• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

Schwazer

Reaction score
Are you talking about the putter than Zach Johnson uses?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try to get 36 in this weekend. One at my home course and another at the course that re-opened after being closed for a few years. I heard good things and hadn't played there since I was in high school.

I think at the end of this season I'm going to look into getting new irons. The faces of my CG2 tours are getting worn down. The new 588 MBs (I posted pics a few weeks ago) are mighty tempting but $$$$. Would likely just get the heads as I love my X100 Black Gold shafts.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, finally pulled the trigger on a new set of irons. Placed an order for a custom set of Mizuno JPX-800 Pro (forged). Picked up the 4 -9 plus a matching PW (45) and GW (50). Got Project X 5.5 shafts put in them and some velvet cord grips. Set them to 1 upright and 1 strong. Also ordered an off-the-rack JPX-800 3-h (19). Will need to replace my SW and am considering the Volkey or a Cleveland. From there it's either a 4th wedge or another FW wood.

Irons should be here in 3-4 weeks.

aragon765

Reaction score

Well, finally pulled the trigger on a new set of irons. Placed an order for a custom set of Mizuno JPX-800 Pro (forged). Picked up the 4 -9 plus a matching PW (45) and GW (50). Got Project X 5.5 shafts put in them and some velvet cord grips. Set them to 1 upright and 1 strong. Also ordered an off-the-rack JPX-800 3-h (19). Will need to replace my SW and am considering the Volkey or a Cleveland. From there it's either a 4th wedge or another FW wood.
Irons should be here in 3-4 weeks.

why did you choose the jpx-800 over the MP-59 or MP-69? From what you posted, you seem like a player, I would have thought you would prefer a true forged iron... I am in the market for new irons as well, but had not considered the Jpx's...

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

why did you choose the jpx-800 over the MP-59 or MP-69? From what you posted, you seem like a player, I would have thought you would prefer a true forged iron... I am in the market for new irons as well, but had not considered the Jpx's...

Realistically I need some game improvement characteristics. Even when i was playing a lot I'm still likely no better than an 8/9/10ish player. At the moment, getting back into it after such a long layoff I'm more realistically a 13/14ish player. The JPX-800 is not forged, but the JPX-800 Pro that I ordered is. I liked the compromise of getting a bit bigger sweet spot while still being able to work the ball a bit if I need to. The other clubs I was considering were the Ping i20s and the Titleist AP2-712s (which are also forged).

Schwazer

Reaction score

Realistically I need some game improvement characteristics. Even when i was playing a lot I'm still likely no better than an 8/9/10ish player. At the moment, getting back into it after such a long layoff I'm more realistically a 13/14ish player. The JPX-800 is not forged, but the JPX-800 Pro that I ordered is. I liked the compromise of getting a bit bigger sweet spot while still being able to work the ball a bit if I need to. The other clubs I was considering were the Ping i20s and the Titleist AP2-712s (which are also forged).

Good man.

Too many players play blades or irons meant for extremely good players, when some game improvement irons would be best suited.

aragon765

Reaction score

Good man.
Too many players play blades or irons meant for extremely good players, when some game improvement irons would be best suited.

Interesting, I am in the same handicap range and a similar playing history...I am considering the ap-2's and wanted to compare something from mizuno as I have heard good things. What was it about the jpx pro's that you preferred over the ap2's (assuming you hit/compared them). This might be a moot point as I am a lefty and I don't think the jpx pro is available in left hand, but still an interesting discussion. I have heard nothing but good things about the ap2's, am going to demo some clubs this weekend.

Thanks!

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Interesting, I am in the same handicap range and a similar playing history...I am considering the ap-2's and wanted to compare something from mizuno as I have heard good things. What was it about the jpx pro's that you preferred over the ap2's (assuming you hit/compared them). This might be a moot point as I am a lefty and I don't think the jpx pro is available in left hand, but still an interesting discussion. I have heard nothing but good things about the ap2's, am going to demo some clubs this weekend.
Thanks!

I did a club fitting where I hit four different irons (including my current set) to get a sense for performance in various categories. The Mizunos gave me the best overall performance. Discussion of it is here.

Basically the Mizunos fit me best in terms of launch angles, spin rates, distance and consistency. Ping i20's were next and the AP2's were a close third. I really came away feeling like any of the three would be an improvement over my current equipment. The Mizuno's had an overall best rating of the three I tried, so that's what I went with.

Irons are due in around the end of July. I'll post pics when they come in and an evaluation once I've had a chance to field test them.

Last edited:

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snapped my driver today.... Might just pick up a new one instead of having it re-shafted since it is 3yrs old.

Also, any iron suggestions for a 6-8 handicap? Really thinking about just dropping some cash and revamping most of my bag.

Also took a video at the range today. Been making some small tweaks to my swing lately.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

aragon765

Reaction score

Also, any iron suggestions for a 6-8 handicap? Really thinking about just dropping some cash and revamping most of my bag.

You could read the last couple pages, there has been a discussion about better players irons... Titleist ap2's, mizuno, etc...

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Snapped my driver today.... Might just pick up a new one instead of having it re-shafted since it is 3yrs old.

If you're really going to drop some cash I'd suggest finding a good independent club fitter in your area and having a full-bag fitting done. I had one done and it cost me a couple hundred bucks or so, but it really gave me a much better sense of what I needed my clubs to address and which clubs really fit my swing better. For me it also gave me a chance to try out my clubs against several other sets to see where there was a measurable difference and where there wasn't. As far as irons go it was really no contest. All of the sets I tried performed better than my old Hogans. For woods (driver and 3W) though, it was interesting to find that the performance improvement wasn't so automatic.

I also think that the Golf magazine club tests are interesting sources of information. Not the be-all-end-all, but at least you get to see what other people think the strengths and weaknesses of different sets are. You can find most of the info on their website I think. They just recently finished up their series for 2012. Here's the launch page for their reviews of irons: http://www.golf.com/equipment/golf-magazine-clubtest-2012-irons

Last edited:

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score

The Golfsmith near me always has Mizuno MP33, 30 and other types of Mizuno cavity back and small blade in the used section for around $250 I'm really considering buying some at some point just for the heck of it. Although I do love my i3 blades.

Don't know if you've moved on from this, but for me, the MP30s are one of the greatest sets Mizuno has put out.

Last summer I got the MP69s to replace an aging set of the MP30s. Recently had cause to play a round with the older set, and it's remarkable how similar the clubs play and feel. Granted, I have the exact same specs on each set, but if not for wear, I'd still be playing the MP30s.

Great feel, and aesthetically wonderful. I love those clubs.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I actually found a really nice set of MP 30s and went ahead and pulled the trigger on them. I'm going to go get the lie adjusted in a few weeks and see how well I play with them. Picked up a Burner Superfast 2.0 as well. I have just been playing driver and 2 iron for my long clubs, but decided to pick up a wood. Bought an old Titleist 980f 4 wood. Probably only hit it 2-3 times per round, but it'll be the first time i've had a wood in my bag in a long time. Now I just have to get to the range and learn to hit all these new clubs.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been eyeing down a new putter as my next purchase. Looking at blades with plumber neck as those are my most comfortable styles. Scotty Cameron Newport and Never Compromise Dinero and Gambler models are topping my list right now.

Any other suggestions?

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Newport and I love it.

First day hitting my new clubs and wow! the Burner Superfast is incredible have been absolutely smoking it. Digging my Titleist 4 wood and the irons feel solid, just need to hit them more. Overall, happy with my purchases.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads