• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, 5 months after first placing my order for the shell PTBs that ended up having the finish issues, I finally got my money back.

Obviously I was disappointed in the finished product, and wish their quality control had been a bit better. I haven't seen anyone else have the same problems to the degree my shoes had them, though, so maybe my experience was a fluke.

The long turnaround time on everything was a pain, too. It took longer than expected to make them, longer than expected for me to receive them, longer than expected for them to be returned and processed through customs and for my refund to be processed. I don't fault Meermin for any of that; it's just the downside of doing business overseas like this.

I still think Meermin offer a great value, and wouldn't be opposed to owning some of their non-shell shoes in the future (I don't trust the shell they use or the way they seem to go about finishing it). I probably won't order any just because of the hassle with shipping and customs and the like, but I bear them no ill will and hope they keep growing the business. Five months is just not worth the $200 savings over AEs or Aldens or other options that are available in the US.

lychyrychy

Reaction score

Well, 5 months after first placing my order for the shell PTBs that ended up having the finish issues, I finally got my money back.
Obviously I was disappointed in the finished product, and wish their quality control had been a bit better. I haven't seen anyone else have the same problems to the degree my shoes had them, though, so maybe my experience was a fluke.
The long turnaround time on everything was a pain, too. It took longer than expected to make them, longer than expected for me to receive them, longer than expected for them to be returned and processed through customs and for my refund to be processed. I don't fault Meermin for any of that; it's just the downside of doing business overseas like this.
I still think Meermin offer a great value, and wouldn't be opposed to owning some of their non-shell shoes in the future (I don't trust the shell they use or the way they seem to go about finishing it). I probably won't order any just because of the hassle with shipping and customs and the like, but I bear them no ill will and hope they keep growing the business. Five months is just not worth the $200 savings over AEs or Aldens or other options that are available in the US.

yeah the down side of buying shoes with Meermin

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like my burgundy shell longwings, but do not think they compare with AE and Alden shell. And, at $450 with brokerage fees, they're not that much cheaper than AE shell on sale. If I buy more shell, I'll probably spring for AE or the RL Marlow. I think Meermin's real sweet spot is the Linea Maestro line in calfskin: great price for a high quality shoe. That's my next Meermin purchase.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Five months is just not worth the $200 savings over AEs or Aldens or other options that are available in the US.

Caveat emptor, I waited several months for my Aldens that I just sent back last week for repair several weeks after receiving. I believe they were a bit more than $200 over what you paid, likely, too.

lychyrychy

Reaction score
I personally think their MTO program is great, one for price, two for flexibility, and three for quality. That is their sweet spot for me :)

konda

Reaction score
Heh don't knwo yet. It has taken me 6 months to find my last and size so haven't done any polishing yet. Only judging by the ones I've seen live and on others' feet.

Zarium

Reaction score
How about John Lobb Phillip II? Black or Brown or Suede? I know our last MTO program allowed for 2 different colors, so I wonder if Meermin would be flexible and allow Calf and Suede with variety of color if we have a bigger group buy?
Reason for this is that I haven't seen any other brand besides Lobb having the brogueing on the throat of the shoes.
happy.gif

A

Broguing on the throat? Do you mean that strip that separates the captoe from the rest of the shoe?

If so, there are plenty of brands that do so. Crockett & Jones for one - their Belgrave especially, a very fine shoe.

lychyrychy

Reaction score

Broguing on the throat? Do you mean that strip that separates the captoe from the rest of the shoe?

If so, there are plenty of brands that do so. Crockett & Jones for one - their Belgrave especially, a very fine shoe.

Sorry for not being clear. What I meant was the stitching line near the laces. Instead of the stiches, it's a broguing line. Maybe my picture was not the best picture but you can google John Lobb Phillip II for better picture. :)

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's like a hybrid punched-cap-balmoral and adelaide. Never seen it before, but I like it - a good suggestion!

Last edited:

bespoken4me

Reaction score

Gentlemen....lets not turn this thread into personal quarrels. This is one of my favorite threads and have been following since the beginning and would like to keep it that way.

I agree, and for that wish to apologize to Quadcammer.

bespoken4me

Reaction score

serious boner for my MTO's....

They really are gorgeous and am assuming the Riu last? a little rounder toe box than the Hiro, but either way, you scored on both, last, design etc... I know the "planta paloma" generally refers to the sole treatment, but yours have that nice lacquer finish in the style of Bontoni and Berllutti. Is the Planta finish also inclusive of the treatment of the uppers? beautiful, beautiful choice for MTO

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads