• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

M.Photog

Reaction score
Our church had Vacation Bible School this week and all the kids and adults involved were asked to wear their t-shirts which were a bright aqua color. One my friends who always wears a jacket and tie along with his pocket square had an interesting solution. he wore the t-shirt and a jacket along with a perfectly matched pocket-square. I asked him if he had cut off one of the sleeves to make it.:) Apparently he has a color for every occasion.

Tamarina

Reaction score
I just ordered a white linen pocket square with an orange hand-crochet border from Tamarina Traditionals. I'm very happy with it, I haven't seen anyone talk about them here, but Tamarina herself hand-rolls pocket squares as well as adds custom embroidery/crochet/hemstitching. Everything is made to order, but I saw she had made this orange bordered one before and asked if she could make another. I'm very pleased with the result, a nice bordered white linen square. I intend to wear it in the summer with a royal blue linen blazer I want to have made, sometimes with an orange silk knit tie.

The service was excellent and the options available are vast, even though I went with something fairly low key. There are examples of embroidery work on the site that are very nice, flowers surrounding monograms, etc.

http://www.tamarinatraditionals.co.uk/my-shop.html

Hi Sam,

I'm a bit late to the thread, but I've only just found your lovely review of my work! :embar:

I joined the forum for this one post, to say a huge thank you for taking the time to do this. It is very much appreciated and I am very grateful for your kind words.

Take care, Tamarina. :smile:

Ps. If you reply I will be unable to reply back due to this being my business name and as per my agreement with Fok.

bluebereft

Reaction score
I'm looking for a tie for my father, for the following outfit:
Dark Blue (non-navy) suit
White shirt
Olive green (solid) silk pocket square

My trouble is finding something to work with the olive green pocket square, which was a gift from my mother to my father to be worn in this outfit. Can't quite figure out what would work with it.

Would either of these Sam hober ties be appropriate?

Thanks!

Capture+_2017-10-08-11-37-57.png Capture+_2017-10-08-11-37-44.png

bluebereft

Reaction score
Hi,

Interesting, what is the fabric of the suit please ? Is the white shirt also compulsory?

It's one of the Vbc worsted wools. Don't have a picture on hand unfortunately, will have to see when he goes back to the tailor.

Nope white shirt not compulsory.

Thanks!

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bad luck that they're stitched directly into the same seam that supports the rolled edge, though; Drake's and others I've seen attach their tags with a separate stitch that doesn't affect the edge stitching.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To remove the tags first cut most of the tag - to give yourself room to work then carefully snip each thread with a very small scissor.

You need a steady hand and good eyesight - but it can be done.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nickrut,

A tough question for myself as I like a bright silk for festive occasions - linen for more formal ones and cotton is very practical...

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@nickrut you can't do better than David Hober's advice,, but I like linen for a folded suit square, and puffed silk in an off-white is a versatile go-to for SC's and casual suits

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pliny,

You have me thinking about off-white and you are correct I think that sometimes it is a better choice than a bright white in that it is softer and blends in.

So classic, somewhat formal but comfortable.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s everyone’s favorite plain white square? Or does it even matter?

As far as pure white I wear this one the most. 100% cotton 12" square Simonnot-Godard. However, I do like linen for when I want a more crisp, formal look. Simonnot-Godard weaves the most beautiful fabrics.

IMG_5182.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
White aside for a moment, here is another Simonnot-Godard 100% cotton woven in five shades of blue plus white that works well with any navy or grey jacket and a blue, white or pink shirt. So, very versatile with all of your basics yet with a bit of an expressive pattern. It gives some "pop" to an outfit but without going over-the-top in color or pattern.

IMG_5181.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads