• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the classic line is good value and some nice styles there, my brown captoes must be getting on the better part of a year and they can still polish up great but imo the leather on the 1880s is better, again compared to the classic line.

tommygoodkin

Reaction score
I think the classic line is good value and some nice styles there, my brown captoes must be getting on the better part of a year and they can still polish up great but imo the leather on the 1880s is better, again compared to the classic line.
Disagree. They both have pros and cons but Meermin leather quality is superior. The 1880 calf is hardly mediocre, the suede on the other hand is quite nice.

Putonghua73

Reaction score

Disagree. They both have pros and cons but Meermin leather quality is superior. The 1880 calf is hardly mediocre, the suede on the other hand is quite nice. 

Respectfully disagree. The operative comparison mentioned was "Classic" range.

I bought 101333 Black Calf Single Monks on the AMA last and 101332 Black Calf Wholecuts on the AMA last. Note: back in summer 2012, Meermin's line was smaller in variety but especially colour. Excellent price / quality, however even to my untrained eye, the finishing on the edges (snags, hairline cracks, etc) falls below Loake 1880 standards.

I also think that the leather quality is better on the Loake 1880s. However, I found the Classic line Single Monks to be much more comfortable and supple than the Loake 1880 Aldwych (probably a sizing issue due to the Capital last on the Aldwych), but not as comfortable as the Cornwall (Duke last). Addendum: scratch that. Cornwall is a better fit but I find the Single Monks a tad more comfortable. Especially since I had them re-soled (Dainite).

In terms of LM, although I have a pair of 102461 Dark Brown Oxford Cap Toes, I have not worn them enough (bought 10.5 based upon narrowness of Olfe last and giving Meermin my measurements based upon my incorrect fitting on the Capital last) to make a comparison. However, even on the LM there still appears imperfections during the construction that are visible (upon SF close inspection) that I haven't noticed on my Loake 1880s. In fairness, Meermin did have QC issues back in 2012 and these may have been ironed out.

Now I wished I hadn't revisited this thread because Meermin have increased their range since last I looked re: 102480 Plum Museum Calf Oxford Toe Caps.

Loake 1880 Aldwych (Oxford Toe Cap) size 10: a little too much room in the toe box. Also a tad too wide. 9.5 would be better.
Loake 1880 Duke (Derby) size 9.5: excellent fit both in toe box and snugness.
Meermin AMA (Single Monks) size 10: maybe a little slippage at the heel but good fit in narrowness.
Meermin AMA (Wholecuts) size 10: same as Aldwych - a little too much width.
Meermin Olfe (Oxford Toe Cap) size 10.5: too much room in toe box and a little too wide. Should not have sized up.

Last edited:

leetpuma

Reaction score
That is the lighting. I have three pairs of cordovan shoes and direct sunlight brings out undertones in all of them. For dark brown cordovan, it brings out a #8 like undertone for a mahogony color. They are simple dark brown indoors.

Sunlight

Indoor fluorescent lighting

Are these your shoes?

I was wondering how the shell cordovan is wearing? (Color consistency, creasing, sheen/shinyness, strength, ...)
We don't seen many reviews of meermin shell cordovan and I would be really interested in hearing about it.

traviller

Reaction score
Yes they are mine. So far so good. Meermin's cordovan seems thinner and gets shinier than my other cordovan shoes which are very durable and more matte. Downside is they show wear and creasing more quickly so need to take good care of them: shoe trees, horsehair brush, saphir renovateur especially if they get wet spots (they've already lived through several spilled beers).

Jokanevad

Reaction score
Regarding the suede semi-brogue, I´ve been in contact with Pepe and he told me that the GMTO is OK and that they can source high quality suede any time they like :)
So it seems everything is good to go for our GMTO, the only problem is that myself and some other people that has contacted me want the new last to be launched before ordering.
Therefore I will put this GMTO on hold until the new last is "released" and pick up the order then. Hope everyone that wants to anticipate is ok with this.

Pepe told me that the new last is only some weeks away! :D

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Regarding the suede semi-brogue, I´ve been in contact with Pepe and he told me that the GMTO is OK and that they can source high quality suede any time they like :)
So it seems everything is good to go for our GMTO, the only problem is that myself and some other people that has contacted me want the new last to be launched before ordering.
Therefore I will put this GMTO on hold until the new last is "released" and pick up the order then. Hope everyone that wants to anticipate is ok with this.

Pepe told me that the new last is only some weeks away! :D

Are you doing the copper suede then or still snuff suede?

Jokanevad

Reaction score
Are you doing the copper suede then or still snuff suede?
Well, when you mention it I could be up for the copper suede if more people are interested in it! It sure looks really nice :D It´ll come down to which one most people are interested in.

Could I please ask everyone who wants in on the potential suede semi-brogue GMTO to PM me to confirm their interest and please specify which last and suede colour they want :) That way we can get the order on the way as soon as the new last is available.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is this an Oxford / bal or a derby / blucher?

If the latter I would be interested in copper suede.

golfinz

Reaction score
Last edited:

leetpuma

Reaction score
Does anyone have Pepe's email? I wanted to get a recommendation regarding sizing for the following shoes:

http://www.meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1971

http://www.meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1966

http://www.meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2723

Basically, if I should get different sizes for the new rey or olfe lasts. Or, if a MTO wasn't too much more, I wanted to get some pricing/etc. I need a new black dress shoe bad
email [email protected]
Pepe is way too busy for normal requests.

leetpuma

Reaction score
Yes they are mine. So far so good. Meermin's cordovan seems thinner and gets shinier than my other cordovan shoes which are very durable and more matte. Downside is they show wear and creasing more quickly so need to take good care of them: shoe trees, horsehair brush, saphir renovateur especially if they get wet spots (they've already lived through several spilled beers).

Good to know!!!

I just bought some shell dark brown balmoral boots. And was always cautious of it since I have not heard much about it.

I wonder if the shell is not tanned as deeply as horween shell since they show wear more easily.

That and conditioning shell has always been weird since shell is actually not even "leather" per say. Its an membrane of tight fibers that resisde under the skin. (I believe.)
Cool pic of shell:
http://lordpoint.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/screen-shot-2013-12-13-at-1-40-09-pm.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads