• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We're not talking about wearing bermuda shorts to a wedding and asking if it's ok. We're talking about a tie/no tie. This hardly elevates to a permission issue. I have never heard of someone asking for permission to not wear a tie to a wedding.

Yeah. Most have the good sense to wear a tie. My broader point is if he's a guest at something that's a big deal to his friend, it's not about him and his personal preferences are not relevant.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah. Most have the good sense to wear a tie. My broader point is if he's a guest at something that's a big deal to his friend, it's not about him and his personal preferences are not relevant.

But this isn't "personal preference" issue. This is simply a tie/no tie issue.
He isn't coming in combat boots and jeans. He is wearing a suit without a tie.

I have never been to a wedding where every male guess had on suits AND ties. Some did. Some didn't. Some didn't even wear suits.

On my wedding night, I will not sit with my wife to be and say..."WTF....John didn't wear a tie!"

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course it is personal preference. The guy prefers not to wear a tie. How is that not a preference?

I agree that suit without a tie is less egregious than the examples cited. Still, to me the question is never, "What can I get away with?" It is, "What should I do?"

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He isn't "getting away" with anything.
There are many men who can look as good or better w/o a tie than some look with a tie.

That aside....I WEAR TIES TO WEDDINGS. Just so that is clear.

I also don't feel that a phone call is needed to confirm if one doesn't want to wear one.
(And I am not talking about specific invite instructions on dress "code.")

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Listen. not wearing a tie to a wedding is not anywhere near a "departure" from the norm if one has a suit on. Not wearing pants IS a departure if one has a suit on.
Having to call the groom/bride and ask.."Is it ok if I don't wear a tie" is just ridiculous.

+1

facet

Reaction score
Mmm, while I agree calling to ask whether wearing a tie or not isn't necessary and does seem weird, personally, it wouldn't bother me if a guest called me asking whether it's ok or not to wear one.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on these shoes with tuxedo for wedding?

Crockett & Jones Alex

http://www.crockettandjones.com/product/alex-black

1.jpg

or....

Crockett & Jones Beaumont

http://www.crockettandjones.com/product/beaumont-black

1.jpg

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally would go with the Alex, but no one outside of Styleforum and similar forums will look down on you for wearing the Beaumont. I personally would wear a super sleek Chelsea boot myself.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would go with the Alex also.
But if you feel that the Beaumont would be a more versatile shoe after the wedding, go with that.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wear a blue suit..not black.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics