• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Reaction score
FYI the P2P measurements for the authentic 34s, 32s and J.Crew XS are on the previous page. It took a while for my post to get approved since I'm new, so it was likely missed as the new page started.

Thanks for the pics and the measurements! You saved me from ordering all three of those coats in those same exact sizes.

I'm with you on the big caboose: center vent jackets also flare on me too!

HAL 9000

Reaction score
Is it easy for a tailor to tighten the arm sleeves on a vintage peacoat? I find that the length is usually good, but the sleeves are too wide and big.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here is the current issue Sterlingwear Mil-Spec (2011) all buttoned up, collar popped. There are only seven buttons on the coat. I guess that the US Navy, in a cost cutting measure, decided that a matching 8th button is not necessary. I'm wearing a fairly, beefy Shetland sweater underneath. Apology for the poor light. And, apologies for that mess in the background. I am cleaning out desk drawers.
I think I asked you this last year, but is the Spec a midnight navy or black?

nautikal

Reaction score

In the sizing guide I tell how to measure the p2p. Here it is again:
When I want a pit to pit measurement of the peacoat, I ask the seller to lay the coat face up on a flat surface, such as a bed. Stretch it tightly from side to side and pull the same amount of material evenly from the front and the back. Do not be concerned about any seams--disregard the seams. We want the amount of material stretched in the back to be the same as the amount stretched in the front. Then let the fabric relax and take the measurement. It should be a whole number and a fraction--such as 19.25 inches. Do not round off; we want the entire number. Try to be accurate to 1/8 of an inch. This pit to pit measurement tells us how the coat will fit in the chest, and if the stated chest size on the tag is accurate.

Ok the clarification about the seams is helpful. So what I measured should be correct +/- 1/8"

Thanks for the pics and the measurements! You saved me from ordering all three of those coats in those same exact sizes.

I'm with you on the big caboose: center vent jackets also flare on me too!

Glad to have helped. What is your chest size and height/weight? Let me know if you end up finding a peacoat. None of the major brands seem to have coats that are small enough for someone with a 34" chest, and the Sterlingwear's just don't seem to be cut right for me (arms too big, shoulders too padded and square, etc.).

Last edited:

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I asked you this last year, but is the Spec a midnight navy or black?

In most light, the current issue Mil-Spec appears black. But, sometimes, with the right kind of light, there are hints of blue.

rskimhs

Reaction score
finally got the right fit (i think?)..ordered the slim fit (DU704I) small from Schott..i think for anyone with 38" chest or smaller, gotta go for another jacket because Schott sizing runs very big. I tried both 36 and 34 before trying this one.

definitely lighter and not as thick as the 32oz Melton but still warm enough for me

Last edited:

Peacoat

Reaction score

Is it easy for a tailor to tighten the arm sleeves on a vintage peacoat? I find that the length is usually good, but the sleeves are too wide and big.

I wouldn't think it would be too difficult. Might be expensive, though, as it is probably time consuming.

Probably he would taper from the armholes down to the cuff. Doubt that he would be able to do anything about the size of the armholes. I think that tapering the diameter of the sleeves, starting at the armholes, would help quite a bit, though.

I just had the sleeves lengthened at the cuff on my original size 40 vintage peaccat. He let them out about an inch. The cost was $44, so doing the entire sleeve would probably be more.

I wish I had done it years ago, but I just never thought to look in the cuff to see if there was additional material there. Anyway, that coat was misplaced for a number of years, so it really made no difference.

Reaction score
Glad to have helped. What is your chest size and height/weight? Let me know if you end up finding a peacoat. None of the major brands seem to have coats that are small enough for someone with a 34" chest, and the Sterlingwear's just don't seem to be cut right for me (arms too big, shoulders too padded and square, etc.).

I have a 34" chest, 5'4"/130 lbs.

I took some pictures of the Gap cropped peacoat (navy) and the classic peacoat (charcoal) both x-small. You can see the center vent on the classic peacoat flaring out.

Any comments on the fit otherwise? The jean pockets hang low but I can tell you the cropped peacoat doesn't quite cover my entire rear while the classic peacoat does.

Measurements are:
• Gap cropped peacoat, xs:
• chest p2p: 20 3/8"
• Sleeve (from shoulder seam): 24 1/2"
• Sleeve (from pit seam): 18 3/8"
• Length (rear excluding collar): 26 3/4"

• Gap classic peacoat, xs:
• chest p2p: 20 7/8"
• Sleeve (from shoulder seam): 24 1/4"
• Sleeve (from pit seam): 17 3/4"
• Length (rear excluding collar): 28 3/8"

Cropped:

Classic:

monsen86

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

This is my first post and I intend to make it a difficult one.

I recently been looking for a peacoat and had my mind set on the J. Crew Bayswater peacoat. After reading that I rather should get a authentic US navy peacoat, Sterlingwear or a Schott I'm pretty torn and can't make up a decision.

After checking out a youtube video about a Brooks Saddles commercial I saw a peacoat that I really liked, so if anybody could give me any detail or knows what kind of brand it is I would be forever grateful.

It's maybe a long shot but it beats roaming the Internet forever looking.

bik2101

Reaction score
found a peacoat on ebay. seller says its from the 50s/60s but there is no tag anywhere apparently. the lapels are bigger like the post wwII ones (according to peacoat's aricle on fedoraluonge) tried to figure out as much information as possible using that article. but there's also no vent in the back. couldn't find any information in the article about changes to vents (if any) so was wondering if you could chime in on this peacoat? thanks.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Hello everyone. 

This is my first post and I intend to make it a difficult one.

I recently been looking for a peacoat and had my mind set on the J. Crew Bayswater peacoat. After reading that I rather should get a authentic US navy peacoat, Sterlingwear or a Schott I'm pretty torn and can't make up a decision.

After checking out a youtube video about a Brooks Saddles commercial I saw a peacoat that I really liked, so if anybody could give me any detail or knows what kind of brand it is I would be forever grateful.

It's maybe a long shot but it beats roaming the Internet forever looking.

OK, you got the collar right. Now undo that top button.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I have a 34" chest, 5'4"/130 lbs. I took some pictures of the Gap cropped peacoat (navy) and the classic peacoat (charcoal) both x-small. You can see the center vent on the classic peacoat flaring out. Any comments on the fit otherwise? The jean pockets hang low but I can tell you the cropped peacoat doesn't quite cover my entire rear while the classic peacoat does. Measurements are:
• Gap cropped peacoat, xs:
• chest p2p: 20 3/8"
• Sleeve (from shoulder seam): 24 1/2"
• Sleeve (from pit seam): 18 3/8"
• Length (rear excluding collar): 26 3/4"

• Gap classic peacoat, xs:
• chest p2p: 20 7/8"
• Sleeve (from shoulder seam): 24 1/4"
• Sleeve (from pit seam): 17 3/4"
• Length (rear excluding collar): 28 3/8"

Cropped:
Classic:

Dammit. Top and bottom buttons unbuttoned! MIddle button buttoned only! How many times do I have to say this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads