• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Awesome thread recently! This is definitely one of my faves.

mafoofan, it's great to finally see the "fruits of your labor" from your Leica.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trini, I don't do much processing, so forgive the noob question. How do you get the B&W vibe with the selected areas of color?

Some great shots Trini, though I have to say I'm not a fan of the b/w + one colour.

It's a preset I use in Lightroom. They're not actually B&W but heavily desaturated with the exception of the reds and browns.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a preset I use in Lightroom. They're not actually B&W but heavily desaturated with the exception of the reds and browns.

I've been playing around with desaturated images. It takes a while to grow on you but I'm liking it more and more.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Desaturated is cool and I like these images, but I see what Kaplan's saying--it's nearly spot color and a lot of people think spot color is cheap/tasteless.

Re my grandfather's slides--his kids are still picking through them for inheritance reasons but what I can get I'll scan eventually.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of photography, I'm finding more and more fascinating the technologies being introduced to our mobile devices. Most of the time the quality is very lacking compared to a DSLR, and I don't think that is going to change any time soon. However, with the Nokia event happening today, it appears they are going to included PureView technology into their new flagship Windows8 device (Lumia 920). If you aren't aware of what this is, the software creates a very high megapixel image, then shrinks it down to a more manageable size. So the image is rendered in 20+mp, then shrunk to 5mp to eliminate the graininess of most mobile captures.

You can read a little about it here, and don't pass up on the comments section as there are some good posts in there.

It's amazing what they are capable of packing in our mobile devices currently.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been playing around with desaturated images. It takes a while to grow on you but I'm liking it more and more.

Me too. It's interesting because when I first started out, I loved the vibrant, potentially oversaturated look but now I've gone the polar opposite.

Desaturated is cool and I like these images, but I see what Kaplan's saying--it's nearly spot color and a lot of people think spot color is cheap/tasteless.

No doubt and that wasn't the intent.

The non-red/brown colours in the pics show up much more clearly on my laptop screen than they do on my work screen. I might have to play around with them a bit more.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, these are by no means as bad as what shoreman calls 'spot colour' usually is. Taking your first batch I like the first one the best as it comes off as a pure b/w. In numbers 2,3 & 4 I think the effect distracts more than it adds, but in #5 it works rather well. It certainly gives them all a unique look, whether you're a fan or not ;-)

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is THE vehicle for you hardcore photogs:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seriously, the moment I post in this thread, it dies. What the f*ck. If the photo sucks, just say so! I could use the feedback! Not looking for praise.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the warmth and the colours of your picture. (except for the burgundy pillow which someone should foof away with). The couch and scarf take away some attention away from the models face. Her expression is, imho, either too present or too absent as if you didn't make a choice. I like the picture though and would've been happy to have made such of my wife/so.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not you. This thread has permanent start-up issues...

Her right arm seems washed out. She's growing a vase (?) out of her head, and I can't see where the focus is. :) Other than that, I like it. You didn't have much light to work with, did you?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks guys, the critiques are very helpful. I hate when background objects sprout out of people like that--I wrongly assumed the shallow depth of field would take of the vase. Yes, there was very little light.

How's this?

2012_0830_1_13.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads