• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my first Thick As Thieves suit

IBJanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Wouldn't it make sense that TaT should fix it if they measured you?

I'll try and get in contact with Jason before I go to my tailor and see what he says.

myke

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
I'll try and get in contact with Jason before I go to my tailor and see what he says.

myke

Hopefully they take care of you. I don't think it's unfixably bad so you should be fine.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
Lots of problems here, many of which would cost a lot to correct. 1. Shoulders are too large 2. Sleeve pitch too forward 3. Too much fabric at the back 4. Side panels need to be adjusted to accommodate the contours of your front body 5. Trousers need to be re-cut and lengthened
+1 Also you'll get more lift if you position your feet into a V.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lowndes
If what other people have said is true about them measuring you and you not just providing your own measurements I would return it and ask for my money back. There isn't a whole lot correct about the suit. Also, I am with the other posters who never understand why so many people recommend TaT. I've yet to see a good product put out by them.
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
Their product photos are pretty bad: http://www.thickasthievesla.com/product.html I saw an older thread on TaT where the level of knowledge genuinely amounted to "Pants are really tight! Great fit!" After all, this is a company that specifically refuses to add brace buttons or make lapels wider than three inches. Not for the well-dressed man.
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
If he was measured in person, then there's really no excuse for the fit of that suit -- barring any sort of peculiarities, such as an unnatural posture during the measuring session, or a request for very short measurements all around. But really, those pics are not exactly a ringing endorsement of TaT's work. Good to know, as I was considering that route myself.
Originally Posted by badsha
Yeah the pants are way too short and the jacket fit is not good at all. You were measured in person as I recall. How can this happen? did you request slightly shorter pants? I would not be happy with a suit like this, why should you have to pay your tailor to take care of it.
Originally Posted by 599
I have had dates on a cold night where my jacket fit her better than yours does.
Originally Posted by Night Owl
I don't get why in every suit recommendation thread someone always says TaT I haven't seen a good one yet, this one looks like a box
Originally Posted by apropos
+1 And the ones that 'fit good', are actually wayyyyy too tight.
Wow. I am surprised to see a few things here. First, I am surprised at how poorly that suit fits. Next, I am surprised at all the forvmites here harshly criticizing GetSmart's suits. Not only is he a great guy on the forum, but he is a pleasure to deal with and has a great product for those of us who like the style. Moreover, he will do whatever it takes to make sure that the suit fits and that Myke is happy with the end result. I've now three TaT suits. For the money, they can't be beat. Jason's providing a great service and does it with politeness and professionalism. If you like his style, buy the suit. If not, don't. Don't criticize Dior Homme for not making suits cut like Brioni, or Hyundai for not making a Benz. It's asinine.
Originally Posted by IBJanky
I'll try and get in contact with Jason before I go to my tailor and see what he says. myke
Myke, I have no doubt that Jason will fix the issues with your suit. It could be any number of things that led to the bad fit, from improper measuring to a snafu at the factory. I am sure this will have a happy ending.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
Personally, I'd have it pressed nicely, and re-shoot the pictures. A lot of the wrinkles appear to be due to a poor fit, but they are exaggerated by the exessive winkling from pulling it right out of a shipping box.

Either way, I think you'll likely find that it still needs a lot of work.

1) Pants are too short

2) Jacket isn't long enough

3) Shoulders are too big

4) Waist needs to be taken in.

5) It needs better shape overall. It doesn't flatter you.

But take the judgment of most of these crittiques with a grain of salt until you see it nicely pressed. I'd imagine those wrinkles will still show in your upper back, and your butt will still show since the jacket isn't long enough, but at least you'll be able to discern what is what more clearly.

I wouldn't want to make tailoring changes to a suit based on wrinkles that could be exaggerated by not being pressed is all I'm saying.

it looks as though they did not take care of your right low shoulder. you can see that the right side of the jacket is falling down.
the shoulders are just a bit wide not much, unless you prefer an easy shoulder for comfort.
yes the waist should come in.
the length is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches short. unless you are a glennie fan.
also the hips are about an inch too tight.
the sleeves could be pitched back 1/4".unless you are standing at attention like a drill sargent.
thats a mistake most folks make unconsciously.

the trouser legs are too tight. see how the legs stick tightly on the curve of the calves. and thats why the bottom sticks out in back instead of hugging the heel. the top of the back could be raised up a bit by re shaping the seat seam.
take a look at the bottom of the legs they are so narrow that it makes his shoes look like size 18s. but then you know what ladies suspect about mens big feet.

Dib

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
If you like his style, buy the suit. If not, don't. Don't criticize Dior Homme for not making suits cut like Brioni, or Hyundai for not making a Benz. It's asinine.

I don't think anyone is criticizing TaT because they don't like the style or cut of the suit vs any other brand. It's more that the suit clearly doesn't fit in a number of areas which is particualrly surprising given the OP was measured in person. If you are paying for a MTM suit, the least you would expect would be for the trousers to fit and be the correct length.

To the OP - I would go back to TaT for the alterations (as they may be unable/unwilling to rectify problems if you have another tailor play around with it first).

killua

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dib
I don't think anyone is criticizing TaT because they don't like the style or cut of the suit vs any other brand.

Take a look at the quotes in luftvier's post and you can see some people are commenting on TaT in general, not just this one suit.

To the OP, please post the resolution you come to after speaking with TaT. It would be useful to myself and other members who plan to use their service. I'm hoping for everyone's sake this was a factory or administration issue.

Dib

Reaction score
Originally Posted by killua
Take a look at the quotes in luftvier's post and you can see some people are commenting on TaT in general, not just this one suit.

Yes, but the comments they are making are that, in general, the suits they have seen did not look great in terms of fit etc.

My point was it is not as though people are criticizing the suits because they simply prefer another "style" or brand as Luftvier's post suggested, it is because they do not seem to fit properly.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by killua
Take a look at the quotes in luftvier's post and you can see some people are commenting on TaT in general, not just this one suit . . .

Originally Posted by Dib
Yes, but the comments they are making are that, in general, the suits they have seen did not look great in terms of fit etc.

My point was it is not as though people are criticizing the suits because they simply prefer another "style" or brand as Luftvier's post suggested, it is because they do not seem to fit properly.

Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
Their product photos are pretty bad:
http://www.thickasthievesla.com/product.html

I saw an older thread on TaT where the level of knowledge genuinely amounted to "Pants are really tight! Great fit!" After all, this is a company that specifically refuses to add brace buttons or make lapels wider than three inches. Not for the well-dressed man

Killua is correct. There are a few personalities on this board who generally criticize everything without providing much useful or beneficial input. It is to those people that my response was directed.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dior Homme makes better suits than Tat...

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the suit was pressed, the OP had normal posture and the pants were 1" longer, I'm sure it would make a huge difference.

The TaT-bashing is totally uncalled-for. Jason has tons of satisfied customers. Sometimes the first suit doesn't work out so well - MTM is like that.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
...as does Caraceni or Oxxford, but both are well above the retail price of TaT, unless you are happy to sift through 2nd hand goods, leftovers or old stock.

So... what was your point again?
eh.gif

Retail price yes. B&S price no.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...as does Caraceni or Oxxford, but both are well above the retail price of TaT, unless you are happy to sift through 2nd hand goods, leftovers or old stock. So... what was your point again?
eh.gif

I think a wild ape has invaded PC's home, killed him, and assumed his screen name. That is the best possible explanation for the recent quality of his posts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads