• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am getting married in January and am about to pull the trigger on a MTM tux. I wanted to hear thoughts on my plans:
I'm particularly torn between going midnight blue or black.

Since you'll only be wearing it at night when it is dark, the difference between MB and black will hardly be noticeable. Put your mind at ease. :D

Last edited:

GuyOnABuffalo

Reaction score
My wedding is next June, and we've already had the, um, discussion on what my groomsmen and I will wear. I wanted to have them come in their best dark suits (not black) and give them each a wedding tie to wear, but the wedding mags beat out my history and reason. Luckily, I convinced her to push the wedding back a bit into the evening, meaning black tie was in the table. She's fine with everyone wearing their own tuxedo (how it's different than their own suits I don't know), so I'll count it as a win.

Here's the issue. I already own a beautiful, classic tuxedo from Samuelsohn. Grosgrain, peak lapels, one button, slightly opened quarters, no flaps. I love it, although I need to have the sleeves rotated a bit and see if it's possible to have my tailor can bring up the armholes a little. I really want to wear a db waistcoat as well, but I didn't get one when I first got the tux. I'd say black is the better option, but I am a little worried about getting a waistcoat of a different cloth than my tuxedo. Thoughts?

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should go for it. It'll be darker and even you won't be able to tell it isn't cut from the same cloth. Especially among the drinking, dancing, and general merriment. Congrats!

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many tuxedos are worn with coordinating, but not matching waistcoats. (of course you will wear a tasteful one in a shade of black or white...not one covered with confetti, Bugs Bunny or Smurfs...)

Last edited:

andersbb

Reaction score
What are your opinions on brightly colored chinos/khakis for groomsmen?

Wedding is next summer in a garden of a country club - both ceremony and reception outside. Ceremony at 1pm, afternoon reception immediately afterwards, probably <80 guests. Bride will be wearing a fairly simple dress. Dress code is jacket and tie for men.

I am wearing a navy suit that I'm getting MTM. I had hoped that groomsmen would wear suits of their own, but the suits they have got are all over the place: black, gray, navy, pinstripes and one really lousy shiny one.

All the groomsmen do have reasonable quality navy blazers and brightly colored chinos (what can I say - they're all younger than me). Three of them have Dockers type tan khakis as well. IMO, the colored ones are higher quality brands and fit better.

So would it work? The colors of the pants are all different but the navy blazers are similar enough. They'd be in the same shirts, probably white, and probably plain navy ties. Bride may be OK with idea if she can work it into rest of wedding.

None of the groomsmen wants to buy new suits as they're also going to need to get shoes and accessories, and I don't really want to hire.

Plan B is having them all buy better quality khakis in a tan color and wearing those with the blazers.

Plan C: hiring navy suits for those that don't have them.

Opinions/better ideas?

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd do plan B for sure. Although, on second thought, I don't care if all the groomsmen match anyway, so I'd say coat and tie, and wear whatever nice pants you want. But I'm guessing you want them matchy matchy.

Last edited:

andersbb

Reaction score

I'd do plan B for sure. Although, on second thought, I don't care if all the groomsmen match anyway, so I'd say coat and tie, and wear whatever nice pants you want. But I'm guessing you want them matchy matchy.

Don't want matchy-matchy, but also don't want them to look completely unconnected, which they will if they wear the suits that they have. The blazers don't exactly match, but they're close enough, so they'll look similar on the top half, even if the bottom halves are completely different.

It's just that the pants are loud, and completely different colors. One guy has both emerald and Nantucket red, one has aqua, one a pale yellow and a French blue, one magenta, one a sort of peachy color. You do see guys round here wearing such pants in summer, but it will mean a lot of color in the wedding party photos. It is a casual wedding though.

The advantage to this is that the two guys who can only afford $200 can put most of that into getting decent shoes.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't like khakis at all. Don't even own a pair.

However, is that is the option, follow Veremund's advice above.

andersbb

Reaction score

Since it's a casual wedding in the summer time, you can't lose with either all colored khakis, or all tan khakis. Which do you like better?

The colored ones, but by default, as I don't like tan khakis at all, nor own them myself. Bride doesn't either.

But colored pants are all over Pinterest and scream trendy to me - even though older guys wear baggier versions of the same thing too.

My preference was for suits, but only two of the five own navy suits that are worth wearing, and the hire options for navy suits are limited.

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it's a casual wedding, so you'll be fine regardless the color of chinos. But for what it's worth, dark brown shoes, tan khakis and a blue blazer is a very sharp outfit indeed. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well, it's a casual wedding, so you'll be fine regardless the color of chinos. But for what it's worth, [COLOR=FF00AA]dark brown shoes, tan khakis and a blue blazer is a very sharp outfit indeed. [/COLOR] I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

Conversely, it can look very sloppy and high school-ish. VERY.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Especially khakis and a navy blazer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads