• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

SnarlPatrick

Reaction score
I know this is a longshot, but can anyone ID the maker of this peacoat? The label is damaged and I can only make out certain words. I've turned up the contrast to make it more legible. It says "standard method", "made in usa", and a line to write in your name. Its got anchor motif buttons. Any ideas? Anyone recognize this label?
imgp5059.jpg
imgp5057c.jpg

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SnarlPatrick
Oh well. At least I only spent 7 bucks on it. Doesn't fit me anyway. I'll throw it on ebay.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Glad to be of help. If you want to learn more about peacoats, especially vintage peacoats, please visit this site:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...PEACOAT-DATING

I have posted this link before, but the pages on this forum are so short, that information gets buried 5 or 6 pages back pretty quickly.

VictorC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peacoat
Do you mean USN Tags inside the coats? If so, they are phony labels, as you know, having read the article on Navy peacoats. And at 50% or even 80% wool, I don't think they will be warm enough for the winters you guys have over there. From my time there, I found England has relatively cold winters--not as cold as Germany, but cold just the same. Plus it can be a wet environment as well. Love your freezing fog! Never experienced that in the US.

What about the Royal Navy peacoats? I would think there would be an abundance of them in London. But I never see anything posted about them. I would like to know more, such as style, fit, materials, etc. As my specialty is the the US Navy version, I have never done any research on the British peacoat.

If you have any information, let us know.

Yes i went to an army and navy surplus store the other day and checked the label of the coat. It had a USN tag inside the coat. I tried a 36inch coat and on and it felt like it would be warm. But i was indoors so its hard to say for sure. But it wasnt issued as the coat pockets were sewn together. So i dont know who is supposed to wear them, and i dont understand why they dont sell genuine issued ones as it is called a surplus store afterall.

Funny you should mention Royal Navy peacoats. I dont know what the difference is. I only hear about US navy peacoats. I dont even know what company makes peacoats for the Royal navy, or what their coats look like. But i will search them when i have the desire to do so.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VictorC
Yes i went to an army and navy surplus store the other day and checked the label of the coat. It had a USN tag inside the coat. I tried a 36inch coat and on and it felt like it would be warm. But i was indoors so its hard to say for sure. But it wasnt issued as the coat pockets were sewn together. So i dont know who is supposed to wear them, and i dont understand why they dont sell genuine issued ones as it is called a surplus store afterall.

Funny you should mention Royal Navy peacoats. I dont know what the difference is. I only hear about US navy peacoats. I dont even know what company makes peacoats for the Royal navy, or what their coats look like. But i will search them when i have the desire to do so.

I doubt that an Army/Navy surplus store in London (or in this country either) would have a new US Navy peacoat. It could have been one of the phony tags like Patrick has, or it could have been a different version of a phony tag. Plus, I think you said it was less than 100% wool. That marks it as an impostor right up front.

Yes, if you get a chance to look into the Royal Navy peacoat, that would be an interesting topic.

jbharris88

Reaction score
FYI: I just received my Sterlingwear Authentic. I have real chest measurement of 35" and short arms. Ordered the 34S and it fits snuggly with sweater underneath, so the 2 down sizing seems spot on.

Highly recommend the company. Fast shipment. Great customer service.

5'6"
135 lbs.
Real Chest 35"
Waist size (in OTR terms) 28"
Arm length (in OTR terms) 30"
Ordered 34S. Perfect.

customj

Reaction score
thanks jbharris. I pretty much match your dimensions and haven't been able to figure out whether to order 34S or 34R. Can you specify how you measured the 30"?

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by customj
thanks jbharris. I pretty much match your dimensions and haven't been able to figure out whether to order 34S or 34R. Can you specify how you measured the 30"?

Just quoting arm length in terms of off-the-rack shirt style (15, 31/32 is typically how neck and arm length are quoted). Personally I have roughly 29.5" measurement quoted this way. Specifically 17" shoulder, and 22.5" sleeve are my MTM measurements. I am saying this coat with the Short model sleeve fits equivalent to OTR 30" measurement if it were a shirt.

intensanity

Reaction score
So I just got a M thinsulate JCrew peacoat, I LOVE it, but need accessories to go with it. Any opinions on the best accessories for pea coats? What do you guys use to keep your head warm?

Nogo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bapelolol
are 3B peacoats like 3B suit jackets? only button top buttons and don't button the bottom button?

From what I've read and seen, I believe you button all of it as it looks kinda funny without. So it's not like 3B suit jackets.

Originally Posted by intensanity
So I just got a M thinsulate JCrew peacoat, I LOVE it, but need accessories to go with it. Any opinions on the best accessories for pea coats? What do you guys use to keep your head warm?

If needed I usually wear a scarf and earmuffs.

nhatom

Reaction score
purchased a 22oz fidelity peacoat from blackbird using a coupon code that they had. really nice coat. you have to size up at least one size though.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like the consensus on sizing Sterlingwear peacoats is to size down two? Does this apply to the Navigator as well? What size would work for both Authentic and Navigator based on my measurements?

Measurements:
Chest: 39.5"
Sleeve: 18"
Body: 27-28"

5'8"
168 lbs

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads