• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

leetpuma

Reaction score
Does anyone have an easy way to stretch out a shoe a little bit? After wearing my new pair for a day, I am wishing I had gone up a half size. Just need a smidge more room around the outside edge of my toes. Will a couple of more days wear and shoe trees help? Any ideas are welcome.

Oh and I also want to say the putting somthing on your shoe trees and letting it sit will probably not help.

Becasue
1) You are probably not going to get enough force exherted by the shoe tree spring to cause streching.
2) If you are looking for strech at the toes most shoe trees do not go far enough into the shoe to do this. (That is why a rounded shaft may work best.)

coppersuede

Reaction score

Just as a heads up, Sandro is XX, not XY.

peepwall%5B1%5D.gif

Sandro is XY (if XY = man), at least he was last week when I met him, a great guy. I am going to make a post about the visit and share with everyone as soon as I have the time. :worship:

snowboardpunk

Reaction score
Damn this buckle business is ******. So I went to a watch repair place and got the pin. But when I put it in, I didn't know the pin was suppose to go inside the hook. So I tried taking it out and now my the stretchy part is fringed and the hook is not on the pin and I still don't have a pair of functional double monks...

leetpuma

Reaction score

And Sandro still hasn't replied
Looks like you have the best case resolution... (Ask if sandro will refund the 5$ you spent in the watch shop or something)

If he was able to get your pin back in you are in luck. So now just go back to him and make sure you try them on IN THE WATCH SHOP so you don't mess up the orientation. Setting a pin is child's play so he will likely just redo it for you.

Truly I am not even too mad at meermin about this one. Its nice that they have replaceable pins on buckles. But the ****** trade-off is replaceable == possible to remove == possible to pop off.

Anyhow the best of luck on this its always ****** when things like this happen.

BTW it also looks like you put the buckle on upside down. The curve of the metal looks wrong. Aleast in that photo.

Also there are others that sell these types of buckels if you ever want to change the look.
https://www.etsy.com/market/small_buckle
http://wlhardware.en.alibaba.com/pr...Widely_used_metal_small_pin_shoe_buckles.html
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Crafts-/14339/i.html?_from=R40&_sac=1&_nkw=small+buckle&LH_PrefLoc=3

Last edited:

p.henrik

Reaction score

Also is that tube the buckle pin is going though not made of leather? It looks like velcro or something?

Is this an classic line shoe?

I think Velcro is standard, as you want some stretch to make sure the buckles closes tight. At least my old loake single monks have it too.

sarteaga

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
First of all let me apologize for the delay in the Austerity Brogue MTO. This is partly my fault, even with waiting for Pepe to respond to emails. In short, things have been a little crazy and exciting in life and that has overtaken everything right now. My wife and I are expecting are our first child and in the process we had a couple of scares with the ultrasounds and in short that became my priority. The baby is thankfully okay, as we just got back all the results today. In addition to this, it's the end of the school year and things are in short hectic. I don't mind pausing the MTO and resuming this after June when I know I'll have time to oversee this.

Again, my apologies to all of you! This is also my reasons for the absence from SF. If any of you want to take over the GMTO please let me know, as we can expedite this if I'm not doing it.

Best,
Sergio

leetpuma

Reaction score
I think Velcro is standard, as you want some stretch to make sure the buckles closes tight. At least my old loake single monks have it too.
Interesting I have never had a pair of buckle shoes so I had no idea that Velcro was common.

Bureaucrat

Reaction score
I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on the new green crust calfs (http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=4383#). I already own a pair from Meermin on the Hiro last and just thought I should double check that the Rui last is smaller than the Hiro, so it is recommended to size up? Resulting in if I wear a 7½ in the Hiro I should consider purchasing a size 8 in the Rui last?

Familiar with the their production schedule, thought I should get a new pair of shoes for next fall.
biggrin.gif

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on the new green crust calfs (http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=4383#). I already own a pair from Meermin on the Hiro last and just thought I should double check that the Rui last is smaller than the Hiro, so it is recommended to size up? Resulting in if I wear a 7½ in the Hiro I should consider purchasing a size 8 in the Rui last?

Familiar with the their production schedule, thought I should get a new pair of shoes for next fall.
biggrin.gif

Man the Green crust is definitely the best offering.

What are you thinking of pairing it with?

I'm thinking blues and browns, I think anything too light might be garish. Maybe charcoal?

Bureaucrat

Reaction score
Man the Green crust is definitely the best offering.

What are you thinking of pairing it with?

I'm thinking blues and browns, I think anything too light might be garish. Maybe charcoal?
I agree, the green is hands down the best of the bunch. They are just dark enough to raise my interest, anything slightly lighter and brighter would turn me away.

I was also thinking blue would quite possibly be the best color to pair them with, a few different shades of brown might work too. I'm torn between if they work with light brown bottoms, guess I'll have to wait and see exactly what kind of shade of green they are.

IMO charcoal could work, but it would be much harder to pair them with the right shade.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads