• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the most dangerous time for most riders is after the first season or two. Hubris sets in. People get complacent. People get reckless. People get lazy. All without noticing it themselves. However, in my experience the best deterrent is to go down and not get hurt that badly. That usually is enough to instill vigilance and caution..

epb

Reaction score

However, in my experience the best deterrent is to go down and not get hurt that badly. That usually is enough to instill vigilance and caution..

Talk to any motorcycle salesperson and they'll tell you stories of people having just that sort of accident in or leaving the parking lot on their brand new bikes - bit of road rash and torn clothing, damaged paint and broken indicators. Doesn't seem to slow most of them down.

I wish we had a graduated system. I just saw an ad today with someone selling a Honda CBR250R because he's "ready for something bigger." It's got 196 miles on it after two seasons so sure, he's got this riding thing down by now. :satisfied:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Talk to any motorcycle salesperson and they'll tell you stories of people having just that sort of accident in or leaving the parking lot on their brand new bikes - bit of road rash and torn clothing, damaged paint and broken indicators. Doesn't seem to slow most of them down.

I wish we had a graduated system. I just saw an ad today with someone selling a Honda CBR250R because he's "ready for something bigger." It's got 196 miles on it after two seasons so sure, he's got this riding thing down by now.
satisfied.gif

Hey man, that's a lotta times around a parking lot!

Lol. I put twice that many miles on my SV650 the first weekend I had it after I got my permit. That was a ton of fun. Really really dumb... but fun as hell. Atleast I was smart enough to stick to back roads!

brokencycle

Reaction score
I think the most dangerous time for most riders is after the first season or two. Hubris sets in. People get complacent. People get reckless. People get lazy. All without noticing it themselves. However, in my experience the best deterrent is to go down and not get hurt that badly. That usually is enough to instill vigilance and caution..

I crashed exactly the way the instructor told me I would -- not looking far enough ahead when riding. Learned my lesson after that.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took both my bikes out this past weekend for the first time of the season.

God, I missed that ****.

HankVenture

Reaction score
What kind of jackets are you guys riding in?

I'm taking the MSF in about a month or so and have been kind of passively looking around at gear.

What are some of the things I should look for in order to judge the quality of a riding jacket?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What kind of jackets are you guys riding in?

I'm taking the MSF in about a month or so and have been kind of passively looking around at gear.

What are some of the things I should look for in order to judge the quality of a riding jacket?

Where are you located? If you're my size (M) and stateside, I'd sell you my triumph jacket...

In any event. Look for a jacket with elbow pads, spine protector, shoulder pads, etc. Leather is good, but make sure it has vents with zippers for warmer days. If it gets hot where you are, you'll likely need two jackets if you're a fair weather rider.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you located? If you're my size (M) and stateside, I'd sell you my triumph jacket...

In any event. Look for a jacket with elbow pads, spine protector, shoulder pads, etc. Leather is good, but make sure it has vents with zippers for warmer days. If it gets hot where you are, you'll likely need two jackets if you're a fair weather rider.

I have 2 Dainese jackets and a 1 piece Teknic suit and an AlpineStars womens' jacket that I bought for whatshername that is waaay too big for her now, thank Gawd/Yaweh/Allah/Buddah/David Koresh/Jenny Craig but I digress. Although textile is more flexible I prefer the feel and style of leather. Perforated leather does wonders during the warm months but unless you walk with the liner you might freeze at night. All leather sucks when the temps go above 90 degrees. One of my jackets is partially perforated and breathes surprisingly well while I am moving but I die with every traffic light. Dainese are very snug fitting, have excellent features and excellent quality yet have zipper pulls that seem to be made of tin foil. Like ridethecliche said, shoulder, elbow armour are very important. Normally the back protector that comes with jackets is just a foam pad...basically a spacer. Back protectors are almost always extra. Keep in mind that you will never find a single jacket that checks all of your boxes. Your own sense of style as well as your body type/size plays important roles in determining which brand(s) to chose:

If you are above a 44 or so you might want to stay away from the slimmer cut Euro and Asian brands like Dainese, Spidi, AGV, RS Taichi and stick with A*, RevIt, Vanson, Joe Rocket, Roland Sands, Icon, Cortech, etc.;
Cruiser riders look silly wearing sportbike oriented jackets yet the reverse does not hold true;
Supermoto type riders can wear anything and still look cool;
Online pricing is a lot cheaper than in brick & mortar stores but it is impossible to get the customer service that you need;
Consider used jackets (but never helmets) from motorcycle forums;
Please wear jeans under your chaps
laugh3-smiley.gif

What type of bike are you considering for your first?

Last edited:

igotnuthin

Reaction score
the dmv skills test out here in california is putting dangerous riders on the street.

i ride an old 250cc dual sport just about everywhere. i am too fat to go really fast, so safe-ish.
always wear leather and boots. the heat sucks, but road rash is worse.

i crash a lot on my pedal bike. the motorcycle has curbed my drinking habit.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear this jacket: http://britishmotorcyclegear.com/montana-jacket.html That says black, but mine is a very dark brown--not sure if they actually make a black version, or are just calling the dark brown "black"

Have the included shoulder/elbow armor as well as back armor in it.

Also have some kevlar lined jeans with some d3o knee armor...although I am on the lookout for something new as the denim is starting to fall apart.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Congrats?

Edit: That was directed at the spam p0@$t.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads