• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

Schwazer

Reaction score
Bridgestone has a few American pros using their equipment such as Snedeker, Love III, Couples and Kuchar. So they are slowly making their mark in the US market.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What are your new irons? (sorry only just started following the thread).

Mizuno JPX-800 Pro with Project X 5.5 graphite shafts.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mizuno JPX-800 Pro with Project X 5.5 graphite shafts.

My friend has the JPX 800 AD with JPX Graphite shafts. Nice clubs but I hit them way too high, probably because of the low CG and SR shafts.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My friend has the JPX 800 AD with JPX Graphite shafts. Nice clubs but I hit them way too high, probably because of the low CG and SR shafts.

One of the reasons that I picked the Pro's (forged) is that I wasn't hitting them as high as some of the others. Part of it is that they are a degree or so stronger, plus I had them bent another degree stronger yet and had the stiffer graphite shafts in them to help me with my launch angles. I have a tendency to hit the ball too high. My driver is a 9.5 deg and I'm tempted to go to a 9 to keep the ball down even more.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One of the reasons that I picked the Pro's (forged) is that I wasn't hitting them as high as some of the others. Part of it is that they are a degree or so stronger, plus I had them bent another degree stronger yet and had the stiffer graphite shafts in them to help me with my launch angles. I have a tendency to hit the ball too high. My driver is a 9.5 deg and I'm tempted to go to a 9 to keep the ball down even more.

The ADs are forged (Japan only model), not sure about lofts.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, actually the WGC Bridgestone Invitational is there this week. in the top pic the lower course is the South Course that the pros play on and the upper course is the West Course which is more of a links style course. Wish I could watch the practice round tomorrow, but we're leaving in the late morning. Firestone isn't traditionally known for being super tight, it's more of a long hitter's course.
Edit: Fang if you could snap some pics on your next outing, that would be awesome. Would really like to see what some of the Japanese courses look like.

Interesting. Did some google satellite and distance overlay apps and the fairways on my home course are sliiiightly narrower but the rough area is larger and fewer trees lining compared to Firestone. Also distances are FAR shorter haha.

I didn't realize that Bridgestone was not so common in the states because their stuff is all over the place in Australia. I think they used to make a few really nice sets of Australian market only irons back in the day. Maybe they had some Aus pros on staff. Bridgestone have several different brands so maybe they push one of the other names in the States.
The Titleist bag was an ultralight so pretty flimsy, I'm going to get something a little more substantial next time.

Bridgestone is not terribly common in the US or at least at the courses I play. I've yet to see a single player using Bridgestone irons, drivers, and here or there I'll see a player use their balls. I've never seen anyone with their bags and once saw a Bridgestone hat.

They don't make under any other label in the US, from what I know; maybe back in the day as Precept or Bridgestone Precept.

*edit* Also, I snagged a new Never Compromise Portofino putter with some shop wear smudges for $100 shipped. I eagerly await it!

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting. Did some google satellite and distance overlay apps and the fairways on my home course are sliiiightly narrower but the rough area is larger and fewer trees lining compared to Firestone. Also distances are FAR shorter haha.
Bridgestone is not terribly common in the US or at least at the courses I play. I've yet to see a single player using Bridgestone irons, drivers, and here or there I'll see a player use their balls. I've never seen anyone with their bags and once saw a Bridgestone hat.
They don't make under any other label in the US, from what I know; maybe back in the day as Precept or Bridgestone Precept.
*edit* Also, I snagged a new Never Compromise Portofino putter with some shop wear smudges for $100 shipped. I eagerly await it!

I think Faldo used to use Precept clubs, but they are marketed here with a focus on women and old dudes I think. They have at least two other brands in Japan, TourStage (sweet clubs), and Newing (mainly balls but also some clubs). I seem to recall that they had another brand as well but can't remember what it is.

Don't get distracted by how pretty your new putter is :)

Last edited:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think Faldo used to use Precept clubs, but they are marketed here with a focus on women and old dudes I think. They have at least two other brands in Japan, TourStage (sweet clubs), and Newing (mainly balls but also some clubs). I seem to recall that they had another brand as well but can't remember what it is.
Don't get distracted by how pretty your new putter is :)

I've heard great things about TourStage. I also had the feeling that Precept was a Retiree and Women's club.

I'll try not to get distracted. That baby will have the headcover on at all times, even while putting!!!! :laugh:

xpress

Reaction score
Friends,

First time out with the new clubs (R11s driver, R11 irons, Scotty California putter)

Haven't golfed in 6 years, and hit a 95 on 18.

Very, very pleased!
Feels good to be back.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Friends,
First time out with the new clubs (R11s driver, R11 irons, Scotty California putter)
Very, very pleased!
Feels good to be back.
:fonz:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Friends,
Very, very pleased!
Feels good to be back.

Fantastic opening round. I think my first one this year was a dismal 108 :(

Keep it up!

xpress

Reaction score
My first question:
Maruman Prestigio Gold Irons.

I just bought my R11's, and I like them, but I've come upon an AMAZING deal (75% off) a set of these Maruman clubs.

After some googling, it seems like these are top notch clubs, but I'm having difficulty finding anything on them.

You guys have any insight?

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My first question:
Maruman Prestigio Gold Irons.
I just bought my R11's, and I like them, but I've come upon an AMAZING deal (75% off) a set of these Maruman clubs.
After some googling, it seems like these are top notch clubs, but I'm having difficulty finding anything on them.
You guys have any insight?

Are you an old Korean business executive? If not then give the Marumans a miss.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads