• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

VictorC

Reaction score

they only use 26oz wool and are rated for 25F to 40F.....looks nice style wise (earlier 10 button coat) but i don't think they are great at being usable in certain weather conditions.
PS thanks for the explanation on the wool differences

Im not sure about 260z wool. I just quickly read there ad and it says 70%melton wool. But 25f is quite cold, so dont seem too bad a coat warmth wise. But i suppose youd have to wear a wool sweater underneath and thermal wear under the wool sweater as well as the coat. Heres the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpha-Ind...ps=63&clkid=3533701898841843923&_qi=RTM756416

@peacoat,
Do you remember me i havent been here for a while as you have already helped me buy a genuine US navy peacoat from vintage cant remember the name of the company.
But with the link i gave what are your thoughts now. Is it nearly as good as sterlingwear? I value your opinion.

Last edited:

VictorC

Reaction score

Hi!

I'm looking at getting a sterlingwear authentic peacoat, but I'm having a little trouble on which size I should get. I'm 5' 7'', 140lbs, 31 waist, and a 37 chest. I generally wear a 38S jacket, but that is a tad long. I asked a rep at sterlingwear and they said to get a 38R. I'm a little skeptical about that and would probably get a 38S, but I would like some insight before I make the plunge.

Thanks!

With your weight i would have thought a 36" coat would be more suitable. I have a genuine US peacouat and its 36. and im 154lb.

Peacoat

Reaction score

@peacoat,
Do you remember me i havent been here for a while as you have already helped me buy a genuine US navy peacoat from vintage cant remember the name of the company.
But with the link i gave what are your thoughts now. Is it nearly as good as sterlingwear? I value your opinion.

Yes, I remember you. I answered your question about Alpha Industries Peacoats on the previous page, reply #4467.

How would a kersey peacoat fare in -15 to -25 degrees celsius weather?

If I remember my celsius temperatures correctly, that is about 5 degrees to about minus 13 degrees on the Fahrenheit scale. You would need something warmer than a peacoat. When the temps are that low, I go with cold weather gear.

Last edited:

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last winter, we did not have much of a winter in Michigan. (Global warming?) But, there were days when the temp dipped way below zero with a fierce wind. On those days, I wore my Mil-Spec coat with just a shirt (no sweater) and was warm as toast. It is, after all, 32 oz wool--a heavy coat.

Last edited:

Contrast

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with upgrading their Sterlingwear jacket to a different type of material? I have read in the fourms somewhere that you can upgrade the material for $50 for 100% wool, $125 Loro Piana, $150 Wool/Cashmere.
Is this correct?

Intead of the Mil-Spec now I'm thinking of getting the Authentic for 210 + 125 for Loro Piana. Do you also have to pay the $20 for customization fee?

Last edited:

Peacoat

Reaction score

Does anyone have experience with upgrading their Sterlingwear jacket to a different type of material? I have read in the fourms somewhere that you can upgrade the material for $50 for 100% wool, $125 Loro Piana, $150 Wool/Cashmere.
Is this correct?

Intead of the Mil-Spec now I'm thinking of getting the Authentic for 210 + 125 for Loro Piana. Do you also have to pay the $20 for customization fee?

How would you upgrade the Sterlingwear Authentic to Loro Piana when that is not a type of material, such as wool, but a designer brand? Or am I missing a big chunk of something here? I will probably feel pretty stupid when there is a logical answer.

Contrast

Reaction score
How would you upgrade the Sterlingwear Authentic to Loro Piana when that is not a type of material, such as wool, but a designer brand? Or am I missing a big chunk of something here? I will probably feel pretty stupid when there is a logical answer.

Quote:
This is where I saw the information from. Loro Piana is a textile company, not just a designer.

xdawes23

Reaction score
I need help determining my size for this particular Billy Reid peacoat.

Their size chart says size small is 39" chest, and 18" shoulders, whereas the medium is 41" chest, and 18.5" shoulders.

My bare chest is 38", 17" shoulders, and 32" actual waist (bellybutton). I am 5"6 @ 145 lbs, athletic build.

Small or medium?

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need help determining my size for this particular Billy Reid peacoat.

Their size chart says size small is 39" chest, and 18" shoulders, whereas the medium is 41" chest, and 18.5" shoulders.

My bare chest is 38", 17" shoulders, and 32" actual waist (bellybutton). I am 5"6 @ 145 lbs, athletic build.

Small or medium?
Easily a small. Call the BR customer service to be sure.

Last edited:

rskimhs

Reaction score
fyi for anyone looking to buy Schott, you may want to consider sizing down two sizes. I normally wear a 38 jacket, but 36 was still too big on me and so I'm awaiting a 34 - hopefully should be right. The p2p for 38 was 23", 36 is 22" and 34 is 21" ...Unfortunately I got the measurements for the 36 and 34 after ordering the 36.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics