• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
I am considered the Black Calf Wholecute on the Ama last, model 101332. I am normally a 10.5 on Allen Edmonds 5 (65) last, should I get the same US equivalent in UK sizing? Or should I get UK 10 = US 11? Does anyone have any experience with their black wholecuts?

leetpuma

Reaction score
I am considered the Black Calf Wholecute on the Ama last, model 101332. I am normally a 10.5 on Allen Edmonds 5 (65) last, should I get the same US equivalent in UK sizing? Or should I get UK 10 = US 11? Does anyone have any experience with their black wholecuts?
You will likely be
10.5AE 5-Last = 9.5UK-HIRO-OLFE-AMA
This is just an apxomate. Depending on ifn you have an B/C/D/E width foot you can get differnet things.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Quote:
I am probably a standard D width, but I heard that meermin is pretty narrow so I was wondering if I should size up in the Ama last

leetpuma

Reaction score
Quote: If you look at post history you will see around 40ish AE and Meermin users that go that:
AE5-SIZE - 1 = UKOLFE/HIRO-SIZE

A few people that this did not work for generally had an D+/E width foot and just didn't realize it. For those the formula is:
AE5-SIZE - 0.5 = UKOLFE/HIRO-SIZE

Last edited:

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people look down on this approach and there is room for error of course but for me personally I think its a handy comparison that hasn't steered me wrong yet and that's to ask meermin (or whoever) for the outer sole measurements of the shoe in question (length, utmost width), get the measurements for the possible sizes you might fit eg -1 or -.05 and then compare those measurements against the measurements of your shoes that fit well.

Worst case scenario it has a reasonable probability of helping to make sure you don't buy a pair that are too small. If im unsure of size id rather have a lil extra room and be able to add inner soles or heel stops than be left with a pair that are too small.

Agrajag

Reaction score
About 4 months ago, I ordered a pair of snuff chelsea boots on the hiro last in size 7, but the instep was much too high for me, and I had to return them.

I ordered a these on the olfe last instead, but after waiting for two months, I wanted a pair of summer shoes instead. Luckily (I thought) they had one pair of last years suede derbies (hiro) left in size 6,5 and changed my order. I got them today, but they are simply too small. I have to curl my toes to get a fit.

It seems like Hiro is not the last for me...

As I don't want to wait another 6 weeks for them to pick up my return from the post office, I thought I'd check if anyone here is interested:

Shoes: 120€ + shipping from Norway.

Optional:
Belt: 35€ (34")
Trees: 35€

PM if you are interested.

leetpuma

Reaction score
Some people look down on this approach and there is room for error of course but for me personally I think its a handy comparison that hasn't steered me wrong yet and that's to ask meermin (or whoever) for the outer sole measurements of the shoe in question (length, utmost width), get the measurements for the possible sizes you might fit eg -1 or -.05 and then compare those measurements against the measurements of your shoes that fit well.

Worst case scenario it has a reasonable probability of helping to make sure you don't buy a pair that are too small. If im unsure of size id rather have a lil extra room and be able to add inner soles or heel stops than be left with a pair that are too small.

This an great wat to gauge sizes. If anyone is interested getting last sizes you should look though my prevous posts on this form

Think i had 7 to 8.5 Olfe sizes there

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About 4 months ago, I ordered a pair of snuff chelsea boots on the hiro last in size 7, but the instep was much too high for me, and I had to return them.
I have a pair of Hiros and find the instep insanely higher, despite never feeling this on any of my other shoes. Is the consensus that they have very high arches? Or did perhaps I simply get a pair with poor QC, because I only really feel it in my left foot.

ktown

Reaction score
I have a pair of Hiro double monks and the instep is indeed high. I have to strap them up at the tightest hole (3rd hole) and I still get heel slip.

Agrajag

Reaction score
I have a pair of Hiros and find the instep insanely higher, despite never feeling this on any of my other shoes. Is the consensus that they have very high arches? Or did perhaps I simply get a pair with poor QC, because I only really feel it in my left foot.

On the chelsea boots, the instep felt "insanely" high, as I could move my feet up and down without moving the shoe. They were also ridiculously wide throughout my ankles, as I could fit my hand in the boot without stretching the elastics at all.

The derbies aren't that bad, but they are half a size smaller, and too short for me.

I have a pair of boots on the Rui last as well, and I can't lace them properly without insoles and thick socks.

Shame, as I really like all three pairs. Does anyone know if the the instep on the olfe shoes are significantly lower?

ktown

Reaction score
I have some Olfe oxfords and they are very comfortable. They feel like a normal width shoe. I can't close up the laces all the way so I would say they are normal instep. They fit similarly to my AE Park Ave's (now sold).

leetpuma

Reaction score
Shame, as I really like all three pairs. Does anyone know if the the instep on the olfe shoes are significantly lower?
They are average. Fit much like an AE5 last instep but have a better grippy feel to me. So less heel slip.

HIRO is made high on purpose.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads