1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

The J-160E was a famous guitar not because it sounded all that good but because it was the acoustic that the Beatles played in concert. There are much better acoustics for sound quality but this does perform well in a live, electric setting. I bought this from a Boston street performer. The inside of the case had in large letters,"SUPPORT MUSIC ON THE STREETS". I wonder if he knew any Beatles songs?

[​IMG]

2. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Martin guys used to refer to these Gibson J-200's as "SIlent Giants". I bought this one from a Pentecostal Minister with a huge slicked back mane of hair who said, "I always wanted to own the same guitar as Elvis." The sound is very different than most acoustics but very pleasing. They certainly look great as a stage guitar. This has the less desirable adjustable bridge. It was one of those innovations that was an indication of the coming decline in quality of USA made guitars in the late 60's early 70's. That decline was a result of engineering dominating decisions and not the resulting sound of the guitar. (i.e "These specs prove that we have a superior acoustic if the bridge can be moved" as opposed to "Listen to the lack of sustain". ) Glad they finally figured that one out.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Esquires became known as "Easy to buy and hard to sell". You could pick them up at the end of a guitar show for half the price or less than a Tele. This one was a '61 slab board. Nice guitars.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

did anything other than slab boards exist in '61? I know in roughly summer '62 they switched.

Beautiful looking guitar. olympic white?

5. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I believe they were all slabs around that time. The stock Tele color around this time faded to a melted vanilla ice cream white which this is. Olympic White was much brighter.

1 person likes this.
  6. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I thought all of those still had the cavity for the second pickup. Couldn't you just buy one cheap, get a new pickguard, add some new electronics and be left with a Tele at a big discount?

Did the lack of the internet make things like this less known and so nobody thought to do it? I mean, if Springsteen did it, it can't have been a big secret (unless people assumed he had someone actually cut out a hole for the new pickup).

8. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Through the 50's-70's players often added a second pickup to Esquires. Then along comes the "collector" in the mid 80's. Collectors want things to be original so prices are determined by originality. Many Esquires with added pickups were returned to single PU specs. At the time, many collectors, before buying an Esquire would remove the pickguard to see if it had ever had a second pickup added. If it had, then you saw added screw holes and it was no longer considered to be a "virgin". Some guys only bought virgins. Or some would offer a lot less for Esquires with "popped cherries".

9. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

This Barney Kessel was one of the very best playing Gibson Archtops I ever owned. But man, does it have odd features - it has a note headtock inlay, bow tie neck inlays, double cutaway (odd for an archtop) and the famous "devil horns". This was one guitar with sprezz!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

A one of a kind 1959 PAF ES-350 in a custom color red finish, gold hardware, Bigsby and varitone. This would have been a special custom order with the factory. This turned up around Denver.

[​IMG]

11. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Hey, anyone here into light strings? I was reading that Billy Gibbons has been playing .007' s for a few years now and has these sets by Dunlop.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/rev-willys-strings

For slide he plays .008's!

Most of my guitars are strung with .011 except for solidbodies strung with .010.

Maybe I should try .009?

12. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

I honestly can't believe that (although I googled it and it may be true). I was raised on "light strings are for weak-handed pussies" and would never play lighter than 10s although I use 11s on my electrics anyway. 9s are one thing but 7s?? :puzzled:

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I used to play 13's. Now I use a hybrid set. 12's on the low side 10's on the high.

14. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

http://www.fretboardjournal.com/features/online/five-questions-zz-top’s-billy-gibbons

Here Billy's guitar tech takes you through his stage guitars and the strings

15. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

I've always favored .010s, while other guys I've played with love .009s.

Can't imagine playing w/ .013s like PB. Dang.

16. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

damn pB now them some manly strings! Reminds me of Charlie Hunter's left hand and forearm... he looks like one of those action figures with the kung fu grip and mutant left arm as if he could decapitate you in one swift motion.

seriously though, country dudes with 13s on an old Tele, nice vintage amp and some tank reverb sound sweeeeet!

17. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

i don't think i could properly bend anything more than 10s.

18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I think light strings bend too easily. Plus, the extra resistance helps me control the vibrato better. Also, FWIW, I play primarily a Les Paul so the scale length makes them feel slightly looser than they are.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

The strings that came on this guitar are horrible. I need to change them ASAP.

20. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

These are absolutely amazing guitars....ES-355 mono (weigh less than the ones with Variatone). Played through a tweed bassman they have a killer sound. This one was a '59 and still had 99% of it's gold finish.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.