• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I don't think SAs are trying to push their taste so much as they're trying to make a sale. They're all working off of commission -- so whether something fits their taste or your taste, they're going to say it looks great so they can earn their 10% of whatever.

There's one really nicely dressed guy at Wilkes Bashford (used to work at De Corato). I've bought things from him and he acted the same as any SA I've purchased things from. He's not getting paid to make me look good; he's getting paid to push products.

I certainly understand that and have mitigated a lot of the "get it out the door" mentality by shopping places where SAs aren't on commission. However, if I walk in and one SA is dressed more similarly to how I am/like to dress vs. one who does not, I'll rely on the former to suggest a tie or shirt or whatever. Not to say I follow them blindly, nor is it to say their advice will be rooted in what the really like, but all else being equal I'll go with the guy who seems to share my proclivities (for better or worse). Again, this all assumes I'm relying on them for some level of guidance or insight.

I wouldn't buy Rick Owens from a guy in Vineyard Vines.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Area Man Under Impression He Got Dressed Up

PROVIDENCE, RI—Explaining that the dinner he would soon be having at an upscale restaurant required him to wear something a bit special, local man Kyle Finnegan was under the impression that he had just gotten dressed up, sources said Thursday. “It’s a really nice place, so I figured I should put on my best,” said Finnegan, who reportedly seemed to think he had made clothing and grooming choices that will be regarded as appropriate for the semi-formal occasion. “I don’t have to wear a tuxedo or anything, but at a place like this, you can’t just show up in the usual.” At press time, Finnegan appeared to believe that he may have even overdressed.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About half of the Pitti feed of pics shows guys with a narrow cut white trouser. In the last year, I can't seem to have found any RTW. Any suggestions?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Buttoning only the bottom button is officially a thing. Mother of God.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About half of the Pitti feed of pics shows guys with a narrow cut white trouser. In the last year, I can't seem to have found any RTW. Any suggestions?

I don't know if they still have them, but I picked up a pair of white, cotton trousers from Land's End a few years back.

They're made out of a nice, thick cotton which is entirely opaque (unlike some other white trousers that I've seen).

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes. Stop looking at Pitti feeds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads