1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, May 22, 2010.

1. supplychainman

supplychainman Well-Known Member

I might get one and try it out and report back. Only $100 for 1? I think thats worth it to try. I think a reason no one uses it yet is that they opened shop the last week in June. Certainly have credibility off of Hopkins history of club making with Cleveland golf.

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

Any reccomendations for golf pants?

3. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

Maide Golf (by Bonobos) seem to have some cool options, if slightly pricey.

I got some Uniqlo Dry pants in a fun pattern that are great for golf. $45 for the pants and hemming the length. Very slim and tapered.

Otherwise get some sale golf pants from a sporting goods or TJ Maxx type place and get them tailored to suit your needs.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

Thank you, sir. I like the Uniqlo offerings, but the US online store seems to be out of stock most of the time. I have two pair of Bonobos pants, the Acey Ducey and Sandtraps. They're OK. Haven't tried the Maide line. I tried the Puma Tech pants and Under Armour Bent Grass. They're both full rise. I must admit that I've gotten used to pants that sit a little below the waist.

5. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Well-Known Member

You could play the Links at Spanish Bay. Half the price of Pebble Beach and designed by Tom Watson.

6. clapeyron

clapeyron Well-Known Member

I received my new toy today. ping anser 8.5 loft with a mitsubishi ahina x-stiff and ping gold grips with two layers of tape underneath. the shaft brought my backspin rate down from 5000-6000 rpm to 2600-2800 rpm. resulting in lower ball flight, longer carry and final distance and much much less slice affinity.

haven't been happier with a purchase ever. shot 73 on a par 74 course with two bogeys after work.

[​IMG]

7. whiteslashasian

That sounds like a much needed upgrade. What took so long to get fitted, or at least a more researched head/shaft combo?

I need to get my swing back to the range after this weekend. Will be golfing down in Charlotte, NC at the end of the month with a buddy of mine who shoots mid 70's when his swing is happy or upper 70's - low 80's when he's tweaking or tinkering with something in his game.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  8. clapeyron

clapeyron Well-Known Member

I didn't want to be one of those guys who blame their equipment i guess. I always thought it had to be my swing rather than my driver. In addition, I hit a very solid 5 wood so I rarely used a driver anyway. Maybe three to four times a round, usually only on par fives. my two home courses have very narrow fairways and are pretty unforgiving with slices so many times I play a four iron from the tee. However now with the new driver I started to take a little more risks. Two of the short par 4s (290 and 300 metres respectively) are now in reach with the first shot. Every par five is now reachable in two if I don't have a horrible lie after my tee shot. Looking forward to the next couple of tournaments. I'm pretty stoked with this shaft.

9. AlexHold

AlexHold Well-Known Member

Uniqlo is making great semi-slim khakis / chinos. Nice quality and style for the price. I'm not as big a fan of Maide. Looks very techy and they slap their logo all over the place. If you play in warmer weather but still like wearing long pants, I'd suggest picking up a pair of Ralph Lauren lightweight linens on eBay. They're cheap, fairly easy to find in most sizes in my experience, and the few pairs I own have held up really well over multiple rounds.

10. zhualais

zhualais New Member

yes,Ideally my wife and I want to move south where her company is based out of and I can play year round and get back to low single digit handicap.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  11. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

Congrats on your purchase. But on the physics/mechanics...

quote name="clapeyron" url="/t/181669/official-golf-thread/1785#post_6574452"]the shaft brought my backspin rate down from 5000-6000 rpm to 2600-2800 rpm. resulting in lower ball flight, longer carry and final distance[/quote]

Higher backspin increases carry (provides lift), and higher ball flight increases carry (with any normal trajectory), so lower backspin and lower ball flight would both reduce carry, given a fixed launch speed. Your distance/carry could be increased due to less energy loss at impact, which is true when spin decreases and when launch angle is lower, but that is due to higher ball speed rather than due to less spin. This trade-off works as swing speeds increase.

12. AlexHold

AlexHold Well-Known Member

Any SF Bay Area golfers here? I'm based in Palo Alto and would be interested in connecting with any of you guys who play in/around San Francisco. Also looking to fill a spot in our foursome at Half Moon Bay (Ocean) next Monday afternoon 3/24.

13. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

It provides lift but it doesn't necessarily increase carry. Higher backspin can and does cause the ball to balloon which will rob you of carry and total. I thought I already wrote that here somewhere. The part about loss of energy at impact is simply wrong.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  14. archetypal_yuppie

Oof, you're wrong about me being wrong, ouchy.

A 0* driver will produce the highest ball velocity, all else equal. A 9* driver trades lower ball speed for higher launch angle (and spin), vs. an 8* driver. This is very basic...

It's the exact same principle as 9-iron vs. 8-iron, or progressive angles on billiards shots. The more the impacted object's course/angle deviates from the impacting object's course/angle, the less energy is imparted.

Maybe you misunderstood what I wrote the first time?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  15. whiteslashasian

MT.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  16. archetypal_yuppie

17. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

You were replying to a guy using a ping anser 8.5 loft x-stiff, the difference in impact imparted between that and a 9 degree driver would be statistically insignificant.

18. archetypal_yuppie

Are you one of those people that likes to say "statistically insignificant" because it sounds authoritative, or do you actually know what it means? You either don't fully understand the concept, or don't understand simple physics very well.

But that's beside the point, because I was comparing an 8* to a 9*. You should read more closely. (But the point remains true, no matter how you slice and dice it.)

Also, "impact imparted" doesn't mean anything, but I assume you mean energy.

19. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

FFS

A driver should impact with an ascending blow, the arc of that blow combined with the angle of the face at impact will determine the amount of energy transferred, not just the number written on the club. You were trying to tell the guy that he could see improved distance because he was hitting the ball low "Your distance/carry could be increased due to less energy loss at impact" Balderdash! But then you think a high spin launch will bring both max carry and total.

Oh and by the way, the colloquial use of "impact" should be clear.

20. archetypal_yuppie

Ha. "Colloquial." Lol. Nice try. Don't bullshit me or yourself, "impact" is in no way shape or form a colloquialism of "energy." I know what you meant, but what you said was wrong and remains wrong. That you are convoluting or blurring these important distinctions in the context of this discussion may be contributing to your misinformed conclusions.

Some of this is just wrong and some is more wrong. Starting with the "ascending blow":

You didnt think this through all the way. Yes, the clubhead can be ascending. But:
    -The clubhead is affixed to the shaft.
    -0* is perpendicular to the shaft.
    -Loft is with respect to that perpendicular 0*
    -The clubhead is traveling perpendicular to the shaft at any given moment in that part of the swing.

Regardless of what part of the swing arc impact with the ball takes place, the clubhead is lofted vs. the direction that it is traveling. Unless you are pulling the club into yourself as it passes through the impact zone, which is ridiculous.

And on:

It's starting to become clear that you don't know the first thing about physics. The arc of the blow has nothing to do with it. It's a function of the velocity, mass, and elasticity of both objects. In an all else equal scenario, you can cancel out everything and look at how efficiently energy is transfered from the club to the ball. Since we know from the above that a higher loft delivers a more glancing blow, less efficient transfer of energy will take place.

You should realize that you can address that factors that lead to an outcome independently, and that saying a factor can increase in a scenario does not mean that the some of all factors will increase in that scenario. Words like "could" mean stuff.