• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AlexHffK

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have the typical questions about sizing. I have a pair of Olfe lasts in a 9.5 UK. they feel a bit long, width is just about right though, maybe just a touch too wide. Here are some pics:

I'd like to get a piar of Meermin's classic bluchers in a 9 UK next. I'm pretty torn on which style I'd prefer, so I will probably go with whichever last makes most sense for me. Do you think I'd be better off sizing down with the Hiro or Rui last?
How long in cm is your foot from heel to toe tip?
How long in cm is your foot from heel to ball?
How wide is your foot across the ball?

brightoner

Reaction score

How long in cm is your foot from heel to toe tip?
How long in cm is your foot from heel to ball?
How wide is your foot across the ball?

According to my measurements using a tape measure:

Heel to toe tip: 27cm
Heel to ball: 20cm
Width across ball:10cm

AlexHffK

Reaction score
According to my measurements using a tape measure:

Heel to toe tip: 27cm
Heel to ball: 20cm
Width across ball:10cm

Better ask Meermin by email, but with those measurements I would think that you are a 8.5 UK in Rui last. Do you feel like the Olfe fits as they should or could they be sized down half a size in length? I would have guessed you at a size 9 UK Olfe/Hiro with those measurements.

brightoner

Reaction score

Better ask Meermin by email, but with those measurements I would think that you are a 8.5 UK in Rui last. Do you feel like the Olfe fits as they should or could they be sized down half a size in length? I would have guessed you at a size 9 UK Olfe/Hiro with those measurements.

Thank you.

I think I *might* fit into a 9uk Olfe,but it would be quite snug. My main concern would be the width. I'm not getting any heal slipping in my 9.5 olfes, but the length of the shoe feels long.

I guess I'll send them an email.

tomrakewell

Reaction score

Hi everyone, I have the typical questions about sizing. I have a pair of Olfe lasts in a 9.5 UK. they feel a bit long, width is just about right though, maybe just a touch too wide. Here are some pics: I'd like to get a piar of Meermin's classic bluchers in a 9 UK next. I'm pretty torn on which style I'd prefer, so I will probably go with whichever last makes most sense for me. Do you think I'd be better off sizing down with the Hiro or Rui last?
Sorry to say, but they look way too big for you. I'd say at least half a size, but it might be a general problem with the last not being a good fit for your feet.

estranged

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have the typical questions about sizing. I have a pair of Olfe lasts in a 9.5 UK. they feel a bit long, width is just about right though, maybe just a touch too wide. Here are some pics:

I'd like to get a piar of Meermin's classic bluchers in a 9 UK next. I'm pretty torn on which style I'd prefer, so I will probably go with whichever last makes most sense for me. Do you think I'd be better off sizing down with the Hiro or Rui last?
I have Hiro, Olfe and Rui lasts. For sizing I'd say it's like this:

Length: Hiro = Olfe < Rui
Width: Hiro < Olfe < Rui

Looking at your pics I think Olfe or Hiro 8.5 or 9 would fit you. Rui is bigger, and I'd suggest sizing down if you go with it. My 9 Hiro is quite tight for me, while 9 Rui is too big.

Last edited:

brightoner

Reaction score
I have Hiro, Olfe and Rui lasts. For sizing I'd say it's like this:

Length: Hiro = Olfe < Rui
Width: Hiro < Olfe < Rui

Looking at your pics I think Olfe or Hiro 8.5 or 9 would fit you. Rui is bigger, and I'd suggest sizing down if you go with it. My 9 Hiro is quite tight for me, while 9 Rui is too big.

This is helpful, thanks. You're saying the Hiro is less wide than Olfe. I was always under the impression that the lasts in the picture below went from the most narrow (left) to the most wide (right). Your saying this is not necessarily the case?

I guess I need to decide whether I want to gamble on a 9 Hiro or an 8.5 Rui. Everyone here seems to be hinting at the latter.

estranged

Reaction score
This is helpful, thanks. You're saying the Hiro is less wide than Olfe. I was always under the impression that the lasts in the picture below went from the most narrow (left) to the most wide (right). Your saying this is not necessarily the case?

I guess I need to decide whether I want to gamble on a 9 Hiro or an 8.5 Rui. Everyone here seems to be hinting at the latter.
I found that picture misleading to be honest. I use it more to see the shape of the shoe rather than absolute size compared to other lasts. Here is my Hiro (left) vs Olfe (right) both size 9:

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meermin responded recommending a 9Uk based on my measurements...
FWIW, I do not have narrow feet and the lenght is 27.7cm with a mid/high instep so I wear 8.5/9 uk in most lasts/brands. For the Olfe last I take a 8.5uk size for Oxfords) and 9 uk size for a DM bootie to use them in winter time with thick shocks. Both fits are good (different shocks/models) but I prefer the snuger fit of my Oxfords all over the shoe.

From your pics It seems you are wearing thick shocks in summer time
smile.gif
. Bear that in mind. Hope it helps.

brightoner

Reaction score
Some more measurments from Meermin:

Quote:
So it sounds like given my
Quote:
I should be an 8.5 Rui and a 9 Hiro (or possibly an 8.5 Hiro, as Zapasman hinted at above)? Not sure why Meermin suggested a flat out 9UK, not even mentioning a last.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads