• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clark

Reaction score
First pair of double monks:

jairjoash

Reaction score
Are the pics you took of the museum calf in green? They look black in that pic and not museum but plain calf as well. I have only bought one pair of shoes from Meermin and it was in a lighter colour, and when they arrived I noticed that they didn't appear to be like they were in the pics on the website. Now I understand that under professional lighting and photography they will look different, but in the case of your shoes, they don't even look green. They obviously are green though which is obvious from some of the other pics you posted earlier. However, it would be nice if the colours depicted on the website were a bit more accurate of how they looked in real life.
hey there! you can probably see the green museum calf only from 2,3 inches away and under sunlight. the differences are vast.I can still see the museum calf, but only if i squint. Did anyone here get the same pair? I am still awaiting their reply and will update you guys. the plum museum calf came slightly dark but they have grown on me and are my favourite pair now.

JustABuyer

Reaction score
hey there! you can probably see the green museum calf only from 2,3 inches away and under sunlight. the differences are vast.I can still see the museum calf, but only if i squint. Did anyone here get the same pair? I am still awaiting their reply and will update you guys. the plum museum calf came slightly dark but they have grown on me and are my favourite pair now.
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/h.../e35/11910137_577826732356537_767201856_n.jpg

Do your shoes look anything like this? contemplating getting a pair of plum museum DM from Meermin if they ever come out in a rounder last after seeing this picture.

The previous posts from plum museum users are not too encouraging tho.

Last edited:

jairjoash

Reaction score

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You can try stripping if you wish, but, overall, cognac colors sucks. 

I'm curious, why do you say this? I ask because I don't yet own anything in cognac but it pulls at me every time I see it. If there's a good reason I can put my nagging inner-self to bed without wasting money in the process, I'm all for it.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
Hi there. Most of my nice dress shoes are Allen Edmonds so I'm new to Meermin. I live in the US so I'd be ordering without a fitting so would like to get it right if possible. I'm sure in the 900+ pages here there's been several sizing answers and don't want to repeat what's already been asked so what's a good way to learn a little more about the brand besides there website and reading 900 pages?

In the AE 65 last I wear 7.5EE (US) and in the AE 511 last I wear 8E (US). My TTS on the Brannock is 8E. What would be the equivalent in the Hiro last from Meermin? I'm looking at a cap-toe bal.

Thank you.

Stigland

Reaction score
HI all,

I just recieved a pair of Elton dark brown double monk straps.

I find them waaaaay to red-ish and light in colour. I'm thinking of either recolouring them completely or heavily polish them with black saphir pommadier to darken the hue. Does anyone have any tips or experience with recolouring Meermin?

I know this should probably go in the shoe care thread but it looked pretty dead and I figured that I'm talking about a pair of Meermin after all.

Please feel free to scold me if this transgression is unacceptable.

jfo2010

Reaction score
Anyone know if the heel height on the oxfords is the same as their loafers? I find the height of the loafer heel to high for my taste. Of course I learned this the hard way. I'm trying to find a black stitch captoe. Thanks!

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys! It's my first time on this forum and I need some help. I ordered two belts and a pair of racing green austerity brogues. Firstly, one of the belts came in the wrong size whilst the shoes were kinda dirty. The metal toecap has rust on it and there were brown stains and a chip on the shoe. I'm fairly new to the shoe world so any advice would be greatly appreciated. It seems that the cs at meermin replies fast only to orders or payment. I have emailed them a couple of times to no reply. Help?
The toe taps are a non-issue, you'll wear whatever discoloration there is off almost immediately if wearing on concrete. The blemishes in the uppers would annoy me, but they should also be easy to touch up with a little neutral cream and brushing, and if not a little of the dark green saphir cream would definitely take care of fixing the color. They shouldn't have left Meermin in that condition, but that's a 5 minute fix polishing them yourself. As they'll already have to replace the belt, you might ask that they hook up some green polish rather than shipping the shoes back and forth.
@esoxm @oxfordsandties thank you guys for the replies. the shoes came in a very dark green-almost black if not under sunlight. Not what the pictures depicted. It also feels and looks like a cheap pair. @oxfordsandties as annoyed as i am , wouldn't that seem a little over the top? Has this happened to you before? @esoxm As a broke college student, i had to save up for quite a while for these. Yeah i could probably do that but why is the difference in colour so substantial? Could this be a manufacturing defect or? pics attached .do let me know your thoughts:)
greetings from singapore:)
The stains seem to be the leather stretched out when lasting and lightened a bit? Not sure where Meermin sources the museum calf but in general museum calf is a bit thinner and more prone to these. Also a bit more "cheap" feeling like you mentioned. (Outside of Lobb, you can find people complaining about this in Carmina / Vass threads as well). Like others mentioned a bit of polish would fix most of the issues. For the top taps is it polish from the paint used on soles? I've gotten toe taps that were discolored from other makers as they coated the sole again after taps were installed. Welt closing on side is standard for shoes in the price range, not sure what you expect. At least it's clean and not sloppy like Alden. Personally for me the hassle and wait to get a new pair with chance of other defects is not worth it. Color wise Meermin's photo was is direct, bright sunlight. Do you have any photos of shoes in direct sunlight? From personal experience with green shoes, most shoes will appear quite dark indoors with green coming out in sunlight. For example here is Vass green musuem indoors with sunlight, quite dark and would be black if taken with the lighting in your photo:
In direct / bright sunlight (photo was edited to remove yellow / orange sunlight tint):
Colors a bit closer compared to what Meermin showed but still within the description of green museum for me. Sorry for the long post, just feel your expectations are a bit high for what you expect. Ordering GMTO shoes off internet will also have some risk as you can't handle swatch of leather before hand nor see color in person. Belts are an issue of course and that should be resolved.

Last edited:

aussieguy

Reaction score
For example here is Vass green musuem indoors with sunlight, quite dark and would be black if taken with the lighting in your photo:

In direct / bright sunlight (photo was edited to remove yellow / orange sunlight tint):

Colors a bit closer compared to what Meermin showed but still within the description of green museum for me. Sorry for the long post, just feel your expectations are a bit high for what you expect. Ordering GMTO shoes off internet will also have some risk as you can't handle swatch of leather before hand nor see color in person. Belts are an issue of course and that should be resolved.

Those shoes look pretty good in direct sunlight, they don't even look green museum, more of a multi coloured museum. I don't think I could pull those off though. I agree with what you said about buying through a GMTO online and the risks associated with such a purchase. I recently ordered a pair through Meermin's GMTO and I have no idea what they will look like when they arrive, but I guess that's part of the fun and anticipation. If only these shoes were cheaper though, I'd be ordering a lot more pairs.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm curious, why do you say this? I ask because I don't yet own anything in cognac but it pulls at me every time I see it. If there's a good reason I can put my nagging inner-self to bed without wasting money in the process, I'm all for it.

is prone to spotting if wet

I hadn't thought of that but could see where it's more relevant on lighter colors; noted.

The color is sick and pale ... hard to keep in original condition, and if it is indeed easy to keep as original condition, it was coated with acrylic coatings. It is also extremely hard to get a good shine on, and most of the time, it only serves as a base shoe for you to play with dyes and darker finishes on it. 

Hmmm, food for thought. That color still pulls at me though. One additional note from me is that in recent years I've gotten a better eye at determining what I like because looks good in pictures versus what I would actually wear. I see a lot of cognac or lighter shoes that make for great photos but I question whether I would actually wear them myself... Ogle and buy them, yes; wear them - still not so sure...

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hadn't thought of that but could see where it's more relevant on lighter colors; noted.
Hmmm, food for thought. That color still pulls at me though. One additional note from me is that in recent years I've gotten a better eye at determining what I like because looks good in pictures versus what I would actually wear. I see a lot of cognac or lighter shoes that make for great photos but I question whether I would actually wear them myself... Ogle and buy them, yes; wear them - still not so sure...

You know what's prone to spotting when it gets wet? Every leather shoe. Lighter shoes probably show it better though than darker ones. There's nothing wrong with cognac, but it's one of those colors that each maker characterizes differently, especially in shell. Walnut has gained a lot of popularity in the last few years but IMO that's too light to wear with most suits. I think cognac falls into a range of brown that's dark enough to be on the conservative side when paired right.

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my first and so far my only pair of Meermin Oxfords earlier this year. The first thing that I noticed was that the colour was somewhat different to what I was expecting from their website pictures. This was nothing significant since this is often the case with buying things online. The second thing that I noticed was that the leather was much different to the shoes that I usually purchase.

I live in Australia and so have previously mainly bought Aquila shoes, which is an Australian shoe company. Some of their stuff is made in Italy, while some are made elsewhere, possibly China. In my research on shoes I read that Aquila are generally considered by shoe snobs to be not in the same league as better shoe manufacturers, somewhat of a pleb shoe maker for the masses that don't know or care about footwear. So after reading and talking to people I found out that Meermin might be a good place for me to start, since other manufacturers are much more expensive.

I own several pairs of Aquila shoes but have only one pair of Meermin shoes. I have noticed that the Meermin leather is a fair bit thicker than the Aquila leather. However, the Meermin leather seems like leather that I have noticed on cheaper shoes that I have seen in stores. Now it could be me, but I have noticed similar leather in shoes that are less than $100 a pair. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but there is a stiffness to it and it almost looks like it's plastic, and there is no shine to it at all.

When I polish my Aquila shoes I can get a decent shine out of them and they seem to absorb the polish differently. With my pair of Meermin shoes, they seem to soak up the polish or the crème but exhibit very little shine. Looking at the grain I can see the grain more clearly in the Meermin, which just makes them look too plastic to me. I can only imagine how plastic and fake looking pebbled leather might appear to be.

In saying that though, I am going to buy another pair of Meermin shoes because I have noticed that Aquila have in the last one and a half to two years increased their prices significantly without any noticeable difference in quality. The good thing about buying from Aquila for me is that I get free shipping and free returns. This way I can buy a few different pairs and in different sizes if I wish, and then return any that I don't want and get a refund. With Meermin, the shipping is 35 Euro and any returns are at my expense, not to mention that they seem to take a fair while to ship out the shoe.

I have considered other shoe makes but the prices are so high that I am scared of purchasing without seeing them in the leather as well as not trying them on first. Even looking at prices on the Carmina I was shocked.

Is the calf leather that Meermin use typical of mid range shoe manufacturers? I've attached a pic of an Aquila shoe. Notice how the grain looks different as well the shine compared to Meermin shoes. I have noticed though that due to Meermin leather being thicker, it doesn't seem to scuff as easily compared to my Aquila ones.

Do Aquila shoes use CG leather? It could explain why you're finding Aquila to be much easier to shine than your Meermin pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads