• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got a MTO cap toe with broguing + medallion a month or less away, got sent photos of it ready to be lasted last week. Pretty excited to see how it turns out. I got it on the rui last because I wanted a rounded and more country type feel to it.

Thanks looking forward to seeing photos. Thinking green shell but not sure about details yet so trying to get some ideas.

smoothmoose

Reaction score
Let me know if you have a good experience, ordering the right size. I'm usually US7.5 and my foot measures 25.5cm x 10.6cm, so I'm my feet are even wider than yours. Luisa also told me to go with UK7.5, but I don't just quite trust this. I'm trying to understand how the wider lasts fits for other people. I'm eliminating all shoes with their narrow last, especially with the recent posts about abnormal creasing, which is probably due to longer lasts on people with wider feet.

I did provide my reference to AE sizing on the 5 last (8eee) in my previous post, which seemed to get overlooked by the constant argumentative posts that followed.

I believe my brannock measurement was an 8e, but I had to go wider on the two pairs that I have now since they run narrow. my approximate foot measurement is 26cm by 10.2cm

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Do Meermin do green shell? I was under the impression they only did light/dark brown, burgundy and black. Red, green, blue, etc would be welcome options.

Wow, lots of discussion on MTO and QC at the moment. Hoping some folks can provide a second opinion on Meermin sizing for wide feet.
Quote:
Try the Rui last in your normal Uk size (US -1). It's a surprisingly roomy last, with a nice amount of height in the toebox and through the instep. Can't say I'd be trying to fit in anything Meermin makes if I was more than an American EE or maybe E, though, unless you special order a wider fitting.

Last edited:

smoothmoose

Reaction score
Good idea. I will send them an outline as well. But I'm probably a RUI last as well given the feedback here.

I can only compare it to an AE EEE (can't recall the last, sorry), and both fit acceptably!

I drew an outline of my foot, with measurements, and emailed it to them. They advised which lasts/sizes would be suitable, and were pretty much on the money.

smoothmoose

Reaction score
Thanks.

Try the Rui last in your normal Uk size (US -1). It's a surprisingly roomy last, with a nice amount of height in the toebox and through the instep. Can't say I'd be trying to fit in anything Meermin makes if I was more than an American EE or maybe E, though, unless you special order a wider fitting.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't want a shoe to crease?

Don't wear it.

Seriously, some people... :facepalm:

Why the 'tude? Shoes crease, no problem but a new shoe that looks like an elephants ball sack after a couple of hours wear? Not so good. This is surely the very place to raise such issues

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
And they shouldn't ever crease on the side. Or have mis-aligned toecaps or different coloured uppers for either foot!

jamesryan123

Reaction score

Good idea. I will send them an outline as well. But I'm probably a RUI last as well given the feedback here.

I am 26cm long and 10.5 wide and found a 7.5uk in hiro dub monk to be too tight. Preference is part of the fit as some like a looser shoe than others. I tried to reorder an 8 but told it would be approx 40 days so went with some markowski dub monks instead. Wait and see how they compare in terms of quality and fit.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I would suggest getting a shoe in another last. Getting a longer version of the same shoe in order to make it wide enough, might well lead to some of the problems above.

Benjaminba

Reaction score
Wow, lots of discussion on MTO and QC at the moment. Hoping some folks can provide a second opinion on Meermin sizing for wide feet.

For reference, here are the measurements of the rui last in size UK7 and UK7.5 given to me by Luisa.

> RUI
> L 294mm shoe sole 7UK - L 298mm shoe sole 7,5UK.
> W 105mm shoe sole 7UK - W 106mm shoe sole 7,5UK.
> L 276mm last(insole)7UK - L 280mm last(insole)7,5UK.
> W 098mm last(insole)7UK - W 099mm last(insole)7,5UK.
> Foot 25,6 cm 7UK - Foot 26 cm 7,5UK.

My feet are 26cm x 9,6cm or thereabouts. I just placed an order on the country boot in UK7.5, which is what Luisa recommended. I did specify that I want to be able to wear somewhat thick wool socks in them, though. If it was for a regular shoe I probably would've gone with UK7, but my feet aren't that wide anyway. Just hope the sizing works out!
smile.gif

smoothmoose

Reaction score
Thanks very helpful. Looks like Rui in UK7 is for me. I'll send of my trace and confirm with Luisa.
For reference, here are the measurements of the rui last in size UK7 and UK7.5 given to me by Luisa.
> RUI > L 294mm shoe sole 7UK - L 298mm shoe sole 7,5UK. > W 105mm shoe sole 7UK - W 106mm shoe sole 7,5UK. > L 276mm last(insole)7UK - L 280mm last(insole)7,5UK. > W 098mm last(insole)7UK - W 099mm last(insole)7,5UK. > Foot 25,6 cm 7UK - Foot 26 cm 7,5UK.

My feet are 26cm x 9,6cm or thereabouts. I just placed an order on the country boot in UK7.5, which is what Luisa recommended. I did specify that I want to be able to wear somewhat thick wool socks in them, though. If it was for a regular shoe I probably would've gone with UK7, but my feet aren't that wide anyway. Just hope the sizing works out!
smile.gif

eyeofthetig3r

Reaction score
I think Meermin might be sending out shoes that can be considered seconds to their customers. I just received my order today in the mail and both items have blemishes on the leather. The calf leather has some discoloration on both shoes and the suede nap on the chukka boots is damaged on both shoes and very rough looking similar to the suede double monks a few posts ago.

PorDucMan

Reaction score
Just received my firat pair of Meermins and I must say it was a disappointment! The suede on the left shoe seems to be damaged as it has become thready and is of lighter color than the right one!

^ That's true. They're very affordable and offer good customer service for shoes of that price point.

It is not a question about value.. To me these shoes are worthless..

Thanks for sharing this. I've just canceled my order for pair of LM suede derbies. For me, it is just not worth waiting weeks or months for RTW shoes, given what I perceive as a relatively high probability that there will be quality issues that would warrant returning them. I'd rather pay more and receive something that would pass a simple QC check.

ltontheqt

Reaction score
I am receiving my first pair in a couple weeks. For the price, I thought it was worth a shot. Hope I don't face the same issues. I can live with lesser quality but not different colors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads