• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to forums (Holidy Party Pic)

pfr0g

Reaction score
This will be my first forum post after browsing for about 2 weeks. It was time, after the abuse my co-workers gave me for “dressing” up at the holiday party, to share my affinity for cloths with people who care.

Brief introduction:

I am 31, and currently work in the IT filed doing systems design and architecture. I have my own consulting company and am starting a specialized application hosting company. My “full time” job is with a University. The job allows me the time to work on building my business while going to school for free and is a steady revenue when my business is in a down turn.

I am by no means rich but do like nice cloths. I buy what I can reasonable afford and often buy too many lower end items instead of splurging on big ticket things. I developed a love for cloths when I was working directly with the CEO of a major toy company about 6 years ago. I went on a lot of product development trips with him to Hong Kong and some sales calls. He HATED the way I dressed and said my shirts were too baggy, my shoes were horrid and it was a bad image for the company. So he used the company credit card and bought me 3-4 suits (mostly Canali from a B&M store named Tyrone) tons of Armani ties, bespoke shoes from HK, M-T-M shirts from Ascot Chang, ect. Ever since then I have tried to keep my wardrobe updated but it is harder to spend your own money.

I still have some of those cloths and added here and there. I can not afford the high end suits but have a decent amount of Canali, Redaelli M-T-M (great suit imo), Jos A Bank Signature. Most of the Armani ties are very thin and outdated so I updated with some Borrelli and Brioni ties recently. I am in the market for some more M-T-M shirts and possible a few Borrelli.

Anyway, on to what I wore today to a Holiday party

Suit: Jos A Bank Signature Collection (don’t shoot it’s my first day; really it’s a great suit with a nice handle)
Shirt: Herringbone Grey contrasting white collar (Victor Talbots MTM)
Shoes: AE monks, brandy
Last but not least: SF Tie
smile.gif
What a fantastic tie, great handle, fantastic construction really nice weight to the silk.

I got a lot of crap about the tie from my crass co-workers who think dressing up is tucking in their shirt. Barber shop seemed like a running theme. I did however get just as many compliments on the tie.

Well that’s it for me. Sorry for the long post, I promise the rest will pale in comparison.

(And I am aware that my pocket square is messed up but this was after a long day at work and the party)

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome!

The outfit looks great.

Don't let the unwashed masses drag you under
smile.gif

pfr0g

Reaction score
Thanks!!

Just got the shoes from DSW (LI, New York) for a decent price. Think I paid 115. They had a bunch of AE shoes for under 120. Gotta love a good bargin.

I am trying my best not to let my co-workers bring me down
laugh.gif
I think people here would have a stroke if I posted pictures of what they consider business casual.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
(Victor Talbots MTM)
or Robert Talbott?

I'm surprised they didn't give you more s**t for the pocket square than the tie...

Welcome!

The outfit looks great.

Don't let the unwashed masses drag you under
+1

neyus

Reaction score
Look good.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

pfr0g

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
or Robert Talbott?

I'm surprised they didn't give you more s**t for the pocket square than the tie...

+1

smile.gif

It's Victor Talbot's Glen Cove, New York. They shot a few scenes from "Meet the Parents" there, although I didn't even recognize it when I saw the movie tbh. Some decent MTM shirts, IMHO.

http://www.victortalbots.com/

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Thankfully the Christmas party I'm going to will be more dressed up so I won't get any flak. Good job on outdoing everyone else.
smile.gif
I'm digging... -The appropriate use of stripes for your physique. -Use of a pocket square, a classic touch. (I would opt for white linen or cotton, but that's just my personal preference.) -The beautiful shoes. -Perfect sleeve length of both your jacket and shirt, showing just the right amount of cuff. However, I feel that... -The shirt could use white double cuffs instead. Contrasting shirts look a little more polished this way, in my opinion. -The collar style is a bit off with this look. Otherwise, very nicely done.

pfr0g

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Thankfully the Christmas party I'm going to will be more dressed up so I won't get any flak. Good job on outdoing everyone else.
smile.gif

I'm digging...
-The appropriate use of stripes for your physique.
-Use of a pocket square, a classic touch. (I would opt for white linen or cotton, but that's just my personal preference.)
-The beautiful shoes.
-Perfect sleeve length of both your jacket and shirt, showing just the right amount of cuff.

However, I feel that...
-The shirt could use white double cuffs instead. Contrasting shirts look a little more polished this way, in my opinion.
-The collar style is a bit off with this look.

Otherwise, very nicely done.

I agree about the pocket square. I really wanted a white/cream one but I left it in Long Island.
frown.gif

I am not happy with the collar either. Thinking about taking it back and getting the fabric matched and style changed. Going to cost around $75 so I am holding off to get a little more use out of the shirt first.

And for everyone getting the shoes, they are great. I am going back to the store this weekend to get dark brown lace up oxfords (AE) for about the same price.

Have fun at your party Jovan!

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Nice getup.

Enjoy the forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads