• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

previlo

Reaction score
Curious about this as well. Tried on a M Ashby and it fit great but was much too short for my liking.
If a Bristol in M fits you well, then you need an Ashby in L.
At least that is my combination which fits me well (183cm tall and around 80kg).

roquesoon

Reaction score
If a Bristol in M fits you well, then you need an Ashby in L.
At least that is my combination which fits me well (183cm tall and around 80kg).

Hmm, well, here's hoping I can make the medium Bristol work. I'm a bit taller than you (190cm), but close to the same weight. Have a medium on its way here as we speak (at least hopefully...)

previlo

Reaction score
Well, let's see, but sorry mate I would assume that the M will be too short for you, in particular the arm length might be a problem.
The SL Bedale in Large has a bit longer arm length by the way, and I say the Ashby Large is in between the two.
Anyway, do you want to wear an additional add-on liner/ vest which you can zip into the Bristol?

roquesoon

Reaction score
Appreciate the advice. I haven't ordered a liner, though I'm not opposed to the idea. I will probably wear a reasonably thick lambswool sweater under it though.

I found that the M Ashby fit me well, including sleeve length, except it was at least 1.5" too short in the body for my liking. If I understand you correctly though, you're saying that if the M ashby fit well, I should have ordered a small bristol? That would have even shorter sleeves though, wouldn't it? At any rate, I'm more concerned with body length, as I have a long torso, than sleeve length, and the bristol ought to work on that front I would think. Ah, how the small details make all the difference...

Last edited:

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score

yespunintended

Reaction score
has anyone in the states sent their jacket into barbour to have them alter it? i have a bedale classic that practically fits like a circus tent on me. Im thinking about sending it in to have it altered, but Im concerned about how long it will take (and whether or not it'd be worth the cost over just selling it used and buying a smaller one brand new).

jhwendland

Reaction score
has anyone in the states sent their jacket into barbour to have them alter it? i have a bedale classic that practically fits like a circus tent on me. Im thinking about sending it in to have it altered, but Im concerned about how long it will take (and whether or not it'd be worth the cost over just selling it used and buying a smaller one brand new).

Sell it used.

previlo

Reaction score
I second that, you get more out of it..and you can choose a model which will fit you right away, not an uncertain compromise...

smartie-pants

Reaction score
I am seeing Bedale SL jackets online, but the Barbour site does not carry them. However, there are two different versions available - a classic bedale and a bedale.

Thoughts? Insights?

vesper39

Reaction score
Given Ashby XS, and Bedale SL in 34" and 36", would the sizing go SL 34" < Ashby XS < SL 36" < Ashby S?

yoshiwaan

Reaction score
I'm looking around at getting a new coat and spotted a second hard Barbour anthracite duffle. Supposedly it's 'only been worn once or twice' and is in very good condition. So the usual then.

Anyway, the listing says it's EU46/UK38, but I thought they were 10 apart, so I'm guessing that's a mistake. Either way I wear a size 36 chest in a suit.

Does anyone have any experience with fit on something like this? If it turns out to be a UK38 will I be swimming in something like this as a 36 chest size? Seems like the sort of thing that's probably not a bad thing to have too big though?

Edit: Just noticed there were more pictures of it and the label actually says EU46/UK38. Must be a Barbour thing?

Last edited:

yoshiwaan

Reaction score
Well I just bought it, why not take a punt eh.

I'll let you know how it goes. If nothing else maybe some other soul will learn about the fit from me if it doesn't work out.

dr1248

Reaction score
Is $270 considered a good price for the Barbour Ashby ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics