• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

troyskywalk

Reaction score
Soliciting advice about sizing. I'm going to buy a vintage navy issued peacoat and am deciding between a 38r and 40r. I heard the older peacoats are trimmer. I'm 5'7" 173lbs with a 39" chest that may get bigger since I'm lifting a fair amount. Would appreciate any advice

SSingh1975

Reaction score

Peacoat

Reaction score

peacoat,

I  have a chest size bare skin across the nipples of 39.5" and if I go up the chest a bit above the nipples 38.5" these were taken NOT inhaling.

I want a sleek/slim fit peacoat from the 60's era like a 66, 67 jacket would be great. 

I have been thinking about going with a size 36 because right now I am about 15lbs heavier than I need and my chest/ mid section is where I store a lot of weight so that would come down some with cleaning up my diet. been there and done it.

most of the 36's seem to list at 20" pit to pit, 17.5" shoulder to shoulder and 31" long. Would this work? did they make a 36s? 

The ideal sleeve length for me is 24" shoulder to cuff that puts it about 3/4 down from my wrist to my knuckles.

What in that era of coats in the kersey wool would you recommend with the given info?

thanks so much

If you lose enough weight to reduce your chest to 38" a size 36 peacoat ought to fit you OK. P2p of 20" or a little less in a size 38 ought to give a good fit.

A short size may have been made, but I'm not sure I have ever seen one. If you get a good fit everywhere except the sleeves, they can easily be taken up. Tell the tailor to not trim the excess so the sleeves can be returned to original if the coat is sold.

Soliciting advice about sizing. I'm going to buy a vintage navy issued peacoat and am deciding between a 38r and 40r. I heard the older peacoats are trimmer. I'm 5'7" 173lbs with a 39" chest that may get bigger since I'm lifting a fair amount. Would appreciate any advice

A size 38 ought to give a good fit, especially if you gain an inch in the chest.

Yes, the older coats are a bit more trim, although most would not notice the difference. I classify vintage as pre 1980, and that is what you will want to look for. The wool shell (Kersey) is much nicer than the post 1979 Melton shell.

If you haven't already noticed, the link to my peacoat dating guide is noted in my signature line below. There is also a section on fit toward the end.

Good luck to both of you in the hunt.

Last edited:

mclmm

Reaction score

I'm the same height and weight, but with a ~43" chest and 32" waist. My current Sterlingwear pea coat is a 44r. The shoulders are probably 1-1.5" too wide per side, and far too big through the waist. So, I'm thinking of dropping down to a 42r or 40r, but am concerned about tightness through the chest.

Any fit guidance?

Peacoat

Reaction score

I'm the same height and weight, but with a ~43" chest and 32" waist. My current Sterlingwear pea coat is a 44r. The shoulders are probably 1-1.5" too wide per side, and far too big through the waist. So, I'm thinking of dropping down to a 42r or 40r, but am concerned about tightness through the chest.

Any fit guidance?

You are a tweener (between sizes) and more difficult to fit. I would try a size 42 from Sterlingwear. If it is too large, you can send it back and get a size 40. I would be concerned that the size 40 would be too short in the sleeves. As you already have the size 44, you will have a good idea how the size 42 will fit.

mclmm

Reaction score
You are a tweener (between sizes) and more difficult to fit. I would try a size 42 from Sterlingwear. If it is too large, you can send it back and get a size 40. I would be concerned that the size 40 would be too short in the sleeves. As you already have the size 44, you will have a good idea how the size 42 will fit.
Thanks, Peacoat.

I should have clarified that my tailor shortened the sleeves on the 44. As a reference, my mtm dress shirt sleeves are 32.75".

You can get a sense of my build in this post:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/380371/proper-cloth-official-affiliate-thread/885#post_8126662

Does that help?

rchdggr

Reaction score
I just got a late 60s USN Dale Fashions peacoat in size 36 to replace one in size 34 from 1945. The 36 fits and looks better in most ways except for the shoulders. I'm wondering if there is any chance of finding an USN peacoat in size 36 with shoulders that are a bit more narrow than usual. Maybe a certain vintage? The difference in shoulder width is 0.75", just enough to make the 36 look a little off in my eyes. I'm not sure if anyone else would notice.

Edit: I re-read Peacoat's guide and it stated that a WWII coat might be smaller in the shoulder. I'll see if I can find some for sale.. I wonder if the post-war peacoats from the early fifties are any smaller than the late 60s one?

What about alterations? I guess such a small narrowing of the shoulders (0.75") would be doable?

Last edited:

runner-guy

Reaction score
Just received this Fidelity peacoat from Vermont's Barre in the mail. Got it for less than $120 with free shipping on Black Friday. I originally bought a size 40R Sterlingwear US military issued coat that was NWT on ebay and had to resell it because it was just too big. Got a 38R in the Fidelity and it fits great.

https://shop.vtarmynavy.com/fidelity-army-navy-wool-pea-coats-p995.aspx

Last edited:

Bizjak

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this peacoat? My only concern is that it might be an inch or two too short...

Last edited:

Cooly

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this peacoat? My only concern is that it might be an inch or two too short...

I don't think it's too short, it looks really good (not boxy...and a good slim fit)...I got one by RRL this year and it doesn't quite cover my butt (but I know it fits me well and that's how it's supposed to look for that brand)..I think it has a lot to do with styling/brand...

wanksy

Reaction score
does anyone have an actual fitpic of the Balmain x H&M navy peacoat? also how's the quality given you pay retail? don't usually go for h&m, but bcs it's a collaboration, i assumed that it'll be in a higher quality than typical h&m piece, right?

cheers

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads