly is the fact that this is a commercial shoot and my only concern is presenting the product in a way that makes the product look good and conveys the conceptuals laid out by the client. Personal likes and dislikes need to be left in the car in order to do a good job. With that said I do agree with you that the label is basically atrocious. We've talked about this and some of the labels will be redesigned. It's not an easy thing to do because the labels on alcohol go through an arduous PITA approval process that takes forever thanks to the ATF.

I understand. There's really no hope for that label. They should start from scratch. And "they" shouldn't be the same "they". :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads