• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can't actually be serious. You're unfavourably comparing your new meermins to a pair of Vass? Not only are Vass not in the same league, they're not on the same planet. It's like comparing the Gronk to a college tight end. It wouldn't even work to compare him to another TE in the NFL.

Like I said, other manufacturers from the same price range as Meermin do get things like stiffeners, soles and lasts right, so those are not exclusive to expensive shoes.
I could have compared the shoe to a pair of Loakes I own, but to me it does not make a lot of sense comparing a pair of loafers with a pair of oxfords and the Vass are the only pair of cap toe oxfords I possess.
Needless to say, the Loakes beat the Meermins hands down.

Last edited:

pine tree

Reaction score

You can't actually be serious. You're unfavourably comparing your new meermins to a pair of Vass? Not only are Vass not in the same league, they're not on the same planet. It's like comparing the Gronk to a college tight end. It wouldn't even work to compare him to another TE in the NFL.
It would have more weight if he had added the price paid.

tbrock

Reaction score
Loake is just about a fair comparison, if they were on sale, same for Herring on sale. But both their top lines are a third the price again and made entirely in England. Vass is FIVE times the price without any hyperbole. Not sure why a Vass customer would even give Meermin a second look, in the same way that I wouldn't even consider anything non-Goodyear.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Loake is just about a fair comparison, if they were on sale, same for Herring on sale. But both their top lines are a third the price again and made entirely in England. Vass is FIVE times the price without any hyperbole. Not sure why a Vass customer would even give Meermin a second look, in the same way that I wouldn't even consider anything non-Goodyear.

Vass does not cost 800€ a pair.
Loake does a lot of things right, which is why they can be sure of business from my side.
There are quality shoes that aren't goodyear welted.

tbrock

Reaction score
They can cost up to that. But my point stands, four times the price then. That is hardly like for like. They are also handwelted. I'm aware there are quality shoes that are not Goodyear welter. However, in the price range we are discussing, there are not.

Suetonius

Reaction score
Itching for a new pair of brown dress shoes that I can wear with both blue/light grey/subtly patterned suits as well as with dark jeans in the evening/weekends.

Meermin's dark brown double monks (pictured below) seem to fit the bill nicely, but I'm still tempted by their burgundy edition. My concern is I'm not overly keen on really red looking shoes, and that they'd not go well with the suits mentioned above. Does anyone have burgundy shoes (double monks in particular) from Meermin that you can share photos of? Can the redness of the burgundy be conditioned out and the shoe be made to look slightly darker?

Comments on these shoes would be appreciated!

AQstar

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just received a pair of Black Wholecut Meermin shoes in the classic range. They look amazing overall however I noticed a crack in the outer sole of the right shoe. Will this impact the shoe in the long run other than aesthetics and is it worth the hassle returning them for a new one?

Thanks in advance

riton

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with Zapasman, I don't know why but I have it on all my dress shoes, be it Meermin, Carmina, Septieme Largeur or Markowski...

AlexHffK

Reaction score
It can be done in a more subtle way reference my Loake below but this is purely esthetic.
My Shell Meermin welt looks like yours.

Also Reference YouTube watch?v=yhGNHcwO9zI "Welt Sewing" at 2:00 - 2:06 to understand what causes this.

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received my GMTO sleek chelsea suede boots. They are nice but how come there is a paint smell?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads