• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does this "goodyearshoes" seller on eBay ships using FedEx or Regular Post? FedEx/UPS is a deal breaker for me.

I just yesterday received a pair of Jersey-lasted Black Chukkas from this user - he ships via DHL. Was a fantastically easy process.

EDIT: Bought the shoes on a whim, and just now have gone back in the thread reading about the schill-bidding suspicions. Got the chukkas for $80, so not particularly concerned. No noticeable flaws on these.

EDIT 2: Reading further back - Should I be expecting a US Customs bill in the mail soon?

Last edited:

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like others have said, you don't really save that much if any at all, when purchasing for popular sizes / makeups via Ebay.

You probably need to pay about 80% of the retail value for second quality and DHL fees are higher than Fedex fees (the shipping choice of Meermin retail).

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Like others have said, you don't really save that much if any at all, when purchasing for popular sizes / makeups via Ebay. 

You probably need to pay about 80% of the retail value for second quality and DHL fees are higher than Fedex fees (the shipping choice of Meermin retail).  

The shoes were $80, not $200.

MrTopCat

Reaction score
Does this "goodyearshoes" seller on eBay ships using FedEx or Regular Post? FedEx/UPS is a deal breaker for me.

They used a Spanish courier service for me called "Correos".

I live in the UK though, so it might vary if you're not covered by their services.

I paid around 140 Euros for shoes that were originally 260 Euros on the site. They had been removed from the Meermin site long before I got them on eBay, so I probably would've paid around 200 Euros as my max bid if I had to.

It's great if you can find shoes no longer available on the site or finished MTO shoes, and for people inside Europe/EU the shipping prices are pretty much the same as Meermin's shipping.

Though I would not pay 80% of the retail value for shoes with defects which I could get via the Meermin site, it just does not make sense, and I see it happen quite often.

sarteaga

Reaction score
I just yesterday received a pair of Jersey-lasted Black Chukkas from this user - he ships via DHL. Was a fantastically easy process.

EDIT: Bought the shoes on a whim, and just now have gone back in the thread reading about the schill-bidding suspicions. Got the chukkas for $80, so not particularly concerned. No noticeable flaws on these.

EDIT 2: Reading further back - Should I be expecting a US Customs bill in the mail soon?

I was not hit with custom fees when I purchased my seconds from eBay through the same seller.

Contango

Reaction score
I've put a number of bids in but never purchased, so I wouldn't read too much into the bids - after all they're seconds from an eBay seller without any options (e.g. buying a matching belt or getting steel toe taps installed), plus shipping is expensive for me from this guy, so there's no way I'd bid anywhere near the as-new price from Meermin, especially as they're potentially not the exact same pair I'm interested in from Meermin's website.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks so much! Re upping the slush fund as we speak!

I have both Rain and Hiro in 9.5UK and I think the fit is very similar. These boots were originally my design, and they built in a bit of extra room in the last to account for the shearling. I would go with the same size as your Rain with no hesitation.

Best, DL

Hi all,

I'm strongly considering those Meermin Galway boots but have concerns about sizing. The Carmina Rain last fits me really nicely at UK 7, but don't know how the Hiro last fits. Any advice? Meermin seems not to respond to emails...thanks!

As a counter I take 9.5UK in rain (9 would work if instep / middle of shoe was a bit larger). I have Hiro in 9.5 and 10. 9.5 is snug to point I probably should sell, 10 is still snug on instep and width. That said I have wider foot but I wouldn't say lasts are too comparable. Something like forest or Robert would be closer to Hiro for me.

tanbar

Reaction score
As a counter I take 9.5UK in rain (9 would work if instep / middle of shoe was a bit larger). I have Hiro in 9.5 and 10. 9.5 is snug to point I probably should sell, 10 is still snug on instep and width. That said I have wider foot but I wouldn't say lasts are too comparable. Something like forest or Robert would be closer to Hiro for me.

What size do you take in Forest/Robert, also any experience with Oscar and Detroit? Sounds like we're the same size and trying to figure out my sizing for other lasts.

rwtc

Reaction score
I also have Hiro and Rain shoes and also in 9.5UK. I would agree with David that the two last fit similarly, however one word of caution is that Hiro lasted boots are not the same as Hiro lasted shoes, i think same holds true for Rain (however I only tried Rain lasted boots and don't actually own a pair). Also in my limited experience Hiro lasted shoes are a tiny bit lower in the in-step, but nothing that warrants sizing up and is not noticeable after the break-in period.

Do Hiro lasted boots fit a little bigger or a little snugger?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What size do you take in Forest/Robert, also any experience with Oscar and Detroit?  Sounds like we're the same size and trying to figure out my sizing for other lasts.

Forest shoe is 9.5 though a bit snug on width. I have jumper boots in 10 for Oscar and Forest. Both a bit long but I don't think 9.5 Oscar with fit instep. Detroit is 9.5 as well as though 9 almost works. Carmina just doesn't fit as well as I would like so I don't really order anything from them much anymore

tanbar

Reaction score
Forest shoe is 9.5 though a bit snug on width. I have jumper boots in 10 for Oscar and Forest. Both a bit long but I don't think 9.5 Oscar with fit instep. Detroit is 9.5 as well as though 9 almost works. Carmina just doesn't fit as well as I would like so I don't really order anything from them much anymore

Thanks, ordering a pair of Forest lasted boots and went with a 9.5EE, but trying to decide if I should go with 10E. Guessing they'd fit about the same though. Were your 9.5 Forest shoes E or EE? Find that 10 for Hiro boots works perfectly for me.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, ordering a pair of Forest lasted boots and went with a 9.5EE, but trying to decide if I should go with 10E.  Guessing they'd fit about the same though.  Were your 9.5 Forest shoes E or EE?  Find that 10 for Hiro boots works perfectly for me.

I've had Forest shoes in 9.5E and boots in 9.5EE. Shoes were a softer calfskin so wasn't bad, boots were cordovan jumpers. Honestly did not really feel any difference between the 9.5EE jumper and 10E jumper and they looks identical

dvskei

Reaction score
why dont they just set a reserve price

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads