• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geran Brown

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone in this thread could help...I am trying to find a last similar to the Gaziano & Girling TG73 (see below). I am guessing that the New Rey is similar but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Meermin Lasts

Gaziano & Girling Lasts

All Tatters

Reaction score
@ Geran Brown: The Ben last and the Ben last only.

The New Rey is much more elongated and rounded, not square at all.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Classic collection dark brown oxford on the Hiro last. http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2034
672_med.jpg

Still a bit tight width wise, will get some sore feet after a few hours of wear. Long break in period? I sized up to a UK 8.5 from my regular UK 7.5

11460789184_ec33446c86_c.jpg

Managed to scuff the right cap toe at the end of the event. Was heartbreaking. You can't notice it but for any shoe fanatic ... :(

Last edited:

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classic collection dark brown oxford on the Hiro last. http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2034
672_med.jpg

Still a bit tight width wise, will get some sore feet after a few hours of wear. Long break in period? I sized up to a UK 8.5 from my regular UK 7.5

11460789184_ec33446c86_c.jpg

Managed to scuff the right cap toe at the end of the event. Was heartbreaking. You can't notice it but for any shoe fanatic ...
frown.gif

A scuff, how dare you sir! :p I had the same shoe and they take a bit to break in but they do infact break in - mine are now and very much enjoy them, however I have on one or two occasions been caught out and worn them on days when I have ended up walking quite a bit...on those days my feet are usually still sore at the end of the day, although you could probably argue most dress shoes would be under those circumstances.

Manofpaisley

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have relatively short, wide feet (which a big problem when shoe buying for me)and am searching to the ends of the earth for a pair of black whole cuts which are relatively cheap and not bespoke, and these ones from meermin seem pretty good,

http://www.meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1920

But i'm not sure as to whether the shoe, if i do get it, will be a snug fit, but have a lot of room at the front of the shoe. I do have some shoes like this that are fine, but i have others that i have to discard. whats your opinion guys

Regards, Man of Paisley

Silhouette

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have relatively short, wide feet (which a big problem when shoe buying for me)and am searching to the ends of the earth for a pair of black whole cuts which are relatively cheap and not bespoke, and these ones from meermin seem pretty good,

http://www.meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1920

But i'm not sure as to whether the shoe, if i do get it, will be a snug fit, but have a lot of room at the front of the shoe. I do have some shoes like this that are fine, but i have others that i have to discard. whats your opinion guys

Regards, Man of Paisley

How short is "relatively short"? And what size are you looking to buy? How much room in the toebox are you expecting? (in cm).

Manofpaisley

Reaction score
silhouette,

my feet are 26.5 cm long and 106 cm wide, im thinking of buying it in the size 11 UK but i am usually a size 9/9.5 in Uk sizes, but if i buy it in size 9.5 it would be around the right amount of space from toe to the front of the shoe, but not wide enough, whereas if i bout the 11 UK the width would be fine, but the length would be longer than necessary

Hope to hear from you soon, with regards, Man of Paisley

stupendous

Reaction score
I ordered the suede monks in the Ama last, and when I first tried them on, I panicked as they were tight! But, after a little while, they seemed to relax and to be just snug. Being suede, i expect them to stretch a bit more than just plain calf.

My question is that I am looking to order these:

http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1967

And I see that the new Ray last seems a bit narrower. I am a 10E in most shoes, EG's 888, and I found the 10 in the Olfe last quite comfortable (I bought Gyasih's MTO at the marketplace). Should I order a 10, or a 10.5? I am concerned that, while the 10.5 might be ok width-wise, it may be a bit long.

Any thoughts?

Agrajag

Reaction score
I am considering buyng a pair of their boots in tan country calf.

How would these handle the rough Norwegian winter? No matter how careful I am, they will have see their share of snow, ice, slush and salt...

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am considering buyng a pair of their boots in tan country calf.

How would these handle the rough Norwegian winter? No matter how careful I am, they will have see their share of snow, ice, slush and salt...

In terms of boots for those conditions danite or rubber sole is a must so that's a +1 for the boots. I suspect the gain calf will also resist or show the effects of that weather a little less as well.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

silhouette,

my feet are 26.5 cm long and 106 cm wide, im thinking of buying it in the size 11 UK but i am usually a size 9/9.5 in Uk sizes, but if i buy it in size 9.5 it would be around the right amount of space from toe to the front of the shoe, but not wide enough, whereas if i bout the 11 UK the width would be fine, but the length would be longer than necessary

Hope to hear from you soon, with regards, Man of Paisley

You can't buy UK10,5-UK11 shoes with those measurements, you will have like 5 cm in front of your toes and the flex point will be all wrong. Sucks to have "weird" feet, but if you end up buying ill fitting shoes even if they are cheap they will end up very costly. I mean you are probably more of a UK7,5 very wide fit or something like that. The best option might be to go MTO with a company that offers extra wide fit. Not sure if Meermin does, they do offer wide fit, but for example Vass offers their shoes in H-width (standard is F), and their MTO costs €520 which is very good considering they are completely hand made with oak bark tanned soles and great materials.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more - buy a last that fits. I see a lot of pics on this forum of guys who have a shoe that's at least a size too big on a narrow last: even if it's not uncomfortable, which it often will be, it ends up with the toe of the shoe looking like a separate being, pointing off askance with a life of its own. Check the G&G thread for obvious examples! Or pretty much anything French.

I'd be interested to know what shoe you have now that fit well.

Manofpaisley

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses j and Mimo, I think your right, with a lasts that comes to such a point as most wholecuts do, meermin isn't really an option

With the note that J made, is ordering with vass easy?, do they consult you about what you'd like?, Do you have any experience with them and if you do how does the process work?

Regards, Man of Paisley

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads