• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah you can ride for up to a year on an American License. But they basically think we get a license by answering 10 questions and paying a fee, so there isn't reciprocity. They're also the most technically proficient riders I've seen anywhere in the world.

My brother doesn't ride =\

Does the International Drivers License still exist?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I have an expired one somewhere. It is really just a permit though. Basically a translation guide for your drivers license, no real authority.

A lot of countries basically have rules that say "we'll accept your foreign drivers license as long as it has a date, photo, ID#, and is printed in the latin alphabet so police can read it". Others require the IDP for everyone.

The IDP basically is a little booklet that has a photo, is stamped by some local authority assuring it matches your real drivers license, and then contains translations of key portions of the card into other languages (especially non-latin character sets)...things like expiration date, and what type of vehicles you are licensed for.

Kind of a scam really. It expires in 1 year (rather than whenever your license expires)...and then you have to pay another $20 to AAA (its not even the government who issues it), for a pre-printed translation book with your photo stapled to it.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Friend of mine came by today with his new toy. 1978 CBX.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You didn't take the best picture though.... The one from the front with all six runners of the exhaust manifold!

A friend is restoring one. I wonder how he's doing so far!

MGWS

Reaction score
When I lived in Honolulu this was my sole transportation. It was great because you could park anywhere without a ticket and they never charged you at parking structures (even at the airport). Unfortunately it was stolen when I moved to Seattle.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OH man. Wanna buy that for me and ride it down to Philly? I'll pay you, too. Haha.

I still have my moto license and all my gear!

(As well as the plates from my old bike, though I think the way it works is that you have x amount of time to get a new vehicle registered and inspected as long as you have the title and paperwork for it.)

Or you could come up here by bus/train/whatever and I could drive you to the sellers. Though, I'm sure there are deals local to you as well. That bike does look pretty phenomenal since it's the STR with the arrow exhaust and has only 4k miles on it...

Last edited:

MGWS

Reaction score
Bike manufacturers should seriously do something to provide extra safety feature to the machines.
What would you suggest?

Motorcycles now have complete electronics packages to keep the power to the ground, ABS brakes, electronically adjustable suspensions, wet road settings, wheelie control, launch control, etc...
When you ride, you assume the risk involved and that is also part of the fun. If you what want to be safe, buy a Volvo.

pfurey

Reaction score

I still have my moto license and all my gear!

(As well as the plates from my old bike, though I think the way it works is that you have x amount of time to get a new vehicle registered and inspected as long as you have the title and paperwork for it.)

Or you could come up here by bus/train/whatever and I could drive you to the sellers. Though, I'm sure there are deals local to you as well. That bike does look pretty phenomenal since it's the STR with the arrow exhaust and has only 4k miles on it...

I would honestly pay you, as that's a STEAL and nothing as good locally. ha.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bike manufacturers should seriously do something to provide extra safety feature to the machines.

What would you suggest?

Motorcycles now have complete electronics packages to keep the power to the ground, ABS brakes, electronically adjustable suspensions, wet road settings, wheelie control, launch control, etc...
When you ride, you assume the risk involved and that is also part of the fun. If you what want to be safe, buy a Volvo.

Slipper clutches, automatic downshift blippers, gyro based sensors for mid turn slide prevention, better tire technology...basically this is the golden age of motorycycling

epb

Reaction score

I disagree. If you compare accident stats in the US with other first world countries, it becomes clear that the biggest issue with rider safety is rider training. Driver training is equally poor here, but we've layered on more and more technology to compensate for lousy driving habits as we head for the Holy Grail: self-driving cars. There's little incentive to improve in that area with cars, despite traffic deaths totaling the population of a small town every year.

Self-driving is never going to be an option with motorcycles, so we're kind of stuck. America's most cherished right is the Right to be Stupid (the Right to be Greedy comes close) and you can't convince them that two days in a parking lot on a 250cc didn't prepare them for an 800lb 1500cc cruiser or 200hp liter-bike, so if they have an accident it must have been the bike's fault and not their limited experience (most accidents are new riders), the six beers they had (52% of accidents involve alcohol), or the lack of safety equipment (we're still actively fighting helmet laws in many states) and we need a slew of technology. But the most effective piece of safety equipment we have is the human brain and we clearly refuse to use that, so the others won't do much good.

MGWS

Reaction score
It is kind of mind boggling that there are not more deaths considering you can buy a 200+ hp bike as your first in the US. I think Europe has a better approach of MC licensing as that you have to work your way up in displacement. Once you have extracted all the performance of a 250cc bike, you then have to manage the best technique to ride more efficiently. After that, increase displacement.

On a safety note, Dainese makes gear with airbags built in. It's a flagship item now but like all tech, it will trickle its way down over time.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is kind of mind boggling that there are not more deaths considering you can buy a 200+ hp bike as your first in the US. I think Europe has a better approach of MC licensing as that you have to work your way up in displacement. Once you have extracted all the performance of a 250cc bike, you then have to manage the best technique to ride more efficiently. After that, increase displacement.

On a safety note, Dainese makes gear with airbags built in. It's a flagship item now but like all tech, it will trickle its way down over time.

It may trickle down, but folks still have to decide to use it.

So many idjits riding around in shorts and white tees.

I agree with you re:cc limits, but it's hard to compare to europe since the roads are totally different there. Then again, a 400-500CC bike can fly past legal limits just fine.

MGWS

Reaction score
Quote:
I'm in South Florida now and no one wears a any protective gear. When they ride by I cringe for them. The only thing saving them is that all the roads are straight so the only skill needed down here is getting a bike rolling from 1st. If we could enact a law that allows you to ride without gear but it voids your health insurance, I would love that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads