• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

armsignet

Reaction score
I think Meermin has the best style/$$$ but I have found the quality to be a mixed bag. I would suggest to anyone to either spring for top line (linea maestro) or move on to another shoemaker.

I got a pair of wholecut bals from the the linea maestro line, and they were great for the price. Not flawless, but I enjoy wearing them more than other costlier shoes I own. So I tried a pair of calfskins from their 'standard' line to see the quality.

I was disappointed upon opening my new arrival to find that 1) the shoes were unbalanced in that they rock back and forth on the heels and are thus not wearable in their delivered condition, and 2) Meermin provided one big bag rather than two individual bags for storage. Maybe the second point is minor, but how much can a proper set of shoe bags cost over one big bag?

I would say that it is wholly unacceptable for a manufacturer to ship out unbalanced shoes, but I have actually received Aldens from an Alden store that were unbalanced before too. Maybe I just have bad luck. It is really a pain to have to trust a local cobbler to finish the shoes properly (burned once already on the Aldens) or have to send them back to Europe.

I will also add that I ordered a calfskin belt and was unimpressed. I am no belt connoisseur, but it felt flimsy like a $15 department store standby.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the unbalanced could have happened to any shoe of any line. I think the standard line offers pretty good value for money v quality. As much as I like meermin for the money spent on the Linea line I think the 1880 Loakes offer better quality for the price. Disappointing to hear about the belts, glad that discussion came up when I did because I had been getting read to order a cpl of them.

cappedncollared

Reaction score
I was disappointed upon opening my new arrival to find that 1) the shoes were unbalanced in that they rock back and forth on the heels and are thus not wearable in their delivered condition, and 2) Meermin provided one big bag rather than two individual bags for storage. Maybe the second point is minor, but how much can a proper set of shoe bags cost over one big bag?

My brown captoes from the standard line had the same balance issue.

I took the rather crude, but necessary, action of grinding the front edge of the heel on concrete by pivoting on the ball of my foot while wearing. This leveled out the shoe a fair bit.

Before doing this they were honestly dangerous. I slipped a few times walking on smooth surfaces such as a building lobby. The imbalance leads to a mid-stride moment where the full body is placed on a very small surface area of the heel. It's a scary moment when it starts sliding.

MikkelM

Reaction score
The C&J 325 size 11 US is a little narrow in the toe box for me (my little toe gets squeezed)
- does anyone know how the fit on the Rui last compares?

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My brown captoes from the standard line had the same balance issue.

I took the rather crude, but necessary, action of grinding the front edge of the heel on concrete by pivoting on the ball of my foot while wearing. This leveled out the shoe a fair bit.

Before doing this they were honestly dangerous. I slipped a few times walking on smooth surfaces such as a building lobby. The imbalance leads to a mid-stride moment where the full body is placed on a very small surface area of the heel. It's a scary moment when it starts sliding.

These stories are getting crazy. I'm really tempted to try Meermin as they have great styling, but all these QC stories make me think it's too much of a gamble.

engar

Reaction score
I´m visiting Madrid this weekend, hope to find something interesting at Meermins and/or Caminas shops.

danne888

Reaction score
I just got my Meermin country calf shoes after 6 weeks. They did however send me the wrong size!!! I ordered 9,5 and got 8,5. Has this happened to anyone else here? I dont want to wait another 6 weeks to get the right size..im starting to regret not buying Crockett & Jones Conistion instead of this shoe..

Last edited:

Meermin

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I just got my Meermin country calf shoes after 6 weeks. They did however send me the wrong size!!! I ordered 9,5 and got 8,5. Has this happened to anyone else here? I dont want to wait another 6 weeks to get the right size..im starting to regret not buying Crockett & Jones Conistion instead of this shoe..

Hi Sir,

We might have mixed up your order with another one. Please email us at [email protected] and we will solve thst issue as soon as possible.

Sorry for the inconveniences.

Best regards,

- Meermin -

- Meermin Mallorca Shoes -

If you need any further information or assistance please contact us at: [email protected]
MTO inquiries please contact Pepe at: [email protected]

phonesaelme

Reaction score
I think I'll be quite sad if they start a wholesale business. There's a certain charm with them not having an online store and everything being done person to person via email. That said, I understand if they do. It's clearly an easier proposition for them to get sales on a larger scale when they don't have to deal with the point of sale area, so to speak, but I can't help but seeing them go the same way as Grenson or Loake and the value bleeding out over time.
gCmKkL

I've got a pair of tan longwings and black captoes in production for my next order, I'll make sure to post some pictures when I get them :)
The nice thing about their current arrangement is they control their products start to fulfillment. Brokers with tell you otherwise, but the fact is, you lose total control of your products once others begin selling it. You can't police how it is positioned and there is nothing to stop vendors (aside from pricing floor maps which are pretty hard to enforce if you are distributing around the world). Shop/store owners want margin, and if they can squeeze more out of your product they will. A product like Meermin's could be sold in America at twice the price, which, as you said, bleeds the value out over time. I'm not saying there aren't good honest brokers out there who adhere to the rules, I'm jus saying.

The downside of their current arrangement is that they don't have the distribution they could acquire through wholesale.That being said, with labor as cheap as it is in Spain, Meermin could certainly build a big on line business if they expand their fulfillment capabilities in Spain and expand their website both on the front end and on the back end.

Direct to customer usually offers the least headaches and the most margin. My dot coms are by far the most profitable and least worrisome part of my business.

Last edited:

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do I actually contact and get replies from Meermin? I have tried emailing them 3-4 times, and haven't gotten any replies.

DC2see

Reaction score

How do I actually contact and get replies from Meermin? I have tried emailing them 3-4 times, and haven't gotten any replies. 

Maybe it depends what you're asking. I kept emails short with clear questions & received responses within a day.

danne888

Reaction score
Hi Sir,

We might have mixed up your order with another one. Please email us at [email protected] and we will solve thst issue as soon as possible.

Sorry for the inconveniences.

Best regards,

- Meermin -

- Meermin Mallorca Shoes -

If you need any further information or assistance please contact us at: [email protected]
MTO inquiries please contact Pepe at: [email protected]

Well, i emailed through the contact form at Meermin.es but no answer as of yet...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads