• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AlexHffK

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but for the first time I was at the right place at the right time, in time to get in on this MTO made available today by Meermin:

https://www.meermin.es/grupoMTO.php?idGrupo=369#

They sold out in no time, still cant believe I got an order in. My first Cordovan footwear too, will make sure to post pics when they arrive!
I just noticed that I missed out, no notification on Instagram this time :(
How long was the MTO up for?

hiver

Reaction score

I just noticed that I missed out, no notification on Instagram this time :(
How long was the MTO up for?

Not sure exactly, but a matter of 2-3 hours max. I had a feeling this was going to be popular so franticly placed an order during a phone meeting when I by chance saw the notification email come in...

bm93

Reaction score
I would have jumped on those shell shoes if they were on any last other than Hiro. Hiro doesn't seem to work on my foot for shoes, and it's mostly tight everywhere with a loose heel. I could probably get away with sizing up on boots since heel slip would be less of a concern, but I don't think sizing up with shoes would have worked.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just want to share my experience with one and a half year old Meermin boots.

I have bought these boots (crust calf) in November 2014. About 4 months ago I noticed a small crack on the uppers

and now it developed into a slightly bigger crack (definitely not a crease). It's still not a very big one but I'm afraid it will only get worse from now on. The crack developed in a creasing spot so it's not a random cut from hitting a sharp object or something. I only wear these boots during the colder season so they haven't really seen very much wear... When I first saw this crack they were less than 1 year old. I consider that I treat these shoes properly - don't wear them on consecutive days, use high quality polishing creme every 2-10 wears, use proper shoe trees, let them dry naturally etc. They've seen some snow, but were always thoroughly cleaned afterwards, so no salt stains or anything like that. Leather has not dried out. To me it seems that cracked uppers after one season is not a normal wear.

I've wrote an email to Meermin explaining the situation with pictures. They immediately promised to pass them on to quality control department. Some weeks later I received a reply saying that it's not a quality issue and that they cannot know how I wore and treated the boots. On one hand I can understand their point that it's only my word that I didn't neglect the boots, but as I wrote above since I consider that I treated them quite well I'm obviously left disappointed.

What do you guys think? Is this a quality issue? More importantly - are the shoes doomed? Is there any remedy at this point to at least stop the crack from becoming bigger? And should I invest in changing the soles when the time comes or just throw them away? BTW this is a rubber sole version but it wears much much more quicker than say Dainite so this time might come quite quickly.

Leather cutting didn't seem to place an optimal piece of leather for the vamp but creasing also seems like boots were too long from the microcreasing and crease on cap stitch. Conditioning every 2-10 wears seems to be quite a bit more than I would expect, was leather dry or why were you conditioning so much?

That said I wouldn't have expected the shoes to be cracking at such a short period of time but could be combination of poor leather mixed with not the best fit / too much care. But if it was just fit and shoe cream (like Saphir Pommadier, not wax or Renovateur) then it shouldn't have led to cracking. I wouldn't expect Meermin to fix / replace shoes but I wouldn't be happy with such wear if I was in your position.

Burnnots

Reaction score
Leather cutting didn't seem to place an optimal piece of leather for the vamp but creasing also seems like boots were too long from the microcreasing and crease on cap stitch. Conditioning every 2-10 wears seems to be quite a bit more than I would expect, was leather dry or why were you conditioning so much?

That said I wouldn't have expected the shoes to be cracking at such a short period of time but could be combination of poor leather mixed with not the best fit / too much care. But if it was just fit and shoe cream (like Saphir Pommadier, not wax or Renovateur) then it shouldn't have led to cracking. I wouldn't expect Meermin to fix / replace shoes but I wouldn't be happy with such wear if I was in your position.

The shoes are definitely not too long. The fit is actually quite good, so that's not the problem. I wear these shoes 2-3 times a week during the colder season and use shoe cream (not wax or renovateur) every 3-4 weeks just to keep them looking good. Sometimes more often when there is snow (every 1-2 weeks). The leather is not dry. Do you think that it's an overkill? From what I read here on styleforum it seems to be the norm. Is it even possible to make the leather crack by using shoe cream too often?
Thanks for the input!

Win545

Reaction score
The fancy suede oxford GMTO all failed, which is not so suprising, and meermin still continue to launch out boots GMTO. *sigh*

Last edited:

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at these 3 particular Balmoral boots models. I need advice on which pair would be there most versatile that I can pull off in a suit, or casually with jeans, chinos?

1/ DARK BROWN LAMA CALF

2/ OAK ANTIQUE & BROWN COUNTRY CALF

3/ OAK ANTIQUE CALF & BROWN SUEDE

urban

Reaction score
I have been thinking of getting #2 for some time; and I live in the tropics.

I have #3 in black calf and suede though.

Butterfeet

Reaction score
I have a pair of suede oxfords, which I've worn for about 2 months now. It made squeaky noises when I walked due to friction with the socks so I put some talc powder in the shoes and the noises disappeared. However recently there has been a different kind of squeaking -- it happens when the sole flxes, when you start to lift your foot off the ground and the heel moves first and the sole bends. I'm not sure if it's due to friction again but I could only pinpoint it to the moment when the sole flexes. Any ideas on how to fix this? Sending back to Meermin is not an option.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of suede oxfords, which I've worn for about 2 months now. It made squeaky noises when I walked due to friction with the socks so I put some talc powder in the shoes and the noises disappeared. However recently there has been a different kind of squeaking -- it happens when the sole flxes, when you start to lift your foot off the ground and the heel moves first and the sole bends. I'm not sure if it's due to friction again but I could only pinpoint it to the moment when the sole flexes. Any ideas on how to fix this? Sending back to Meermin is not an option.

Sounds like a loose shank and youll need to take it to a shoe repair shop. Could always lift the insole and put powder in there to make sure its not moisture though before you go to the cobblers.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^I agree. This happened to me and took it know a great shoe repair shop. No more noise and the guy who repaired everything secured the shank in place so it will not loosen up in the future. I think I posted photos in this thread some time ago...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads