• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glue stains inside my pair (taken care of with Goo Gone) and the toe of one shoe almost looks like plain calf instead of grain. I will definitely be contacting Meermin.

Are the half insoles sewn in? Whatever the piece that is used to cushion the heel feels misplaced, like it doesn't lay flat under my heel.

I will post pics tomorrow.

Last edited:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Glue stains inside my pair (taken care of with Goo Gone) and the toe of one shoe almost looks like plain calf instead of grain. I will definitely be contacting Meermin.

Are the half insoles sewn in? Whatever the piece that is used to cushion the heel feels misplaced, like it doesn't lay flat under my heel.

Man, how difficult can be to inspect 25 pairs of shoes before shipping them out? It's not like they were under hard deadline to finish or ship them.
I am sorry man please post pictures. I have yet to receive my pair.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, just got mine. It's actually pretty nice. To be honest, I think the reverse galways is actually the best looking yet. Of course, I may be biased but the lighter brown grain upper and the darker brown calf shaft matches the dark oak and walnut cc galway colors that people were originally trying to mimic. It's not bad for around 40% of the price of the real deal but no one will mistake it for an 82 galway, this thing is chunky and casual and won't pass for a dress boot. However, I think a more fair comparison is with the 64 Galway, of which I have no basis for comparison. I'm really liking these.

Last edited:

copperback

Reaction score

I got the reverse Galways and the captoe on both pairs don't really have any visible grain - I think Meermin might have applied a thick layer of wax/cream over the toe since it's a slightly darker shade of brown than the rest of the lower.

The half insoles on mine have the same problem, it got pretty uncomfortable after walking for ~15 minutes in them. I'll see how it goes the next time I wear them out.

2 more pictures here.

Last edited:

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got the reverse Galways and the captoe on both pairs don't really have any visible grain - I think Meermin might have applied a thick layer of wax/cream over the toe since it's a slightly darker shade of brown than the rest of the lower. The half insoles on mine have the same problem, it got pretty uncomfortable after walking for ~15 minutes in them. I'll see how it goes the next time I wear them out.
[COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR] 2 more pictures here .
They definitely put too much wax on the toe but you can easily take that off with renovateur. I'm not sure about the insole problem though. I haven't walked in them but they didn't feel uncomfortable at all. Sorry it's not working for you.

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or it could be just the lasting which stretched out the leather so much that the grain disappeared?

striker

Reaction score
That is quite common amongst other makers too. Tight to the toe is the way the last should be pulled over at the toes. If you use a cleaner or renovateur to remove the wax and it remains smooth, then that is the way the shoemaker intended it to be.

On a positive note, the slightly smoother surface takes a better burnishing at the toes, if that is your preference.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish it was just wax, it appears the lasting took out the grain. I would be fine if it was both boots.

riton

Reaction score
I wish it was just wax, it appears the lasting took out the grain. I would be fine if it was both boots.

What's striking me the most except the grain is the different color. But the latter is easier fixed than the former.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think mine turned out pretty well. Probably going to get rid of them though so you'll see it on the BS soon enough. Just have enough galways for now.

Reverse Meermin Galway

Edward Green vs Meermin

Engi

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm looking for your help about last sizing.

In particular I've a pair of Meermin Oxfords 101198 based on the Hiro last, in size 8UK: the length of the shoes is ok for me but they are tight for me at the toe level (also toe box is limited) and I had to stretch them before using.

Now I would like to go for a pair of their 101490 based on the Park last; they recommend to go with the same size as per the Hiro last.

What do you suggest to me for the 101490 shoes based on the Park last: to go with size 8UK and in case to stretch them (is it possible with this last shape ??) or to go with size 8.5UK, but taking into account that the length 8UK for me is ok with Meermin oxfords shoes 101198 (I would like to avoid to buy shoes longer than necessary ...) ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Engi

NewYawker

Reaction score
@Ironist - Wow, those came out fantastic! Its a shame meermin can not seem to be more consistent. Im sure someone will gladly pick those up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads