• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BPPStyle

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's response. Navy suit with grey/silver waistcoat and tie was my initial thought, just wanted to make sure there wasn't some 'rule'.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts on these shoes with tuxedo for wedding?

Crockett & Jones Alex

http://www.crockettandjones.com/product/alex-black

1.jpg

or....

Crockett & Jones Beaumont

http://www.crockettandjones.com/product/beaumont-black

1.jpg

I stopped by C&J while in New York, and I'm leaning towards the Beaumont. The wholecuts almost come off a bit too plain. The Beaumont is quite expensive though (I think $950). UK and EU pricing is much better...

Reaction score
Gentlemen, where might I find a double-breasted vest? I am getting married in January and have been searching around online without much success. Any guidance is much appreciated.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gentlemen, where might I find a double-breasted vest? I am getting married in January and have been searching around online without much success. Any guidance is much appreciated.
Tyrwhitt has over a dozen RTW DB vests available. I can speak to neither quality nor fit -- but if I needed one and didn't have the ability to visit a tailor who knew what he was doing, that's where I'd start looking.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have worn my Silver POW tie to too many weddings. I also don't want to buy another silver tie in another pattern (houndstooth, glencheck). Is there an alternate SF-approved alternative, specifically for a navy suit/white shirt?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Darkside, I don't know about SF approved. I believe patterns are traditional here. Would you consider a black and white shepherd's check as equivalent to silver? Personally, I think a silver grenadine can be very nice. Extremely elegant.

rratnip

Reaction score
I need some advice about my wedding coming up in November. It'll be an outdoor wedding just before sunset, with the reception indoors at a separate location just afterwards. I've been wanting a midnight blue tuxedo for the past ten years so I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to get one.

I wear suits every day for work so I've got a good stable of tailored OTR suits. I'm thinking this is the opportunity to step it up a notch and get something custom or MTM, but this would be my first foray into the area. I was considering some of the semi-online makers Alton Lane, Knot Standard and Suit Supply because they all have locations nearby. But it looks like the only reviews for Alton Lane and Knot Standard were shills. Are there any MTM tailors in Houston anyone would recommend? Or is there an OTR brand I should look into and just have it tailored?

The alternate to the tuxedo is a navy suit. Is there an appropriate colored waistcoat to wear for a late afternoon/early evening wedding? Likewise, with a midnight blue tuxedo what color should the waistcoat be? Should I get a matching one made along with it?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the wedding. I would wear a matching waistcoat with a tuxedo. With a navy suit, a matching waistcoat is always acceptable. If you go with a suit and odd waistcoat, buff linen is a decent choice.

In general, for your first MTM commission, I like the idea of going brick and mortar. This way you start with a model that works for you and make minor changes. SuitSupply is a decent option.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have worn my Silver POW tie to too many weddings. I also don't want to buy another silver tie in another pattern (houndstooth, glencheck). Is there an alternate SF-approved alternative, specifically for a navy suit/white shirt? 

Deep burgundy.

abmyers

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase my first tuxedo for my wedding. I've decided on a shawl collar, classic black tuxedo and have found the search more challenging than I anticipated. My price range is around $1,000 including alterations. I'd like high quality material, half of full canvas, a thinner grosgrain lapel, single breasted one button. The front runner right now is the Boss Sky/Gala at Nordstom but in my experience with suits I've found Boss suits to be rather average and sometimes a bit too "modern". I've also looked online at the J Crew Ludlow (fused and crappy?), the BB shawl (boxy cut?) , Charles Tyrwitt (lapel looks weird), Hillfiger (cheap?). Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase my first tuxedo for my wedding. I've decided on a shawl collar, classic black tuxedo and have found the search more challenging than I anticipated. My price range is around $1,000 including alterations. I'd like high quality material, half of full canvas, a thinner grosgrain lapel, single breasted one button. The front runner right now is the Boss Sky/Gala at Nordstom but in my experience with suits I've found Boss suits to be rather average and sometimes a bit too "modern". I've also looked online at the J Crew Ludlow (fused and crappy?), the BB shawl (boxy cut?) , Charles Tyrwitt (lapel looks weird), Hillfiger (cheap?). Any other suggestions?

SuitSupply makes a tux with a nice design. It will keep you well under your budget as well. Any reason you want thin lapels? J. Crew is the king of those, and I think their Ludlow line is half-canvassed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads