• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread - maybe the first I've read on SF in years

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a good thread, but some entirely gratuitous pictures of women with large breasts would make it better still.

Gotcha!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing fewer SA's in downtown San Francisco stores wearing ties or jackets/suits. In Neiman Marcus most are still in a jacket and tie, but places like WIlkes and Barney's there is a mix of no tie/no suit and SA's with ties and jackets.

Do you think this makes them more approachable? Some SA's have indicated that they need to dress more relaxed to not intimidate certain customers. If you were an SA dealing with a wide range of people and styles would you wear a tie and jacket everyday?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm currently at a coffee shop in Williamsburg, Brooklyn wearing a full suit (fresco) on a disgustingly hot and humid day. I can't believe I am the only suited gentleman.

bertie

Reaction score
I prefer SAs to dress like the clothes they are selling - it gives me a clue as to whether any of their opinions can be trusted

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I'm seeing fewer SA's in downtown San Francisco stores wearing ties or jackets/suits. In Neiman Marcus most are still in a jacket and tie, but places like WIlkes and Barney's there is a mix of no tie/no suit and SA's with ties and jackets.

Do you think this makes them more approachable? Some SA's have indicated that they need to dress more relaxed to not intimidate certain customers. If you were an SA dealing with a wide range of people and styles would you wear a tie and jacket everyday?

I don't think it has to do with intimidation or even the comfort of the SA -- more to do with a wide range of clothing that is being sold. Stores like Barney's in particular (more so in their Co-Ops, but in the motherships as well) really seem to flirt the line between more experimental fashion and classic, well-made pieces. If I'm looking at buying something Raf, I'm not going to give much credence to the guy wearing Brioni. Which leads to bertie's thought...

I prefer SAs to dress like the clothes they are selling - it gives me a clue as to whether any of their opinions can be trusted

The other thing I will say is that SAs in suits/jackets and ties immediately rub me the right or wrong way. More formal clothing is much easier to objectively diagnose as good or bad. So if your shirt/tie/square combo, shoe selection or overall fit look like ****, the fact that you're more dressed up won't lead me to trust you any more. Granted, that may be more an indication of my SF/nerd roots, but I hate when SAs talk/act like experts yet dress as though they don't own a mirror.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever cared whether an SA is well dressed or not. Some guys are and some guys aren't, but that's never affected my ability to get good service from them.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I don't think I've ever cared whether an SA is well dressed or not. Some guys are and some guys aren't, but that's never affected my ability to get good service from them.

I've never based a purchase on whether a SA has been well-dressed or not. But if you dress like Steve Harvey's stunt double and offer advice as canon, you're not gonna get my business. I find that type of scenario is much more typical of large department stores, and therefore something I encounter less and less.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've never based a purchase on whether a SA has been well-dressed or not. But if you dress like Steve Harvey's stunt double and offer advice as canon, you're not gonna get my business. I find that type of scenario is much more typical of large department stores, and therefore something I encounter less and less.

I assume the Steve Harvey reference is an exaggeration, but seriously -- why would you care if an SA is dressed according to your tastes? If you're already in the store and considering a purchase, presumably you think the item is good, so what does it matter how the other person is dressed?

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I assume the Steve Harvey reference is an exaggeration, but seriously -- why would you care if an SA is dressed according to your tastes? If you're already in the store and considering a purchase, presumably you think the item is good, so what does it matter how the other person is dressed?

I mean it more in the context of them giving advice and how that advice is delivered. If I walk into Saks and know exactly what I want, the dude working there could be in a clown outfit and I'd still buy. But I have had multiple experiences where an SA has gone out of his way to push his personal tastes as the way things should be done -- whether that manifests as suggesting a jacket two sizes too big or advocating a Merlot shirt and black tie.

I don't mean to say someone dressed to my taste is better or worse at his job, I simply mean to say that if I'm looking for advice it pays to consult someone who gets where I'm coming from.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I mean it more in the context of them giving advice and how that advice is delivered. If I walk into Saks and know exactly what I want, the dude working there could be in a clown outfit and I'd still buy. But I have had multiple experiences where an SA has gone out of his way to push his personal tastes as the way things should be done -- whether that manifests as suggesting a jacket two sizes too big or advocating a Merlot shirt and black tie.

I don't think SAs are trying to push their taste so much as they're trying to make a sale. They're all working off of commission -- so whether something fits their taste or your taste, they're going to say it looks great so they can earn their 10% of whatever.

There's one really nicely dressed guy at Wilkes Bashford (used to work at De Corato). I've bought things from him and he acted the same as any SA I've purchased things from. He's not getting paid to make me look good; he's getting paid to push products.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics