• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Ironically, the cedar in question is undoubtedly from the USA, before being sent to China and made into shoe trees, then shipped by Frenchmen back to California and its bereaved relatives...

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stretch marks. Museum calf MTO by Meermin.

Right shoe.

Left shoe.

I have worked with leather for 10+ years, this is a separation between the flesh and skin. Most likely near a flex point on the cow. This can and does happen with all hides. They only way to know if the flesh is separated is if you bend the leather backwards, which is clear in the images above. The maker would need to have an understanding of hide cuts and flex points to predict this. It is likely that at no point would a worker bend the leather backwards to test this. The person clicking the leather and the person constructing the shoe, even at inspection it would not be common to check this.

I am in the next grouping for this exact shoe, and I am not worried in the least. Leather is a natural product and will have flaws no matter who tans the leather or manufactures the shoe. I would chalk it up to character, but that is just me.

David-

MRMstl

Reaction score
I have worked with leather for 10+ years, this is a separation between the flesh and skin. Most likely near a flex point on the cow. This can and does happen with all hides. They only way to know if the flesh is separated is if you bend the leather backwards, which is clear in the images above. The maker would need to have an understanding of hide cuts and flex points to predict this. It is likely that at no point would a worker bend the leather backwards to test this. The person clicking the leather and the person constructing the shoe, even at inspection it would not be common to check this.

I am in the next grouping for this exact shoe, and I am not worried in the least. Leather is a natural product and will have flaws no matter who tans the leather or manufactures the shoe. I would chalk it up to character, but that is just me.

David-
Amen, brother.

AKA shoo sprez

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

David-

Well that's my point. New leather, inexperienced clicker. But it could and should be checked. Bending the eyelet tabs back and forth is one of the few tests to see the quality of the leather/shoes. And mine failed.

Completely unacceptable if my bespoke pairs turn out like this. But meh, its just some interesting MTO exercises with Meermin.

And you are right, it's "character", for better or for worse. Mostly worse.

p.s., for a list of checks on good vs bad quality shoes, check Men's Ex Ultimate Shoe Maintenance magazine special issue, page 104. Those "characters" are viewed as badly made shoes.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The same thing happened to my AS handgrades. After wearing for 6 months on a rotation basis, the left shoe looks like it was a pair from a different vintage as the right shoe. I've sworn off the brand completely and moved on. My 2 pairs of meermin cost less than that and have no issues like that. I've no doubt it was both a clicker issue and a cost saving exercise.

I've downgraded to "lesser shoes" because for the disappointment is less with them. That said, those with really bad creases on one pair should really watch it, those shoes will age so differently that they are no longer presentable. Someone remarked that I played football with the left shoe on because thats how badly it aged.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those suggesting people are looking for Lobb quality at Meermin prices I would say only that 330 Euros isn't cheap for shoes. If it is for you, great! I'm happy for you but allow that for those who don't have your disposable income, paying that amount and waiting 5 months to get a less than happy result might lead to some complaints. Just my 2p worth

If you don't have the cash to play with the big boys, then don't be surprised when the result isn't what you were hoping for. You took a risk by attempting to recreate a JL shoe with JL quality leather for a third of the price. Quality control has never been meermin's strong suit. You took the risk that your 330eu shoes would be similar to 1000eu shoes, and you lost. If this was a lot for you to spend, perhaps a trip to the local Allen Edmonds store would be better for you. You could look at them, try them on, etc and the customer service is second to none.

btw, the obsession over creasing is so lame. Its a pair of shoes, deal with it. Some of my shoes, from cheaper to far more expensive, have some errant creases. Do I sit here and cry about it? No, i polish them up the best I can, wear them, and don't think about it again. Seriously, get a grip.

MRMstl

Reaction score
First, the pics...

My thoughts....

First pair of Meermin arrived today (Model 102461, navy calf). Ordered on May 20th and arrived today, June 4 (would have arrived last Friday if not for weather). Dinged for $30.80 of customs from UPS. Total bill $360.

After all the hub-bub on here, the first thing I did was fold the vamp backwards and, sure enough, got the aforementioned creases. Other detailing notes: some (quite a few actually) of the punches didn't get fully punched, leaving quite a bit of scrap leather in the holes. See last two photos (one with flash, one w/o). The one with flash overexagerates the problem.

Color is definitely midnight blue, which I am happy with as that's what I wanted. Look black at first glance until the light hits them. Haven't seen them in the sun yet.

Overall look and fit is very nice, and two weeks time order to delivery was better than expected based on what I had been reading. I have a very high instep so there is a little more spread on the vamp than I like, but that is nothing unique to this brand. Hopefully it will reduce a bit as I weare them.

I am already in on the hatchgrain MTO wholecut, and nothing from this first order has discouraged me from that order. However, for the price I am more impressed with Herring Premiere collection. Despite the finishing issues, I will order from them again.

Just my $.02

MRM

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, MRM. I just ordered the same shoe in brown last week. Still have not received the invoice for payment.

MRMstl

Reaction score
you won't receive the invoice until they are ready to ship. They seem to carry very little stock, so almost every order requires some construction. I didn't get my invoice until 8 days after my order. Copied below is my order log from Meermin's site. Arrived from Spain 5 days after shipping, which as I said was originally scheduled for 2 days.

• 21/may/2013 Order introduced into the system.
  • 21/may/2013 Order initiated.
  • 29/may/2013 Order finished.
  • 29/may/2013 Order paid.
  • 30/may/2013 Order send it.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you won't receive the invoice until they are ready to ship. They seem to carry very little stock, so almost every order requires some construction. I didn't get my invoice until 8 days after my order. Copied below is my order log from Meermin's site. Arrived from Spain 5 days after shipping, which as I said was originally scheduled for 2 days.

• 21/may/2013 Order introduced into the system.
  • 21/may/2013 Order initiated.
  • 29/may/2013 Order finished.
  • 29/may/2013 Order paid.
  • 30/may/2013 Order send it.

Y'up, I know the drill. This is my second order from Meermin. I had hoped that ordering on the first day the model was available in brown might mean there was inventory stored up, but should have known better based on how Meermin does things.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Austerity group. Is there any more input on changes to the design or are you all happy to go with my tweaks? I want to send it to Pepe tomorrow

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Austerity group. Is there any more input on changes to the design or are you all happy to go with my tweaks? I want to send it to Pepe tomorrow
Your shopped picture looks great! Just ask him to pay attention to creasing
nest.gif
(seriously though, I'd be disappointed if my boots would crease like crazy).

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your shopped picture looks great! Just ask him to pay attention to creasing
nest.gif
(seriously though, I'd be disappointed if my boots would crease like crazy).
Thanks for getting back so quickly. I don't think they will due to them using their standard leather and a pretty standard pattern on this. Who knows tho. As for the arseholes stirring the pot; they can go throw shite at themselves while playing with the big boys

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads