• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official new iPhone 4

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Did you read my posts? It is obvious that this phone does not receive the same signal as well as my iPhone 3G. That's all I'm saying. We can get into a silly argument about how it must be where I am located blah blah blah but I had one phone, now I have another, same service plan, same service provider, same places, one phone was better than the other. My location has nothing to do with it.

I ask because some areas apparently have specific problems with the iPhone 4's reception algorithm.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
As far as I've read, the "reception algorithm" problem relates not to signal strength but rather to reporting of the signal strength. And it overstates the signal strength, as opposed to understating it.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As far as I've read, the "reception algorithm" problem relates not to signal strength but rather to reporting of the signal strength. And it overstates the signal strength, as opposed to understating it.
It's apparently two different problems: 1) Signal strength representation, which may or may not be linked to the left-hand corner problem 2) Reception algorithm trying to capture the best signal (and may be connected with one's location)

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
It's apparently two different problems: 1) Signal strength representation, which may or may not be linked to the left-hand corner problem 2) Reception algorithm trying to capture the best signal (and may be connected with one's location)
See below.
Consumer Reports announced on Monday that it cannot recommend the iPhone 4 to potential buyers due to reception problems that are a result of the design of the handset. The company issued the statement on its official electronics blog, stating that the conclusion was reached after testing three of Apple's iPhone 4 handsets purchased from three separate retailers in the New York area inside a controlled environment of a radio frequency isolation chamber. "In this room, which is impervious to outside radio signals, our test engineers connected the phones to our base-station emulator, a device that simulates carrier cell towers," the nonprofit organization wrote. "We also tested several other AT&T phones the same way, including the iPhone 3GS and the Palm Pre. None of those phones had the signal-loss problems of the iPhone 4." It continued: "Our findings call into question the recent claim by Apple that the iPhone 4's signal-strength issues were largely an optical illusion caused by faulty software that 'mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength.' The tests also indicate that AT&T's network might not be the primary suspect in the iPhone 4's much-reported signal woes." The organization provided an "affordable" solution for users afflicted with signal woes, in covering the antenna gap found on the bottom left of the device with a piece of duct tape or a non-conductive material. "It may not be pretty," they wrote, "but it works."
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._iphone_4.html

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
Apple Admits iPhone 4 Reception Woes Are Hardware-Related

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20066...rerelated.html

Until an official release is made by Apple, you shouldn't trust Gizmodo, they are pissed at Apple after being spurned by them due to the whole iPhone 4 prototype fiasco.

Steve Jobs to iPhone 4 Owner: "Relax ... It Is Just a Phone"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20030...t_a_phone.html
That line, and several other have already been debunked as fake, and not coming from Steve Jobs. No one is saying the phone doesn't have problems, but the extent of the problems is from my personal and the experience of friends who own the phone, greatly exaggerated.

blairh

Reaction score
I'm not an idiot. The cradle does not cover the lower left spot. It grasps the phone at two points - the plug at the bottom center and a plastic, nonconductive clip at the top center.

Go *************. I was only trying to help.

With that established, you can either try to swap your iPhone with a new one or simply deal with it. I seriously doubt any software updates are going to affect the issue you are having.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Consumer Reports came out and said they aren't recommending the iPhone any longer due to the reception issue. I don't know why the **** they recommended it without testing it in the first place though.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blairh
Go *************.

laugh.gif
cheers.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Until an official release is made by Apple, you shouldn't trust Gizmodo, they are pissed at Apple after being spurned by them due to the whole iPhone 4 prototype fiasco.
rolleyes.gif
What do you mean "spurned?" Why should you not "trust" Gizmodo? How was the fiasco anything but Apple's? They got their hands on a phone, they reported it was the next gen phone, and they were absolutely correct. Sure, Apple tried to sue them and get the phone back. They got the phone back. You're arguing that because a journalistic outfit got the story right, in spite of the manufacturer's efforts to impede and/or block the story, that that's a reason not to trust them? LOL.
That line, and several other have already been debunked as fake, and not coming from Steve Jobs.
Unfortunately for Apple and their devoted disciples, the "Just avoid holding it in that way" line has not been debunked.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rolleyes.gif
What do you mean "spurned?" Why should you not "trust" Gizmodo? How was the fiasco anything but Apple's? They got their hands on a phone, they reported it was the next gen phone, and they were absolutely correct. Sure, Apple tried to sue them and get the phone back. They got the phone back. You're arguing that because a journalistic outfit got the story right, in spite of the manufacturer's efforts to impede and/or block the story, that that's a reason not to trust them? LOL.

Um, no. After the whole prototype fiasco, Apple denied them an advanced preview of the iPhone 4, which other journalists got. I guess the denial and the prior prototype fiasco just pissed Gizmodo enough that they got back at Apple the best way they know how: over-exagerated bad press.

Unfortunately for Apple and their devoted disciples, the "Just avoid holding it in that way" line has not been debunked.
I know.
facepalm.gif
Great PR, Steve.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads