• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milk consumed after a weight workout results in greater increases in muscle than a so

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iamaloser
That website doesn't look like the most reputable source on the planet, but the only websites refuting that specific author are all hippy websites, so I will never know the truth. Either way I don't see how anyone could chug milk after a workout, that's ridiculous.

I chug milk both before AND after I lift, usually mixed with whey protein, and often in smoothie form with tons of other crap. For whatever reason, probably because I've never stopped drinking milk, it causes me no digestive problems whatsoever, and I normally have a fairly weak stomach.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I chug milk both before AND after I lift, usually mixed with whey protein, and often in smoothie form with tons of other crap. For whatever reason, probably because I've never stopped drinking milk, it causes me no digestive problems whatsoever, and I normally have a fairly weak stomach.

+ 1

I drink about a liter of non-fat milk every day, including a shake of BSN Syntha-6 powder (best tasting protein powder I've ever come across) in 12 oz of milk.

kever

Reaction score
My favorite post-workout meal is a liter of chocolate milk. Lots of carbs, lots of protein, and lots of calories. I've been hearing bad things about milk recently, but I like it too much to stop drinking it. This doesn't really add to the post, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway..

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kever
My favorite post-workout meal is a liter of chocolate milk. Lots of carbs, lots of protein, and lots of calories. I've been hearing bad things about milk recently, but I like it too much to stop drinking it. This doesn't really add to the post, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway..

Huh? Chocolate milk (the regular kind, assuming that's what you're talking about) contains ~1.1 gram of fat for every gram of protein, which translates to roughly a 2.2:1 fat calories to protein calories ratio. And according to most, fat is to be avoided pre and post workout. That is not to mention its excessively high sugar content; unless you trains for triathlon, you probably don't need ~100g of sugar for muscle recovery...

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
A liter? Jesus... I almost always mix whey with half water/half milk since it's easier on my stomach and tastes a lot better.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Huh? Chocolate milk (the regular kind, assuming that's what you're talking about) contains ~1.1 gram of fat for every gram of protein, which translates to roughly a 2.2:1 fat calories to protein calories ratio. And according to most, fat is to be avoided pre and post workout. That is not to mention its excessively high sugar content; unless you trains for triathlon, you probably don't need ~100g of sugar for muscle recovery...
He could get nonfat chocolate milk and be okay, though I'd still rather just have regular (non-chocolate) nonfat milk and avoid adding sugar to an already sugar-rich food. Still, if you're going to have a lot of sugar, having it immediately post-workout is pretty much the best of all possible times. My recent pre- and post-workout diet has been: Pre-workout: put 1 and a 1/2 cups of whole milk, a little bit (1/2 cup or so) of OJ, 1/2 to 3/4 cup of whole milk yogurt (no fruit flavors, no corn syrup, just real yogurt), 35g whey protein, a banana, 5g creatine, and a handful of frozen strawberries and blueberries in a blender. Blend. Drink. Lift (supersetting to keep the session a bit shorter). Stretch. If I finished off with squats because I've been procrastinating on doing them all workout, try not to vomit. Post-workout: a repeat of the pre-workout shake, usually with a little less protein and a little less yogurt, and no creatine. Take a shower. One hour later: Eat a real meal, no less than 700 calories. I frequently have a glass of milk with the meal, too. I know it sounds sort of grotesque, but since I started this about three weeks ago my lifts are going up across the board at a rate that I haven't seen since my original beginner's gains. I don't know if it'll last, and it may also be that changing up my lifting program is responsible for some of it, but for now I'm sticking with what's working.

kever

Reaction score
He could get nonfat chocolate milk and be okay, though I'd still rather just have regular (non-chocolate) nonfat milk and avoid adding sugar to an already sugar-rich food. Still, if you're going to have a lot of sugar, having it immediately post-workout is pretty much the best of all possible times.

My recent pre- and post-workout diet has been: Pre-workout: put 1 and a 1/2 cups of whole milk, a little bit (1/2 cup or so) of OJ, 1/2 to 3/4 cup of whole milk yogurt (no fruit flavors, no corn syrup, just real yogurt), 35g whey protein, a banana, 5g creatine, and a handful of frozen strawberries and blueberries in a blender. Blend. Drink. Lift (supersetting to keep the session a bit shorter). Stretch. If I finished off with squats because I've been procrastinating on doing them all workout, try not to vomit. Post-workout: a repeat of the pre-workout shake, usually with a little less protein and a little less yogurt, and no creatine. Take a shower. One hour later: Eat a real meal, no less than 700 calories. I frequently have a glass of milk with the meal, too.

I know it sounds sort of grotesque, but since I started this about three weeks ago my lifts are going up across the board at a rate that I haven't seen since my original beginner's gains. I don't know if it'll last, and it may also be that changing up my lifting program is responsible for some of it, but for now I'm sticking with what's working.

Originally Posted by whacked

Well, I get 1% chocolate milk. It breaks down like this:
Per 250ml: Cal - 168, Protein - 8.4g, Fat - 2.8g, Carb - 29g + all of the other fun stuff milk has.
Right now I'm training for basketball pretty damn hard (3+ hours a day) so I really do need the extra carbs and calories, even if the calories come from fat. Being 6'6" and 230lbs also gives me a little more leeway when it comes to eating when I'm working out this much. Nutrition is a big part of the gains you make from working out, so that makes sense SAUCE that you've made big gains when you've been eating well. I was once told by a personal trainer that nutrition determines about the same amount of your physical fitness as does training (that seems a bit high to me, but he trains Olympic athletes and has numerous degrees, so I trust him). He said to eat pretty much exactly what SAUCE is doing. Pre-workout snack, Post-workout snack, and a big meal as soon as possible, focusing on carbohydrates and calories first.

If I don't eat enough calories in a day, I quickly lose all of the muscle I've built up over the off season, thus making a gluttonous amount of chocolate milk appropriate or even necessary.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Fair enough.

Being 6'6" and 230lbs also gives me a little more leeway when it comes to eating when I'm working out this much.
Lucky (or unlucky, depending on circumstances
tounge.gif
) you.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
6'6", 230, and 3 hours of basketball a day is definitely enough activity to warrant a liter of chocolate milk post-workout... it's really hard just to maintain weight at that kind of activity level. I'm still impressed that you can knock down a full liter of chocolate milk, though. You should compete!

kever

Reaction score
... You should compete!

I can put back a liter in about 5 or 6 minutes, but even 1 liter can make me feel a bit off sometimes. I've thought of trying the 4 liters, but I've never seen anyone do it, and those who have tried haven't even made it past 3 without it coming back up. Maybe when I'm done playing basketball I can start training for the Gallon Challenge....

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCsommerreid
Yes and no. It's loaded with phytoestrogen, so I suppose when the body is going through its hormonal madness during development it could wreak havoc just like too much testosterone or progesterone could.

So it's basically just like any other food, not gods gift to mankind come to save the world, but not gonna kill you either. That and it generally tastes like ass.

What about for the grown-ups? Is milk a good substitute?

iamaloser

Reaction score

For me it's more that my stomach shrinks up when I work out, and I'd rather have water overflowing than milk.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone would drink soy, unless you're lactose intolerant. There is zero upside.

No fat milk is the way to go. After I lift in the morning I blend acup of milk, 40g of chocolate Biochem whey protein, a few ice cubes, and a banana. Tasty.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought soy used to be a trash crop instead of a cash crop. Somehow good marketing made it profitable recently, probably because they are easy to grow. I'd stay away from soy products unless you are craving some edamame during sushi.

Also, fat free milk is bad too. If I remember correctly, you need the fat so that you can absorb the calcium.

I take whey after weighlifting and I mix it with lowfat milk. I wouldn't think milk would hurt whey, but then again, I've been too lazy to ever check.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads