• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice rounds guys! Fang i know how you feel with that, but for me after a few months off it's getting back into break 80. Sounds like you play pretty infrequently though. I'd probably be in the same boat.

white/azn I know you're a NYC guy, so i was wondering how you get to the course? do you have a car that you drive or ride with friends? Sounds like that round could have been igh 70s if not for the lost balls. That's always frustrating.

I've been fortunate enough to shoot 75 my last two rounds. Really enjoying my new clubs. Can absolutely crush with my driver, new technology really makes a difference it seems. Still dialing in my irons. I tend to hit more of a draw with the Mizunos that i'm not quite comfortable with/used to. Playing with some good friends this weekend at a new course. Should be a great time, hoping I can take it low since it's about 700yds shorter than my normal course.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice rounds guys! Fang i know how you feel with that, but for me after a few months off it's getting back into break 80. Sounds like you play pretty infrequently though. I'd probably be in the same boat.
white/azn I know you're a NYC guy, so i was wondering how you get to the course? do you have a car that you drive or ride with friends? Sounds like that round could have been igh 70s if not for the lost balls. That's always frustrating.
I've been fortunate enough to shoot 75 my last two rounds. Really enjoying my new clubs. Can absolutely crush with my driver, new technology really makes a difference it seems. Still dialing in my irons. I tend to hit more of a draw with the Mizunos that i'm not quite comfortable with/used to. Playing with some good friends this weekend at a new course. Should be a great time, hoping I can take it low since it's about 700yds shorter than my normal course.

Mizuno make some awesome clubs, there are a bunch of golf shops near my house, I'll often drop in and hit a few shots in the nets, when you pure a Mizuno blade it feels so sweet. I was tossing up getting a set but I went with Yamaha Inpres X V-Forged, little bit more forgiving and more affordable with the shafts that I wanted.

Hope you have a good round on the weekend.

Last edited:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Every cart I've used in Japan has GPS and the club houses look like palaces compared to the tin sheds I'm used to in Australia. Not trying to boast, but 280 with little roll out is just a nice solid hit for me. Even at my age (46) I meet very few people who consistently out drive me. In my 20s I could hit a persimmon driver 280~300.
Yes you are right about dialing in new equipment, going to hit a few buckets tomorrow and hopefully get in 2 or three rounds in August.
I've been using the newish Titleist Velocity, reasonably cheap, very long (not that that bothers me) but I find long balls also to be straight/low spin which really helps with the tight fairways here, and also pretty soft reasonable spin around the greens. I also sometimes use a Japanese brand called Kasco because they have really cool colours :) I've used the B330 and a similar ball from Srixon, one of my partners games Nike One Tour-D, seems to me they are a little shorter than the others.

Damn Japanese and their advanced technologies!

What driver/shaft combo are you using? You likely have a 115+ mph swing speed to hit 280 on the fly.

The 280 was with trying to hit a cut. Straight up on a long and straighish hole with a full swing I generally 300+ on center of face shots with soaked fairways, which it seems to be the case most of my summer. When the courses are wet after rain I try to use a lower launching and lower spin ball like the Bridgestone e7 if I have them in my bag. Don't need a ton of spin on approach shots as even with the Tour D I was jumping backwards on slow greens and it gets a tiny more roll out on my drives. The e7 will generally get 5-10 more yards on a solid drive than the B330, Pro V1-X, Tour D etc. Less feel on irons and putter of course.

Haven't tried the Velocity. It looks to be a low spin medium to high compression ball similar to the e7. Might give it a shot for a course that's playing slow and narrow. I have 3 dozen Srixon Z-Star XV's (well the previous gen version, don't remember what they're called) waiting to test out as well.

pilot. I usually take the train to my parents (or catch a ride with my dad) or use my brothers car to hit up courses on Long Island. Also do-able is Bethpage using the LIRR out to Farmingdale. There's an LIRR package to get a round trip train ticket plus free taxi voucher to the course. You want to take the EARLIEST train in order to get some kind of tee time on the Red and pray something on the Black is open. I assume you could tackle the black with your scores, though possibly leave with some bruises on your ego.

I'll have far more time on my weekends this fall to play compared to my summer. I had barely a free weekend due to Weddings and other social obligations.

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn Japanese and their advanced technologies!
What driver/shaft combo are you using? You likely have a 115+ mph swing speed to hit 280 on the fly.
The 280 was with trying to hit a cut. Straight up on a long and straighish hole with a full swing I generally 300+ on center of face shots with soaked fairways, which it seems to be the case most of my summer. When the courses are wet after rain I try to use a lower launching and lower spin ball like the Bridgestone e7 if I have them in my bag. Don't need a ton of spin on approach shots as even with the Tour D I was jumping backwards on slow greens and it gets a tiny more roll out on my drives. The e7 will generally get 5-10 more yards on a solid drive than the B330, Pro V1-X, Tour D etc. Less feel on irons and putter of course.
Haven't tried the Velocity. It looks to be a low spin medium to high compression ball similar to the e7. Might give it a shot for a course that's playing slow and narrow. I have 3 dozen Srixon Z-Star XV's (well the previous gen version, don't remember what they're called) waiting to test out as well.
pilot. I usually take the train to my parents (or catch a ride with my dad) or use my brothers car to hit up courses on Long Island. Also do-able is Bethpage using the LIRR out to Farmingdale. There's an LIRR package to get a round trip train ticket plus free taxi voucher to the course. You want to take the EARLIEST train in order to get some kind of tee time on the Red and pray something on the Black is open. I assume you could tackle the black with your scores, though possibly leave with some bruises on your ego.

Any amateur who can drive 300+ straight is putting some smoke on the ball that's for sure.

Srixon ZR-600 9.5 loft (440cc head) Tour Ad PT-6 Tip 9 Stiff shaft, I also have a TaylorMade Burner which is about 10/15 yards shorter but with the bigger head I hit it more consistently.

Last time I measured my swing speed yes it was around 117 but that was about 6 years ago and I doubt I swing consistently that fast these days. I think I'm hitting the ball just as far though because I'm getting a better launch angle and lower spin rate. I used to hit the driver with the ball positioned off my left heel, like with an old school driver. A couple of years ago I moved the ball to in front of my left toe and hit with a more ascending blow. I think that also helps deal with the soft fairways in Japan which don't roll out much (low or high ball flight) so you want to fly it as far as possible. In Australia the fairways tend to be harder and cut shorter so if you hit a low drive it will run like a scalded dog.

Let me know how the srixon balls go if you use them, I have a sleeve that some one gave me but I'm loving the Velocities.

Last edited:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any amateur who can drive 300+ straight is putting some smoke on the ball that's for sure.
Srixon ZR-600 9.5 loft (440cc head) Tour Ad PT-6 Tip 9 Stiff shaft, I also have a TaylorMade Burner which is about 10/15 yards shorter but with the bigger head I hit it more consistently.
Last time I measured my swing speed yes it was around 117 but that was about 6 years ago and I doubt I swing consistently that fast these days. I think I'm hitting the ball just as far though because I'm getting a better launch angle and lower spin rate. I used to hit the driver with the ball positioned off my left heel, like with an old school driver. A couple of years ago I moved the ball to in front of my left toe and hit with a more ascending blow. I think that also helps deal with the soft fairways in Japan which don't roll out much (low or high ball flight) so you want to fly it as far as possible. In Australia the fairways tend to be harder and cut shorter so if you hit a low drive it will run like a scalded dog.
Let me know how the srixon balls go if you use them, I have a sleeve that some one gave me but I'm loving the Velocities.

Yeah, my SS was measured at 125.4 mph +/- 0.2 mph over 5 swings. Which was the fastest the guys on the monitor had ever seen a mid-high capper like me hit haha.

Swinging a Cleveland TL310, 8.5*, 440cc head with an open face. Shaft is an upgraded Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x Tour - X-Stiff and tipped 1/4 inch. The open face punishes me if I hit off center so I usually align for the left side of the fairway. Thankfully my natural slight draw helps to mitigate much of a slice if I do hit something closer to the toe.

My previous driver was very closed face and had only a stiff shaft. I was quite inconsistent due to over-flexing the shaft, despite the face. My brother hits it well, but his SS is closer to ~112 as he doesn't hit the range nearly as often as I do, despite him having an inch and 15 lbs of muscle on me.

It sounds like you're a fairly big guy Fang, to maintain such a high SS despite not playing much and getting on in your years. I hear you about that ball placement. I shift it and inch or two depending on what I want to do with the hole. I also change my finishing follow through height. I usually finish mid, but when I want more carry and height I finish a little higher and position the ball further forward.

Wind can be a factor as well.

I'm still on the lookout for a new putter and perhaps new bag if I can find a deal on either (not looking to spend $150 on a new bag...).

*edit* I'm honestly pretty happy with my game considering I only really got into golf May of last year. I'm thinking of signing up for a junior membership at the club back in my hometown (under 34 years of age). $500 for the 2013 season, only have to pay cart fee of $18, get preferred tee times, other discounts etc. Added bonus to play the rest of the 2012 season for only the cart fee as well, Normal round of golf is $61 on weekend/holidays. I'd only have to play 12 rounds between the rest of this season and all of next to break even. Easily do-able. I also get heavily discounted rates for friends if I bring a foursome.

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, my SS was measured at 125.4 mph +/- 0.2 mph over 5 swings. Which was the fastest the guys on the monitor had ever seen a mid-high capper like me hit haha.
Swinging a Cleveland TL310, 8.5*, 440cc head with an open face. Shaft is an upgraded Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x Tour - X-Stiff and tipped 1/4 inch. The open face punishes me if I hit off center so I usually align for the left side of the fairway. Thankfully my natural slight draw helps to mitigate much of a slice if I do hit something closer to the toe.
My previous driver was very closed face and had only a stiff shaft. I was quite inconsistent due to over-flexing the shaft, despite the face. My brother hits it well, but his SS is closer to ~112 as he doesn't hit the range nearly as often as I do, despite him having an inch and 15 lbs of muscle on me.
It sounds like you're a fairly big guy Fang, to maintain such a high SS despite not playing much and getting on in your years. I hear you about that ball placement. I shift it and inch or two depending on what I want to do with the hole. I also change my finishing follow through height. I usually finish mid, but when I want more carry and height I finish a little higher and position the ball further forward.
Wind can be a factor as well.
I'm still on the lookout for a new putter and perhaps new bag if I can find a deal on either (not looking to spend $150 on a new bag...).

I'm 6' 180 # Well I lie I was 6' now I'm 5'11" (Shrunk with age) but I still tell people I'm 6' just sounds cooler. :embar:

Friend of mine from Hawaii (not in Japan anymore) played varsity golf. He hit the ball at least as far as me and he is not a big guy in the least, maybe 5'6" 150#, he's in his mid 20s though, but still I've know a few smaller guys who can give it a belt. When I was a kid my father used to play off scratch and there was a little wiry guy at his club who would out drive him.

I had an odyssey two ball putter, but I eventually just went back to an old blade style putter like I grew up using, I think putting is largely in the mind so if you can look down at the ball and feel comfortable it goes a long way.

Also looking for a new bag, probably going to get an Ogio stand bag. I usually take the train to the course so I want to get something easy to carry but still a bit civilized. 'spensive in Japan though.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm 6' 180 # Well I lie I was 6' now I'm 5'11" (Shrunk with age) but I still tell people I'm 6' just sounds cooler. :embar:
Friend of mine from Hawaii (not in Japan anymore) played varsity golf. He hit the ball at least as far as me and he is not a big guy in the least, maybe 5'6" 150#, he's in his mid 20s though, but still I've know a few smaller guys who can give it a belt. When I was a kid my father used to play off scratch and there was a little wiry guy at his club who would out drive him.
I had an odyssey two ball putter, but I eventually just went back to an old blade style putter like I grew up using, I think putting is largely in the mind so if you can look down at the ball and feel comfortable it goes a long way.
Also looking for a new bag, probably going to get an Ogio stand bag. I usually take the train to the course so I want to get something easy to carry but still a bit civilized. 'spensive in Japan though.

I know some small guys who can swing hard, but they rarely go where they want them to. Fairways and greens make the golfer, not driver distances. I'm learning to dial back slightly when I need to, it's paying off.

Love me some blade putters. Looking at Never Compromise Gambler, Portofino, and Exec blades (kind of like the newport style) and will pull the trigger at the right price. Leaning toward the Portofino, that blue/green paintfill is eye catching and it's less busy than the others.

I've not heard the best things about Ogio bags, at least their lower end ones. I don't mind carrying the larger stand bags. The ultralight ones feel flimsy and don't have good organizing options, especially since i can't just keep boxes of balls, shoes, etc in a car trunk. I have to carry all my stuff around.

Last edited:

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, here's the status after about 20 rounds since mid-May (and about 4 rounds a year for the 5 years before that).

--Swing is starting to come around. Made a slight swing change on the range a couple of weeks ago. Last round I hit 11 of 14 fairways and the round before that I hit 7 of 7 on the back 9.
--Short game has improved from spectacularly awful (losing 10+ strokes a round) to merely mediocre. Still lots of room for improvement, but I'm happy with the progress. I've got 30+ balls in my living room and try to hit between 200-300 15 yard chips a night on the carpet. Been spending one or two evenings a week at the short game area at the range on wedges, chips and putting.
--Still getting used to the new irons. Struggling mainly with distance control at this point. When I really hit these irons I'm about a full club longer with them, but I'm still getting a lot of variation in my distances.
--Big issue in scoring is eliminating the "blow-up" holes, or stretches. Par-par-bogey-par-triple-triple is kind of my MO right now. I've moved from high 90's at the beginning to low-90s, to now pretty consistently in the high 80's. I feel like an 82 or so is right there, I just haven't pulled one off yet.
--Highlight of the year was a couple of weeks ago. Straight uphill 500 yd par 5, very tight with jail on both sides. Hit driver, 3wood to about 20 feet and nailed the putt for eagle. Last legit eagle has been years. Big confidence boost.
--Current USGA handicap is 14.0. Blech! I know I can do so much better.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know some small guys who can swing hard, but they rarely go where they want them to. Fairways and greens make the golfer, not driver distances. I'm learning to dial back slightly when I need to, it's paying off.
Love me some blade putters. Looking at Never Compromise Gambler, Portofino, and Exec blades (kind of like the newport style) and will pull the trigger at the right price. Leaning toward the Portofino, that blue/green paintfill is eye catching and it's less busy than the others.
I've not heard the best things about Ogio bags, at least their lower end ones. I don't mind carrying the larger stand bags. The ultralight ones feel flimsy and don't have good organizing options, especially since i can't just keep boxes of balls, shoes, etc in a car trunk. I have to carry all my stuff around.

I'm the in the same boat as you, gotta lug everything around. Got any recommendations for for a stand bag? Has to have room for shoes, wet weather gear (essential in Japan) couple of sleeves of balls, gloves etc. Last one I had was a Titleist (not sure who made it) It fell to bits after 2 rounds. Lugging my cart bag to the station is a bit of a drag.

Never Compromise sure do make some pretty putters, don't think I could bring myself to pay that much for a putter though. The one I game now cost me $5 :)

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, here's the status after about 20 rounds since mid-May (and about 4 rounds a year for the 5 years before that).
--Swing is starting to come around. Made a slight swing change on the range a couple of weeks ago. Last round I hit 11 of 14 fairways and the round before that I hit 7 of 7 on the back 9.
--Short game has improved from spectacularly awful (losing 10+ strokes a round) to merely mediocre. Still lots of room for improvement, but I'm happy with the progress. I've got 30+ balls in my living room and try to hit between 200-300 15 yard chips a night on the carpet. Been spending one or two evenings a week at the short game area at the range on wedges, chips and putting.
--Still getting used to the new irons. Struggling mainly with distance control at this point. When I really hit these irons I'm about a full club longer with them, but I'm still getting a lot of variation in my distances.
--Big issue in scoring is eliminating the "blow-up" holes, or stretches. Par-par-bogey-par-triple-triple is kind of my MO right now. I've moved from high 90's at the beginning to low-90s, to now pretty consistently in the high 80's. I feel like an 82 or so is right there, I just haven't pulled one off yet.
--Highlight of the year was a couple of weeks ago. Straight uphill 500 yd par 5, very tight with jail on both sides. Hit driver, 3wood to about 20 feet and nailed the putt for eagle. Last legit eagle has been years. Big confidence boost.
--Current USGA handicap is 14.0. Blech! I know I can do so much better.

I'm jelly, wish I could get the the links/range as often as you. I see breaking 80 in your tea leaves.

What are your new irons? (sorry only just started following the thread).

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flew over Firestone today and got to snap a few pics.

Last edited:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll assume those fairways are that wide due to no PGA/Champion tournaments going on. They seemed much narrower on the TV. Would still love to play.

One of my favorite courses to play on is Ballyowen at the Crystal Springs complex. Fantastic course, perfectly manicured grounds, tons of money for a round though.

Fang: I use mostly Cleveland gear and have a Cleveland "Tour" stand bag. It's seen 2 seasons of use and seems to be holding up ok. Not sure who actually makes it though. I'm surprised the Titleist bag died so quickly. I see Titleist bags that look like they're 10+ years old still being hauled around. Thinking of getting a Bridgestone bag, never see them, so there's a uniqueness factor, and I like their balls.

Last edited:

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, actually the WGC Bridgestone Invitational is there this week. in the top pic the lower course is the South Course that the pros play on and the upper course is the West Course which is more of a links style course. Wish I could watch the practice round tomorrow, but we're leaving in the late morning. Firestone isn't traditionally known for being super tight, it's more of a long hitter's course.

Edit: Fang if you could snap some pics on your next outing, that would be awesome. Would really like to see what some of the Japanese courses look like.

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, actually the WGC Bridgestone Invitational is there this week. in the top pic the lower course is the South Course that the pros play on and the upper course is the West Course which is more of a links style course. Wish I could watch the practice round tomorrow, but we're leaving in the late morning. Firestone isn't traditionally known for being super tight, it's more of a long hitter's course.
Edit: Fang if you could snap some pics on your next outing, that would be awesome. Would really like to see what some of the Japanese courses look like.

No problems. Some of the courses I play are really beautiful, all are mountain courses. One of them is in the shadow of Fuji san and on a couple of the holes it looks so close that its seems like you are driving onto the slopes of the mountain. Probably won't play that particular course for a while though.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll assume those fairways are that wide due to no PGA/Champion tournaments going on. They seemed much narrower on the TV. Would still love to play.
One of my favorite courses to play on is Ballyowen at the Crystal Springs complex. Fantastic course, perfectly manicured grounds, tons of money for a round though.
Fang: I use mostly Cleveland gear and have a Cleveland "Tour" stand bag. It's seen 2 seasons of use and seems to be holding up ok. Not sure who actually makes it though. I'm surprised the Titleist bag died so quickly. I see Titleist bags that look like they're 10+ years old still being hauled around. Thinking of getting a Bridgestone bag, never see them, so there's a uniqueness factor, and I like their balls.

I didn't realize that Bridgestone was not so common in the states because their stuff is all over the place in Australia. I think they used to make a few really nice sets of Australian market only irons back in the day. Maybe they had some Aus pros on staff. Bridgestone have several different brands so maybe they push one of the other names in the States.

The Titleist bag was an ultralight so pretty flimsy, I'm going to get something a little more substantial next time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads