• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Claus

Reaction score

Lol just my feeling from what have seen happen to people on this thread in the past. I am not presumptuous enough to say it wont work but I have seen some seriously faulty brannock devices in my time. They almost never really scale to an dress shoe size.

Na, no problem. :)

Glad I could you help you getting started. You spend a lot of thought about making your decision, and I respect that.

I also respect rq when he says "I will err on the opposite side of caution." because "I generally like their price point (even with shipping) and style."

When someone understands the risks and disadvantages of something and still deliberately decides to do it, this is okay with me. But one should know, in my opinion, what the possible risks and disadvantages are. This is what I tried to tell you and rq.

If one knows what one's doing shoe sizing becomes rather simple, I believe. The majority of cases can then probably accounted for by the super simple formula:

Code:
 Absolute last volume = absolute foot volume

The trick is to get a sufficiently large sample to estimate these values with some degree of confidence.

And for the record, I agree with you that Brannock confuses people, and is almost useless.

Last edited:

Agrajag

Reaction score
I received my snuff suede chelsea (hiro) boots today, and I must say the color is lovely. Unfortunately, the fit is not that good.

I bought the country calf boots (rui) in size 7,5 and while they are definitely too big, they work quite well as winter boots. I don't mind thick socks and insoles as Norway has cold winters, and I have a tendency to get cold feet inside as well.

I sized down to 7 for the chelseas, as I intended them to be more of a spring/fall pair. Although they have rubber soles, they will probably not be able to handle too much snow and slush. They fit well in the toe box, but are to wide everywhere else. It doesn't help that I have to slimmest ankles known to man (at the very least on a man). With laces I can overcome this "condition", but I can probably put my hand in these without pulling the elastics at all. I will have to send them back.

I would definitely need a last with a lower instep. Have I understood the gentlemen here correctly if I presume the Olfe (and perhaps even new rey) would provide a better fit? How much more narrow are these at the toes?

p.henrik

Reaction score

I received my snuff suede chelsea (hiro) boots today, and I must say the color is lovely. Unfortunately, the fit is not that good.

I bought the country calf boots (rui) in size 7,5 and while they are definitely too big, they work quite well as winter boots. I don't mind thick socks and insoles as Norway has cold winters, and I have a tendency to get cold feet inside as well. 

I sized down to 7 for the chelseas, as I intended them to be more of a spring/fall pair. Although they have rubber soles, they will probably not be able to handle too much snow and slush. They fit well in the toe box, but are to wide everywhere else. It doesn't help that I have to slimmest ankles known to man (at the very least on a man). With laces I can overcome this "condition", but I can probably put my hand in these without pulling the elastics at all. I will have to send them back.

I would definitely need a last with a lower instep. Have I understood the gentlemen here correctly if I presume the Olfe (and perhaps even new rey) would provide a better fit? How much more narrow are these at the toes?

New Rey is definitely slimmer (caveating I haven't tried the Hiro) and has a low instep (personally I'm not a fan of the last, but that's my own preference). Olfe on the other hand is not a slim last and has a normal instep compared to my C&Js, Churches and G&G TG73, I'd say. Members with more experience of all Mermin lasts may comment further.

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Terror, any further information on your black/grey museum MTO?

Will post the pictures of it later. Essentially, the special features im looking at will be the specialized insole and also black painted soles. I think it will go well with the whole asthetics

griffon_id

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Will post the pictures of it later. Essentially, the special features im looking at will be the specialized insole and also black painted soles. I think it will go well with the whole asthetics 

Thanks. So the basic design is same as the plum museum oxford from Meermin's website (punched captoe)?

Piqued

Reaction score

Agrajag

Reaction score
That's great, thanks. Trying to decide between these and the Herring Colthams to wear with denim and casual fits.Thoughts? The sole on the Herrings are pretty weird...

The Colthams look very similar with slightly darker color perhaps.

I must admit I didn't get the "wow" feeling opening the box, but I would definitely have kept them if the fit was right.

The sole looks pretty weird, but I wouldn't care about that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads